• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Trinity in the Bible?

Yasin

dawny0826 said:
Hi Yasin.

I really don't need any clarification. No, you will not find ONE single verse which states the WORD Trinity. I won't argue that. The Trinity is simply a word applied to the concept of God in three persons. If you aren't a Christian...I would imagine it's pretty difficult to understand how that concept applies within the Bible. My Bible, when I read it...tells me that man was so sinful and God loved us so much that he sent his Son...(or himself manifested as man) to live and to TEACH us HOW to live. Jesus Christ became the ULTIMATE sacrifice for US...and it was God's design that when we be believe in Christ...we are granted eternal life and are granted the HOLY Spirit of God who then resides within us...THREE separate manifestations...yet THREE manifestations of the SAME God.

I'm completely comfortable with the Trinity. It's not something I feel so much in my mind as I feel in my very CORE. Many will argue with this...but unless you truly open your heart and READ the BIBLE...I feel that you're going to search for a WORD that you'll never find...and you're going to miss the entire purpose that God has for your salvation. That's just my opinion. I'm not a "Trinitarian Theologian"...I'm a CHRISTIAN.

These are JUST a few verses from the bible where the Trinity concept as far as I'm concerned is implied...I'm sure MANY will disagree but as MANY have stated...I'm entitled to my own interpretations...These all come from the New King James Version.

"I and My Father are one." John 10:30

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that he might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. Speak these things, exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one despise you." Tit. 2:11-15

"But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life, And on some have compassion, making a distinction but others save with fear pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh." Jude Verses 20-23

"There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, these things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His spirit who dwells in you." Rom. 8:1-11

(Sorry...couldn't help but to get a little underline happy there...this is one of my favorite verses in the Bible.:D )

"Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them. When they saw Him, they worshiped Him: but some doubted. And Jesus came to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen." Matthew 28:16-20

"Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men. For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another. But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy, he saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us abundantly through our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. This is a faithful saying, and these things I want you to affirm constantly, that those who believed in God should be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men." Tit. 3:1-8

I didn't get a chance to respond to one of your posts in another thread. Glad I got a chance to say hello. :) Peace and Blessings,
By God that was a long read,
:woohoo: im glad too get a Hold of you,

I really appreciate your lengthy reply. True the word Trinity can not be found in the Bible, but what i cant understand is, were did it come from? I followed the verses and it seems clear on the face of it, (excluding the words that were not spoken by Jesus Christ (pbuh) because we would like to hear it from the Master himself) but when you consider the fact that Jesus (pbuh) did not speak Greek, so how are we to know for sure they are his words, in the sense that we know it?
I accept Jesus Christ (pbuh) as one of the greatest Prophets of God, because even in the Bible i cant see him claiming divinity, i dont see it!

Peace and Blessings of God be upon you,
Respectively, Yasin:bounce

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
may said:
this is how verse 7 should read
For there are three witness bearers .and this is how verse 8 should read
the spirit and the water and the blood, and the three are in agreement ...... the added words should be removed and most bibles have done this as they realize that the added words that were put there to try to prove the trinity are spurious words it should not add the following words

in heaven, the Father, the Word and the holy spirit; and these three are one ....these words are added words and should not be in the bible they were added to try to prove the trinity not a good thing to do lets get back to the correct words

Sorry may, but I'm with Yasin here;
5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Defender's notes:- This verse is the famous "Johannine Comma," as it has been called, and it obviously carries the clearest and most explicit statement of the doctrine of the Trinity to be found in the Bible.

sushannah

dawny0826 said:
I disagree...again you're looking at trinity not from a spiritual perspective but from a scholarly perspective....you're NEVER going to understand...

And from my study of the Bible...I interpret quite differently than you do...I believe that the disciples believed VERY much in the trinity concept...because they believed in JESUS CHRIST. They worshipped Christ. They loved Christ...In truth, I think they were the first true Christians...so, I'm pretty confident that they KNEW of the same trinity (FATHER, SON and HOLY GHOST) that I know of...on a very personal and SPIRITUAL level. They SAW Christ resurrected...THEY experienced him in life AND death...sorry, but I strongly feel that they understood incredibly well...

Too much is put into a WORD...and when you do so....you completely lose sight of what it truly MEANS...

