• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Understanding fatal to Worship?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've come across a quote from Arthur C. Clarke (Profiles of the Future 1973) which chimes well with where I'm coming from in this thread.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Hence if there's a god and the god works miracles in reality then understanding that the miracle is in fact advanced technology (or science) will disincline the onlooker from worship, even though it may provoke admiration and covetousness.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't worship in the conventional sense of the word, but what I do is to meditate during services, plus I will praise that which created all (see my "My Faith Statement" at the bottom of the page).

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't worship in the conventional sense of the word, but what I do is to meditate during services, plus I will praise that which created all (see my "My Faith Statement" at the bottom of the page).
'Praise' as you'd say, 'Well done, Andrew Wiles'?

Or 'praise' as you'd say, 'Thank you, Jesus'?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What does a miracle make?

There are people who, for reasons that are foreign to me, assure me that it is somehow true and significant that there are angels, prophets from God, miracles, and worse of all: afterlives.

I can't help but sort of reluctantly admire their ability to treat those matters as if they were worth of attention. I don't think I could do that to save my life.

The miracles that I find worth of any attention are of another substance entirely. I am not even remotely interested in assurances that a certain "true" belief will open the doors to an aftelife in Heaven; that and a few dollars buy me a month of Netflix.

I will much rather pursue better understanding of the plights and conquests of human beings of good will and sharp minds. Of the courage of loving parents, of facing adversity for worthy causes, of accepting losses and pursuing gains for the correct, morally sound, love-supported reasons.

There is a veritable ocean of more religious worth in the sharp perception and pure smile of people at their best moments of inspiration than in any tales of the supernatural. Even if they somehow turn out to be "true".

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What does a miracle make?

There are people who, for reasons that are foreign to me, assure me that it is somehow true and significant that there are angels, prophets from God, miracles, and worse of all: afterlives.

I can't help but sort of reluctantly admire their ability to treat those matters as if they were worth of attention. I don't think I could do that to save my life.

The miracles that I find worth of any attention are of another substance entirely. I am not even remotely interested in assurances that a certain "true" belief will open the doors to an aftelife in Heaven; that and a few dollars buy me a month of Netflix.

I will much rather pursue better understanding of the plights and conquests of human beings of good will and sharp minds. Of the courage of loving parents, of facing adversity for worthy causes, of accepting losses and pursuing gains for the correct, morally sound, love-supported reasons.

There is a veritable ocean of more religious worth in the sharp perception and pure smile of people at their best moments of inspiration than in any tales of the supernatural. Even if they somehow turn out to be "true".
I strongly agree.

But if it could be shown that miracles occur in reality, would part of the solution be the demonstration that they were the deeds of a superscientist? In that case would the urge to worship be replaced by simple admiration and a human to human gratitude or the like?

Is mystery the essential ingredient in worship?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't really like to waste time thinking about so-called miracles, but I guess that makes sense.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
'Praise' as you'd say, 'Well done, Andrew Wiles'?

Or 'praise' as you'd say, 'Thank you, Jesus'?
Neither. More "Thank you whomever or whatever started our universe/multiverse, and also thank you to all those whom have helped us along the way".

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Neither. More "Thank you whomever or whatever started our universe/multiverse, and also thank you to all those whom have helped us along the way".
Thanks. That's interesting.

I notice you're hedging your bets on whether the universe exists via physics or via supernature. I guess I praise physics from time to time, but it's pretty situational. My broader gratitude is to the Greek - Moorish - renaissance - Enlightenment - reasoned enquiry line of tradition.