• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this wrong?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Animals are one of my soft spots. I cannot watch ASPCA commercials without crying. But Mr. Hypocrite does still eat chicken and fish, and only occasionally pork. If I could I would do animal rescue. The best I can do is donate some $$ every month and some food to the local shelter. And even that is not as much as I wish I could do.

That said, and despite my hypocrisy, is it wrong to pray to Lord Shiva as Paśupati, Lord of animals, to harshly punish these so many animal abusers? As the ASPCA voice over says, these poor animals have done nothing to deserve such horrible neglect, abuse, being starved, frozen, left out to die. Or am I letting my emotions and the social justice warrior in me (I fancy myself Kshatriya varna from a past life :rolleyes:) run amok?

I put this in the Hinduism DIR, not because I don't value the opinions of other members, but we know the gods don't generally exact revenge on wrong-doers. Am I wrong for wanting Him to smite these s.o.b.'s? What say you?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think any action done with the intent of bringing harm to another goes against the virtue of ahimsa.

If I witness someone harming and animal, I’ll stop it, but I prefer to leave any harm due to them for prior action to karma.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think any action done with the intent of bringing harm to another goes against the virtue of ahimsa.

When I've prayed I always said "... if You see fit... " or "... as You will..." or something like that. Asking but leaving off with

Untitled.jpg

"... but what do I know?"

If I witness someone harming and animal, I’ll stop it, but I prefer to leave any harm due to them for prior action to karma.

That's true. I do consider karma as the final arbiter but sometimes ya just want it turbo-charged.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Animals are one of my soft spots. I cannot watch ASPCA commercials without crying. But Mr. Hypocrite does still eat chicken and fish, and only occasionally pork. If I could I would do animal rescue. The best I can do is donate some $$ every month and some food to the local shelter. And even that is not as much as I wish I could do.

That said, and despite my hypocrisy, is it wrong to pray to Lord Shiva as Paśupati, Lord of animals, to harshly punish these so many animal abusers? As the ASPCA voice over says, these poor animals have done nothing to deserve such horrible neglect, abuse, being starved, frozen, left out to die. Or am I letting my emotions and the social justice warrior in me (I fancy myself Kshatriya varna from a past life :rolleyes:) run amok?

I put this in the Hinduism DIR, not because I don't value the opinions of other members, but we know the gods don't generally exact revenge on wrong-doers. Am I wrong for wanting Him to smite these s.o.b.'s? What say you?

As you know, I'm a vegetarian of 45 years, and this is one of the reasons. So for me personally, it's an absolute no-brainer. The only exceptions I would have are: absolutely a need for meat, in a diagnosed medical condition, with blood-work and all that, and secondly, giving a senior a break, if they're trying to change.

Having said that, it applies to me and me alone, not you. I occasionally browse and contribute to reddit/vegetarianism. There is lots of support over there, and this new trendy veganism/vegetarianism thing is chock full of fake meat. So maybe fake chicken, fake fish, fake anything is the way to go. Not my cup of tea, because I love my rice and curry, and healthy hippy organic salads, but that IS the trend. Maybe go over there and watch for awhile.

Best wishes in coming to a conclusion to this ongoing challenge.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
... Best wishes in coming to a conclusion to this ongoing challenge.

Thanks. Yeah, it cause me a crisis of conscience... how can I want God to punish animal abusers and I still eat them. I assuage my guilty conscience by saying that food animals are raised specifically for that. Of course that’s bull****... no pun intended. I do have completely and almost completely vegetarian days, more than I did. I’m learning to think outside the box as far as recipes. I should have realized there’s a vegetarian reddit. I’ll check it out.

I’ve tried the Morningstar Grillers. They’re not bad. Not because I miss burgers, because I don’t. I never really ate them. For me the faux burgers and faux chicken breasts are a convenience.. a good roll, lettuce, tomato, pickles, faux burger. Actually a balanced handheld meal. I have to try making faux chicken parm.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thanks. Yeah, it cause me a crisis of conscience ..
THAT is something that should not be there. Of course, a veg. diet is the best. But someone from a non-veg. tradition cannot be blamed. Books said 'Jeevo jeevasy bhojanam'. Even vegetation has life (Dharma Vyadha - Vyadha Geeta, Sri MadBhagawatham). That you are trying to have a veg. diet is creditable enough. No one is perfect. Gods appreciate it. Don't torture yourself.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
It's a difficult one. I hate to see animals being abused and killed, but wishing harm to the abusers doesn't feel very skillful. And if people are that ignorant and uncaring, I'm not sure how you'd get through to them.
Maybe support organisations that protect and care for animals?

Here in England for example, people get very upset about fox-hunting with hounds, which continues, despite being made illegal some years ago.

I think it's worth looking at dietary choices, if it means reducing harm to other creatures.
I have friends who describe themselves as "animal lovers", but they seem very selective about it when buying meat at the supermarket!

