• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Truth Individual?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Often, including on RF, I hear people use phrases like, "your truth," "my truth," "true for me," "true for you," and so on.

Is truth individual? Or is it independent of us as individuals?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Pirandello said "there is no truth since each person has their own truth, which doesn't match with the others's".

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Often, including on RF, I hear people use phrases like, "your truth," "my truth," "true for me," "true for you," and so on.

Understanding of the truth is individual. So people call it my truth, your truth, truth to me and so on.

Last edited:

chinu

chinu

To whom you are asking this ?

I think, again the same story will continue. :)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
To me, truth is interchangeable with facts; you can't have your own facts that others haven't.

For me, 'truth' has never been some bizarre spiritual concept; something is true or not.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Just because many young children think 6 x 4 = 26 or 19 or 457 does not make mathematics "individual". Just because there are more ways to be wrong about something than there are ways to be right -- and most people are wrong -- does not make truth individual. And nor does the fact most people have no clue what 'truth' is, make truth individual.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Truth is not settling for seems so stories. Truth is actuality and virtues; nothing less.

I don't see the controversy about it! I mean everybody is looking for honesty. Nobody likes being rumored about. We all want truthfulness when people deal with us.

I never understood how truth is relative! Truth for some and not the other! I don't know.

Truth is as deserves! So if it were on a scale, we all weigh out who we trust and how much so.

Truth is a matter of trust.

I know some people add a lot on to truth in the way of doctrines, and stories that are required for their truth.

But I stick to the plain old truth!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
To me, truth is interchangeable with facts; you can't have your own facts that others haven't.

For me, 'truth' has never been some bizarre spiritual concept; something is true or not.

Truth is always relevant to the facts.

Just because many young children think 6 x 4 = 26 or 19 or 457 does not make mathematics "individual". Just because there are more ways to be wrong about something than there are ways to be right -- and most people are wrong -- does not make truth individual. And nor does the fact most people have no clue what 'truth' is, make truth individual.

Congratulations! You have found your own truth...

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Of course there are universal, scientific truths.
Pirandello's plays are real psychiatry essays, or psychology manuals.
They explain that most people are not able to see the others the way they see themselves. With the same exact standards or judgment criteria.

It is the mistake most psychologists make : they alienate themselves from their patient, meaning that they are severe with them, as for situations in which they usually are indulgent with themselves.
But they are not able to see it because of this alienation during the session.

Hence the so many truths Pirandello used to speak of.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

In light that truth can be objective and subjective, I would think there is no right or wrong answer to the question.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are you saying math will save us from cultural relativism and the way it shapes how people see and interpret truth? Standardize and replace relative perceptions with mathematics? Remove subjectivity from human experience?

I'm having visions of the Bynars, the next humans. :)

Bynars.jpg

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Facts are truth, aren't they? What makes facts facts is that they're true, right?
No. Not exactly. What we think about the facts, is what we call it's truth. And what we think about the facts, is a matter of perception. So there is a relationship between truth and facticity, which is held in the perceptual mind.

Where you find agreement on the truth of the thing, is when you find a shared or common perception. Perceptions are relative to the group of perceivers with their shared frames of reference.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
No. Not exactly. What we think about the facts, is what we call it's truth. And what we think about the facts, is a matter of perception. So there is a relationship between truth and facticity, which is held in the perceptual mind.

Where you find agreement on the truth of the thing, is when you find a shared or common perception. Perceptions are relative to the group of perceivers and shared frames of reference.

In your view, is there a reality that exists independent of our perceptions?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

There is one truth that is true for all, after that all truth is based on your experiences. If you accept new experiences your truth's will be more communal, if you deny or refute new experiences your truth's will be more individualized.

The problem with today's truth's are that many people are basing them on information only (Web, News, Literature) and not experiences.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In your view, is there a reality that exists independent of our perceptions?
Yes. But what we think about it, is relative to the group using a shared frame of reference, or rather filters through which we perceive and interpret that reality.

The "truth" of whatever that "it" is, does not exist indepently. The "fact" of it, the "in itself" cannot be known to us directly, but is only interpreted for us through our subjective, or collectively subjective filters, i.e., language and culture. And that we call "truth".

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Interesting. Can you say more about what you mean?
I encourage examining the negative side of a picture.

Something might not be true objectively, yet still remains true in someone's mind. That person wouldn't be wrong in such cases.