• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is time a consequence of sin?

Teritos

I heard from another Christian that time is a consequence of sin in the Garden of Eden. From the Fall of Adam, everything started to age. Adam was 930 years old when he died, so his first sin was when he was 0 years old. Is this thought wrong? It is very interesting to me.

God said that if Adam sins, he would die on the same day. If he was 0 years old when he sinned, and time started when he sinned and died when he was 930 years old, then he died in the year 930, so he really died on the same day, because for God, according to the Bible, 1000 years are like one day.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Is it just me or does the statement "time is a consequence of sin" make as much sense as "the number 4 smells like the color green, but tastes like a pentagram"?

I mean yellow tastes like sunshine and smells like Spring (and slightly metallic).

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
God said that if Adam sins, he would die on the same day.
I know that God told Adam that he would die, but......please point me to any verses preceding that verse where God said the REASON that Adam would die is because he sinned.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I heard from another Christian that time is a consequence of sin in the Garden of Eden. From the Fall of Adam, everything started to age. Adam was 930 years old when he died, so his first sin was when he was 0 years old. Is this thought wrong? It is very interesting to me.
I'm not sure how this idea could possibly be coherent.

God said that if Adam sins, he would die on the same day. If he was 0 years old when he sinned, and time started when he sinned and died when he was 930 years old, then he died in the year 930, so he really died on the same day, because for God, according to the Bible, 1000 years are like one day.
That seems like a lot of mental gymnastics to avoid the more obvious conclusion: that what God threatened didn't actually happen.

danieldemol

Premium Member

The Bible shows a chronology of events happening sequentially in the garden of Eden.

In order for one event to precede another time is required.

So for example for Eve to be formed before Eve ate the apple implies time.

Summary: even according to the bible time existed before sin.
In my opinion.

Fallen Prophet

I would claim that it is more accurate to say that time is a consequence of mortality and mortality is a consequence of sin.

I understand that under the transitive property - that this is pretty much the same thing - but that's how I see it.

And I don't believe that a 1,000 years is a literal day for God - but rather that the word "day" as recorded in the English version of Genesis - actually meant "period of time with a discernible beginning and end".

So - when God said that Adam would die the day he partook of the fruit - I believe that He meant that there would then be a beginning and an ending to Adam's period on Earth.

The whole 1,000 years thing - which I think came from Peter - I believe was some hyperbole trying to describe the irrelevance of time to God.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Sounds about right in general.
I don't even understand how people get this notions, let alone give them any credence.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
How do we know that animals don't have a sense of time?
Not too long ago, we thought that they didn't have culture,
or use tools. Those beliefs went up in smoke.
Would not going back to a spot they buried or hid something and retrieving it indicate they have some kind of sense of time?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
How do we know that animals don't have a sense of time?
Not too long ago, we thought that they didn't have culture,
or use tools. Those beliefs went up in smoke.

Ive never seen one wear a wrist watch

I know cats for example know precisely when its 1pm, feeding time, they get fidgety for 10 or 15 minutes before then about 2 minutes to one they start milling about, pushing me toward the cupboard that contains the food... You've heard of herding cats... Think the reverse.

So i am sure at least some animals have a sense of time passing but their arrow of time doesn't have a second hand.