• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this what dating has come down to?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And 9 times out of 10, men will see this woman as a looser and reject her.

I've not played the dating game, but brother in law does, and from what he tells me much of what you write is factual. But it works both ways

My best friend has recently taken up online dating since her husband died a few years ago. And is disillusioned with the men advertising. It seems to here that there are very few honest men out there.
I was wrong.
I do know someone who dates.
My helper, who is in his 70s, bald, retired, & living on Social
Security, is currently dating a gal about his age & religion
(both fundie Christian types).
But several years ago, he had higher standards.
(He's since loosened up on some of them.)
What he wanted in a spouse....
- In her 30s.
- Tall, thin, & attractive.
- Pleasant, intelligent, & normal (unlike most women).
- Fundie Christian.
- Cannot be divorced (Biblical prohibition).
- Working & well off.
- Fecund, so he can sire some offspring.
- Able to support him while he builds ultralight planes,
& starts his electric car company.

These criteria that he specifically expressed to me.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Dating is a ****show regardless of sexual orientation. I'm bisexual but I highly doubt I will ever find a companion. It's hard enough just to make friends in this world, let alone anything more. People play too many games and aren't upfront about things. Women, especially, expect you to read their minds. Not to mention that society is basically falling apart and everyone seems messed up these days. So I don't even bother, even with people I find attractive. Usually the people I try to hit on or ask out reject me, anyway. So I keep it to myself. At least I can have my fantasies and just admire from afar, then. You're born alone and you die alone, and I might as well just accept that.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Single dad vs. single mom. I bet a single dad on a dating site would get way more replies than a single mom. It seems like everyone respects single dads way more than they respect single moms.

Actually, single moms are winning. The reason? The high possibility of sex, the desperation of men seeking sex, and a plethora of men who only want sex. Some men think "single mom? No baby daddy in the picture? Free sex. Some women are unfortunately lonely. Thus repeating the cycle of no good men because we know the outcome when some men have ulterior motives.

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Actually, single moms are winning. The reason? The high possibility of sex and desperation. Some men think "single mom? No baby daddy in the picture? Free sex. Some women are unfortunately lonely. Thus repeating the cycle of no good men because we know the outcome when some men have ulterior motives.

What's your definition of 'good man'?

And this may sting like pulling off a band-aid, but I feel there are reasons why pictures like these exist (no, I didn't make them):

48530d3bedebcae0be4b9e1f5752d878.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

Good-Man-Quotes-about-happiness.jpg

inspirational-quotes-for-men-main.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Dating is a ****show regardless of sexual orientation. I'm bisexual but I highly doubt I will ever find a companion. It's hard enough just to make friends in this world, let alone anything more. People play too many games and aren't upfront about things. Women, especially, expect you to read their minds. Not to mention that society is basically falling apart and everyone seems messed up these days. So I don't even bother, even with people I find attractive. Usually the people I try to hit on or ask out reject me, anyway. So I keep it to myself. At least I can have my fantasies and just admire from afar, then. You're born alone and you die alone, and I might as well just accept that.
The secret to picking up women starts at 2:15....

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

And this may sting like pulling off a band-aid, but I feel there are reasons why pictures like these exist (no, I didn't make them):

View attachment 52594

View attachment 52592

View attachment 52593

View attachment 52591

How does that sting? More women are complaining and divorcing than ever. Most women that I'm aware of don't hold themselves accountablele for poor choices in men. As far as my definition of a "good man," I can't speak for all men because goodness is not linear.

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
He should put that video in his profile.
That way women see what an *** he is BEFORE meeting up with him.

He doesn't need to, his face is in the media so he self-sabotaged himself. I think his pettiness was the result of her leaving at the movies.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
He doesn't need to his face is in the media he self-sabotaged himself. I think his pettiness was the result of her leaving at the movies.

Well, she was texting during the date, and I know that's a pet peeve with a lot of guys. I knew a guy who was complaining about a date with a woman, where she was constantly texting and talking on her phone all through the date. The funny part was that, a few days later, her friend said that she had such a great time and was wondering why he didn't call for a second date. How oblivious can one get?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Well, she was texting during the date, and I know that's a pet peeve with a lot of guys. I knew a guy who was complaining about a date with a woman, where she was constantly texting and talking on her phone all through the date. The funny part was that, a few days later, her friend said that she had such a great time and was wondering why he didn't call for a second date. How oblivious can one get?

