• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this wrong?

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Out of the subject of veg/non veg, one should be weary of any organisation that asks for money only, even if they prétend having the best intentions.

I've seen more than once firsthand that some just cash the flow of money from regular donations and just keep abusing abused animals... So it's kinda fruitless.
So far there is only one place I fully trust here in France for animals, because I have seen there live and got to know the people behind this, how they deeply care and get involved.

To others I'm not sure, I give food, litter, stuff they need and that I know will be more useful to the rescues than money.

Don't torture yourself, you are a Vaishnav in your soul, you know service to others is service to God

Aum Namah Shivaya

ajay0

The Bhoota Yajna in the Panchamahayajna ( allotted duties for householders) also consider it as a duty to be kind and provide food for animals or birds.

In this regard, abstaining from animal or bird flesh for a day can be considered an austerity in itself, instead of feeding an animal or bird.

panchamahayajna - वेद Veda

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The Bhoota Yajna in the Panchamahayajna ( allotted duties for householders) also consider it as a duty to be kind and provide food for animals or birds.

In this regard, abstaining from animal or bird flesh for a day can be considered an austerity in itself, instead of feeding an animal or bird.

panchamahayajna - वेद Veda

I do both... I do occasionally have completely veg. days. I have to say that planning and putting my mind to it will make this easier. I always use the excuse that when I’m with my family... maybe once or twice a year! If push comes to shove if I have to break w/ veg for a day, tad astu (“so be it”). I occasionally feed the animals and birds. I’d like to do it more often.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
"Tatah + astu", i.e., "Tathāstu" (Be it that). :D

तथास्तु

Thanks, I like your spelling better. I think I picked it up from hearing it in one of the movies I was watching. :D I've taken to saying it.

There are several good guides for fully transitioning into vegetarianism. Here is one that I like:

https://mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

Some people can transition quickly, others might take awhile longer, The body needs time to adjust, and giving up meat is like giving up an addiction. Symptoms while detoxifying can be uncomfortable. It is normal to get cravings at the beginning, and after that they may still return occasionally.

I've watched many videos showing how animals are presently raised, transported and slaughtered. Their suffering is horrific. Chickens are the most abused of all farm animals. There are many good documentary films available on YouTube. The most complete is the film "Earthlings" which is narrated by actor Joaquim Phoenix. There are also two versions in French, entitled "Terriens".

If you have the courage to watch this film through to the end, forget the popcorn and keep a big box of kleenex ready, because you will probably cry many tears . . .

I'm not a religious person, but I believe that my following the vegetarian and vegan path has brought me closer to God and to Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi who was so very close to the animals.

Anyway, I encourage you to continue towards a fuller vegetarian diet, and bon appetit !! :D