• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this virus an opportunity to unite the human species?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings to all those curious enough to click here.

Here's some food for thought.

I was just browsing for sites about handling the virus and how it has affected so many of us.

This one turned up and I was attracted by the title -

We May Be Separated, But The Coronavirus Is Connecting Us More Than Ever

4 Reasons Why Unity Is Part Of Our Evolution

If you are as curious as I was ...

Click below - it has some interesting videos as well.

We May Be Separated, But The Coronavirus Is Connecting Us More Than Ever

Wishing you all the best!

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I looked at the article but didn't watch the videos.

"You’re practicing social distancing and imposing self isolation upon yourself, not just to protect yourself, but others. Working from home, working out from home, and working on culinary masterpieces too. While you may be experiencing this strange time in a silo (and feel somewhat alone), we are truly all experiencing this together."

It would be nice if this pandemic led to greater human unity as disasters often do, but that's no what I've been seeing. Of course, most of what I see is the American response, which has been to separate Americans more.

Even where I live in Mexico, there is division in my wife's garden club, a collection of American and Canadian expats that normally meet monthly and tour somebody's home home garden. The division is over whether to require proof of vaccination to attend meetings and go on tours. The board has seven people, one unvaccinated (a Republican voter from Arkansas), who happens to be the president. She objects to the requirement, but all of the other members of the board want proof of vaccination even for board meetings (the first one since the lockdown is scheduled). The holdout is pig-headed and take-charge (maybe why she's president). We'll see how this ends up, but I don't see unity anywhere in the future, as the board and the general membership lose their unvaccinated members.

There are similar issues in our local bridge club. It's reopening soon as well, and presently, proof of vaccination will be required to play. I don't know what fraction of its 200 or so members won't be vaccinated, but they're not welcome there. This isn't unifying at all.

It's nice to envision some unifying pressure resulting from this, but shouldn't we be seeing it already if that were coming? 9/11 was unifying for a while. The effect was immediate and then waned over time. This pandemic has been divisive from the start, but that may be a limited Western perspective. Maybe India's much televised problems brought its people together.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I looked at the article but didn't watch the videos.

"You’re practicing social distancing and imposing self isolation upon yourself, not just to protect yourself, but others. Working from home, working out from home, and working on culinary masterpieces too. While you may be experiencing this strange time in a silo (and feel somewhat alone), we are truly all experiencing this together."

It would be nice if this pandemic led to greater human unity as disasters often do, but that's no what I've been seeing. Of course, most of what I see is the American response, which has been to separate Americans more.

Even where I live in Mexico, there is division in my wife's garden club, a collection of American and Canadian expats that normally meet monthly and tour somebody's home home garden. The division is over whether to require proof of vaccination to attend meetings and go on tours. The board has seven people, one unvaccinated (a Republican voter from Arkansas), who happens to be the president. She objects to the requirement, but all of the other members of the board want proof of vaccination even for board meetings (the first one since the lockdown is scheduled). The holdout is pig-headed and take-charge (maybe why she's president). We'll see how this ends up, but I don't see unity anywhere in the future, as the board and the general membership lose their unvaccinated members.

There are similar issues in our local bridge club. It's reopening soon as well, and presently, proof of vaccination will be required to play. I don't know what fraction of its 200 or so members won't be vaccinated, but they're not welcome there. This isn't unifying at all.

It's nice to envision some unifying pressure resulting from this, but shouldn't we be seeing it already if that were coming? 9/11 was unifying for a while. The effect was immediate and then waned over time. This pandemic has been divisive from the start, but that may be a limited Western perspective. Maybe India's much televised problems brought its people together.
That's what I see. Something that was tragically too politicized to be uniting and instead became a very divisive wedge.