Last edited:

ManSinha

@Jainarayan

It is interesting that Guru Gobind Singh asked his followers not to eat halal meat but was apparently ok with "Jhatka" where the animal is killed with one swift stroke - listen - and this is just one viewpoint - we humans are animals at our core - some may opine more evolved but still - and the natural order is that the wolf or the lion or the tiger must kill and eat other animals - that is the law of nature

You and I are blessed in a way to have a choice - I would not ask the lord to punish anyone - it does not work that way IMO and only damages one's own karma - instead do the best you can - having good thoughts and contributing $$ is a good start. And as Lord Krishna said to Arjuna - let the Universe take care of itself :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I would not ask the lord to punish anyone - it does not work that way IMO and only damages one's own karma - instead do the best you can - having good thoughts and contributing $$ is a good start. And as Lord Krishna said to Arjuna - let the Universe take care of itself :)

You’re right... I just get so angry and indignant.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
THAT is something that should not be there. Of course, a veg. diet is the best. But someone from a non-veg. tradition cannot be blamed. Books said 'Jeevo jeevasy bhojanam'. Even vegetation has life (Dharma Vyadha - Vyadha Geeta, Sri MadBhagawatham). That you are trying to have a veg. diet is creditable enough. No one is perfect. Gods appreciate it. Don't torture yourself.

I think you know me by now to be an all-or-nothing kind of guy. That is to say, I think vegetarian is the right way, and if I can't do it properly or completely it drives me crazy. But I’m learning to go easy on myself. It won’t help by mentally beating myself up.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe support organisations that protect and care for animals?

Oh I do... I wish I could do more. If and when I ever retire, and have the physical ability (back problems) I would look into helping in animal rescue. I've had home invasions of raccoons and squirrels, and mice to boot. I trapped the first raccoon invaders and released them a good distance, into woods. That's actually illegal if you're not licensed. Oops! :D The next few times I called a professional wildlife removal contractor. I made it clear I didn't want them harmed. He said they wouldn't be, that's actually illegal. He runs a trap-release business. He releases them in rural and desolate wooded areas. For the mice I put wet litter from the cat's litter box outside the house where the mice could have been getting in, then sealed up the holes when the mice left. No more mice. Snake scat works too. Like I'm going to go into Petco and say "May I have 4 lbs of snake **** please?" o_O

ajay0

Vegetarianism has been shown to be associated with lower risks of cancer, heart diseases and others. After a certain age of say 25-30,I would say it is better to stick with a vegetarian diet for healthpurposes.

Reduced cancer risk in vegetarians: an analysis of recent reports

https://www.mdanderson.org/publications/focused-on-
health/vegetarian-diet-and-cancer-risk.h31Z1591413.html

Vegetarianism has also been associated with reduced emission of global warming gases through the livestock industry.

Plant-based diet can fight climate change - UN

Environmental vegetarianism - Wikipedia

Even if people cannot be totally vegetarian, they can at least
abstain from a nonvegetarian diet of the flesh of more conscious and sentient animals like horses, cows,dolphins, dogs and cats.These creatures show humane charecterestics like intelligence, empathy,affection, loyalty, cheerfulness and a funloving nature. By abstaining from killing and eating them, people can show that they highly value the positive qualities associated with such animals,and help foster such values in human society too.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
@Jaynarayan ... Is there a gurdwara anywhere near you? Great food, great people.

Not that I know of, but I'll check Google. I mean, we have a lot of Sikhs in the area. There is at least one ISKCON temple within a 30-40 mile radius. I thought there were two, I'll have to check. I could also get take-out from the temple cantina.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Even if people cannot be totally vegetarian, they can at least
abstain from a nonvegetarian diet of the flesh of more conscious and sentient animals

For all the times I've tried this I eliminated anything with mammary glands. I always said "fur, hair, nipples", but platypuses (platypi? platypae?) don't have nipples, they just secrete milk. I still by and large don't eat mammals, only pork occasionally (ribs, Italian sausage), which I can easily give up. So from the animal kingdom it's really only things that swim or have feathers. Of course they have a right to live too.

ManSinha

I mean, we have a lot of Sikhs in the area

I would just ask (if you feel comfortable) one of them where there is Kirtan or a Samagam - it is usually weekly - and maybe at someone's home via rotation - or in a small building - you may be able to search here as well

Bare feet and covered head is all the ritual they ask for :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Bare feet and covered head is all the ritual they ask for

I didn't know about the covered head. What kind of head covering for men? I don't think a ball cap is appropriate, and I definitely can't wrap a turban.

ManSinha

I didn't know about the covered head. What kind of head covering for men? I don't think a ball cap is appropriate, and I definitely can't wrap a turban.

Any of the ones below will do - they are not that particular - and if there is a temple there is usually a container with clean washed ones at the entrance

upload_2020-3-6_11-9-11.jpeg

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That's easy. I used to wear them in the gym. :)