• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is torture ever acceptable?

Is torture ever acceptable?

• Yes

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Your scenario:
He punches me = He does to me what he wants me to do unto him
So why disappoint him = I Just give him what he wants me to give him
NOT my scenario

heaven responds to us......as we have done unto others
as many times as there are angels

Sammaiel

Everything is acceptable for someone.
Anyhow, torture has became a big deal only in recent times. All cultures praticed it, to some degree. Most pratice it nowadays. Man is a natural torturer.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
No it can never be justified

I can understand that some people torture others. But that is different from "it's being justified". "Just" relates to "Truth" to me.

It's same as I understand some people rape others. But that some people do it, does not justify it (even if all people would do it)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I can understand that some people torture others. But that is different from "it's being justified". "Just" relates to "Truth" to me.

It's same as I understand some people rape others. But that some people do it, does not justify it (even if all people would do it)

Harming others in any way shap or form is for me a wrong way of living. But i do not judge other for their behaviour

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Harming others in any way shap or form is for me a wrong way of living. But i do not judge other for their behaviour
In general I do not judge others for their behavior. But I know myself a little bit. If someone tortures me ... some fair amount of judgment will start.
I am not yet "Self Realized". Better get there before someone tortures me, because I really love the "Buddhist way of non violence".

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In general I do not judge others for their behavior. But I know myself a little bit. If someone tortures me ... some fair amount of judgment will start.
I am not yet "Self Realized". Better get there before someone tortures me, because I really love the "Buddhist way of non violence".

Many think "yes but if you do not defend you self you et killed" Yes that may be the result of torture, but i have compassion toward the person(s) who would do me wrong.

Milton Platt

No it can never be justified

Okay, let’s look at a hypothetical:
Suppose there is a nuclear device hidden in a city. You have captured one of the conspirators, He has admitted to being a part of the plot. He admits that he knows where the device is hidden and that it will detonate within a couple of hours. But be refuses to divulge the location. The city contains several million people and complete evacuation is not feasable. Do you torture the person in the hopes of obtaining the location, or just let the device explode and kill millions and make the city uninhabitable for decades if not centuries. Your family lives in the city, by the way.

I would argue torture is justified.

Further, I would argue that anytime a person is imprisoned for years for commiting a crime, that could be thought of a mild turture.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Suppose there is a nuclear device hidden in a city. You have captured one of the conspirators, He has admitted to being a part of the plot. He admits that he knows where the device is hidden and that it will detonate within a couple of hours. But be refuses to divulge the location. The city contains several million people and complete evacuation is not feasable. Do you torture the person in the hopes of obtaining the location, or just let the device explode and kill millions and make the city uninhabitable for decades if not centuries. Your family lives in the city, by the way.

Further, I would argue that anytime a person is imprisoned for years for commiting a crime, that could be thought of a mild turture.

Honestly no i would not torture him because it go against my belife of hurting any living being. But i would give him to military or police as one should do in a case like that.
I have no military background so i can not make jusdgment of how they would gain there info.

I have been in a military interrogations because i refused to go in to the military. and they could not get me to say i would torture or kill in any way shape or form. I just see it as wrong.

But what i would do is to ofcourse look for the device . I dont mind if my own life is lost if i can save others, but i refuse to kill or harm others.

Milton Platt

Honestly no i would not torture him because it go against my belife of hurting any living being. But i would give him to military or police as one should do in a case like that.
I have no military background so i can not make jusdgment of how they would gain there info.

I have been in a military interrogations because i refused to go in to the military. and they could not get me to say i would torture or kill in any way shape or form. I just see it as wrong.

But what i would do is to ofcourse look for the device . I dont mind if my own life is lost if i can save others, but i refuse to kill or harm others.

You are dodging the question. Is it better to torture the person in the hope of saving the lives of millions of people? The fact that you would hand him off to someone else and stick yuor head in the sand is irrelevant to the question. Of course, there would be a blind search. Why would you assume the device would be found in time? If the device detonated while you were searching, was allowing millions of people to die justified in your mind?
I am not asking if it is moral. I’m asking if it would be justified, which is the word you used.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You are dodging the question. Is it better to torture the person in the hope of saving the lives if millions of people? The fact thst you would hand him off to someone else and stick yuor head in the sand is irrelevant to the question.
I am not asking if it is moral. I’m asking if it would be justified, which is the word you used.

I am not dodging the question, what i say i would follow the law and hand him to police or military. It is him who would kill the people because he put the bomb there. It is never justified to do torture in any way or form.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

This is a dumb scenario since he will in all likelihood just lie and send you on a wild goose chase to waste time. We know that torture doesn't work.

We've Known for 400 Years That Torture Doesn't Work

Milton Platt

I am not dodging the question, what i say i would follow the law and hand him to police or military. It is him who would kill the people because he put the bomb there. It is never justified to do torture in any way or form.

But you could be said to have culpability because you did not try everything you could to obtain the location.

As to handing him to authorities, what guarrantee do you have that they would not torture him?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
But you could be said to have culpability because you did not try everything you could to obtain the location.

As to handing him to authorities, what guarrantee do you have that they would not torture him?

Why would you say i could be a culpability? I follow the law and hand him over, that is what i can do, i am no super hero who think i can save the world by beating the **** out of an other person. Police and milirary has their law and rules to follow and in Europe they are not allowed to torture a person.

Milton Platt

Why would you say i could be a culpability? I follow the law and hand him over, that is what i can do, i am no super hero who think i can save the world by beating the **** out of an other person. Police and milirary has their law and rules to follow and in Europe they are not allowed to torture a person.

Let’s just stick with the original hypothetical and leave you out of it entirely.
Does the right of a single human not to be to be tortured outweigh the rights of millions not to be murdered?