This is a matter of SPIRIT not of MIND...
You must look at it from a scholarly and a spiritual perspective and also from an historical perspective. G-d gave us the scriptures to study and to think about from every perspective. You cannot just believe what you have been told about scripture, you must find out the truth for yourself. This would involve study and being knowledgable about history. The spiritual perspective comes in when you believe what G-d alone has shown you to be the truth. You can't just say, oh I believe the disciples were just like me, and not know this to be the truth. Everybody knows that the divinity of Jesus and the trinity was decided in 325A.D. by Church leaders, not in the first century when the disciples lived. Everybody should also know that other writings besides the NT testament exist that were rejected because they were viewed as not supporting the divinity claims among other things. Pauls writings were the predominent writings that were accepted because they are the writings that support the the trinity claim, if you misinterpret them enough!

greatcalgarian

jgallandt said:
The word 'America' does not appear in the Bible either. Does that mean it does not exist? :D
That is not fair. Bible is not an Encyclopedia. If the word 'America' did not appear in the Encyclopedia in print after America came into existence, then that may be prove that America does not exist.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jgallandt said:
Does the Bible not teach not to add or take away from it?
Actually, the Bible doesn't teach this at all, at least not in the way you are interpreting it. But that's a topic for another thread. ;)

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Katzpur said:
Actually, the Bible doesn't teach this at all, at least not in the way you are interpreting it. But that's a topic for another thread. ;)
No, in the way, you are interpreting. I interpret it the way it states... do not add or take away... it's simple.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
greatcalgarian said:
That is not fair. Bible is not an Encyclopedia. If the word 'America' did not appear in the Encyclopedia in print after America came into existence, then that may be prove that America does not exist.
This is correct. And for that same reason, just because the word 'trinity' does not appear, does not mean it doesn't exist.

nutshell

jgallandt said:
No, in the way, you are interpreting. I interpret it the way it states... do not add or take away... it's simple.
No, you are interpreting too. Everyone who reads anything then expresses the meaning of what they've read is giving an interpretation because the reading experience is unique to each individual.

Katzpur was no more adding or taking away than you.

nutshell

jgallandt said:
This is correct. And for that same reason, just because the word 'trinity' does not appear, does not mean it doesn't exist.
I find this all very ironic. Time and again my LDS beliefs are blasted because people don't apparently find support for those beliefs in the Bible and now here is someone saying something can exist even if it does not appear.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Awe, nutshell, it does appear, but the word does not. Neither does the word 'church', The word assembly was translated to the word church.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
nutshell said:
No, you are interpreting too. Everyone who reads anything then expresses the meaning of what they've read is giving an interpretation because the reading experience is unique to each individual.
I agree, but take offense that her's is right and mine is wrong. She can believe what she wishes. But please don't tell me what I belive is wrong. I have NEVER done that to you.:)

nutshell

jgallandt said:
Awe, nutshell, it does appear, but the word does not. Neither does the word 'church', The word assembly was translated to the word church.
Once again, we have different interpretations and who's to say which is more valid.

nutshell

jgallandt said:
I agree, but take offense that her's is right and mine is wrong. She can believe what she wishes. But please don't tell me what I belive is wrong. I have NEVER done that to you.:)
Point taken.

And based on your and Katzpur's avatars, I'd say you two are having a catfight.

:p

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Katzpur said:
That explains alot....:D

may

Yasin said:
You see,

The word of God should not be changed for any reasons, a book claiming to be from God should be untouched in all respects.

Respectively, Yasin:bounce
nice one, i agree

may

jgallandt said:
That, I agree with. I can't understand how people omit something, claiming it should not have been there, in essence calling the original writters wrong. Does the Bible not teach not to add or take away from it?
so lets get back to how God put it down then , then we cant go wrong

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I keep asking this, but no one seems to want to address it:

The Bible does state that the Father and the Son are "one." But even if we were to leave the Holy Ghost out of the equation all together, we'd still be faced with the question I'd like to see someone answer. In what way or in what respect are they "one"? The word "one" has many valid meanings, and I think that determining its meaning in the context of the scriptures might be a good idea. Or, if everybody would prefer, we can just continue going around in circles!