Well, going back to the first guy I have to question why he took her to see Guardians of the Galaxy which is roughly a 3-hour movie on a date (I assume it is their first). But yes using the phone during a date is a pet peeve of mine as well. I've been on one, maybe two dates that have happened and I didn't make a big deal about it because on one date, my date said she was checking with her best friend to let her know she was good, and on another one, she took her phone out to put a "Do Not Disturb" message on her phone. In both cases, they turned their phone off.

Shakeel

Apparently, you're not familiar with some of the women here. "I want mn to take care of me" is essentially the gist of the conversation in her bio well obvious cause you don't know her. My point is which I think you're quite sensitive about is she wants someone who has a lot of money to take care of her. As someone who has had to move out since 18 I had to learn as an adult how to be responsible. Even before that it is amazing.
There are men who are willing to marry a woman with children and to support them. Of course there has to be attraction as well, but that can only be tried in practice. If they hit it off - what's the problem? I'm sure she doesn't want someone unwilling, like you.

Shakeel

Single dad vs. single mom. I bet a single dad on a dating site would get way more replies than a single mom. It seems like everyone respects single dads way more than they respect single moms.
I bet it's because the dads are only part time dads, often taking the kids for the weekend. With the mother it's a full time job.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
There are men who are willing to marry a woman with children and to support them. Of course there has to be attraction as well, but that can only be tried in practice. If they hit it off - what's the problem? I'm sure she doesn't want someone unwilling, like you.

Been there, done that. Single mothers in my section are picky especially in their early to mid 40's. Many (not all) don't compromise and are unwilling to. My chances are better with females in their mid to late 20's

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I hope you've written that down. However, many people might feel similar distaste to that as you feel to the woman's wishes.

No need to write it down I've let women known from the jump it's a dealbreaker for me. On another note, I'm surprised a Muslim is taking an interest in the subject of dating considering it is a prohibition in Islam. In addition to that, thank you for your critique of my beliefs. I'll remember that next time when several RF members start attacking Islam again seeing how I'm one of the many few non-Muslims who are supposed to be your ally.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 52594

View attachment 52592

View attachment 52593

View attachment 52591

I suppose "good man" might be a phrase similar to that of "good citizen." I think the whole "nice guy"/"good man" trope came about due to society in general focusing a great deal on all the faults of men, as well as a good deal of attention on all of the horrible men out there. When I was a kid, being a male chauvinist was considered a bad thing, so boys were encouraged to be just the opposite.

I've also heard plenty of horror stories about bad men who are violent, abusive, cheating, gaslighting, oppressive, sexual predators/harassers - and it makes me think that there's a whole class of men out there that I know nothing of.

When women talk about men, it's often in monolithic terms, as if they think all men are alike. So, my impression is that when men say they're "nice guys," they're doing so in the context of a constant barrage of stories about all these other men who are simply horrible and despicable. I don't agree with the above meme that says they're just "wolves in sheep's clothing," as that's an oversimplification at best.

Shakeel

No need to write it down I've let women known from the jump it's a dealbreaker for me. On another note, I'm surprised a Muslim is taking an interest in the subject of dating considering it is a prohibition in Islam. In addition to that, thank you for your critique of my beliefs. I'll remember that next time when several RF members start attacking Islam again seeing how I'm one of the many few non-Muslims who are supposed to be your ally.
Muslims don't have non-Muslims as allies. Islam doesn't need you. You need it.

My interest is not so much in dating, but in your surprisingly picky attitude.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, going back to the first guy I have to question why he took her to see Guardians of the Galaxy which is roughly a 3-hour movie on a date (I assume it is their first). But yes using the phone during a date is a pet peeve of mine as well. I've been on one, maybe two dates that have happened and I didn't make a big deal about it because on one date, my date said she was checking with her best friend to let her know she was good, and on another one, she took her phone out to put a "Do Not Disturb" message on her phone. In both cases, they turned their phone off.

I'm not familiar with Guardian of the Galaxy, although it doesn't strike me as what might be considered a "date movie," which is usually some rom-com or something like that. So, maybe he made a poor choice in movies. And a 3-hour movie is a bit long for a first date.

I have had jobs where I would be on call 24/7, so I'd have to take my work phone with me wherever I went. However, if I'm with someone, I'll give them a heads up and let them know beforehand - just so they know that it's nothing personal if they see me answering the phone.