• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this theft?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So, let's say Mr. And Mrs. @Revoltingest eat a meal at taco bell every day of the year, and each time they do, they grab a handful of the small ketchup bags for free, so they never have to pay for ketchup at the store for their home, and they consume an extremely large quantity for their daily hot dogs and fries and such.

The cost on a daily basis adds up no doubt , for taco bell to enable their ketchup and hot sauce depravity affliction/addiction!

At what point does that make Mr. And Mrs. @Revoltingest guilty of theft, if ever?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That level of "theft" is so de minmis as to not be
worthy of being called theft, especially compared
to the vast sums spent on food there.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
So, let's say Mr. And Mrs. @Revoltingest eat a meal at taco bell every day of the year, and each time they do, they grab a handful of the small ketchup bags for free, so they never have to pay for ketchup at the store for their home, and they consume an extremely large quantity for their daily hot dogs and fries and such.

The cost on a daily basis adds up no doubt , for taco bell to enable their ketchup and hot sauce depravity affliction/addiction!

At what point does that make Mr. And Mrs. @Revoltingest guilty of theft, if ever?
If they are filling up garbage bags full of ketchup packets then maybe. If they are just taking a handful each then the restaurant is still making a profit on their visits.

But only a barbarian like @Revoltingest would put ketchup on a taco. That is the real sin.

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It's only theft when it's illegal, isn't it?
I'm sure the store would frown upon it, if the sauce was being taken home, and not used while at the restaurant for the meal being purchased. Especially if it was a large quantity?

But I suppose that wouldn't be theft then, if it's not for a price...

PureX

Veteran Member
That sort of theft isn't about the money. It's about the attitude. And yes, it is theft. And the harm it does is to the thief, not the 'victim'.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

Since taking say just 1 extra packet would be pretty common, then where to draw the line depends on the situation: how many packets are available, and will it cause someone else to be deprived of a packet they really want/need. So, as usual, the Golden Rule (GR) actually can pinpoint where the line between ok and wrongful is, more effectively than we'd imagine ahead of time. Applying it, I ask, "If I was a someone else in the restaurant, would I feel harmed that the person in front of me took extra (or almost all, or all of the) packets?" Of course, that depends on how many packets there are, and how many likely customers, so there you get the answer that works well enough in real life. I'd by using the distinction from the GR then know to refrain from taking even 2 packets instead of 1, if only 2 were left, see. E.g. -- even if there are 4 packets left, I'd then still be constrained to get only 1, and/or ask a worker to put more packets out.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

My view is that one should take what one needs for food at the restaurant, not for food elsewhere. It is commendable to be scrupulous in one's cultivation of virtue. The virtue in this case is asteya: not stealing.

On a less serious note, if I were the owner of a franchise, I would send Predators (uppercase p) after everybody who takes superfluous ketchup/sauce packets. That'll teach Carl Weathers. :tongueout:

Nimos

I wouldn't call it theft, as they keep coming back to buy meals, so even if they take a few small ketchup bags, I think taco bell would be happy :D

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

It's fine, but only if you ask the owner if it's fine to take a few bags daily, so that you save money to buy it yourself when needed ketchup at home;)

Now I have said that, I need to make a minor change in my life:)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
That level of "theft" is so de minmis as to not be
worthy of being called theft, especially compared
to the vast sums spent on food there.
True

Still "theft", unless you asked the owner if it's fine to take a few bags home with you to save money

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I'm gonna vote not theft.

As I do this all the time. I have BBQ sauce, soy, ketchup, hot sauce, sugar. All packets of course.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Not theft; the restaurant can change its policy if it wants to.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Easiest way to know the answer for yourself:

Imagine that you own a business yourself, would you mind if all your customers did this?

That's the (Christian) "don't do unto others..." idea

No I wouldn't. The customers are already paying for it via food costs by shopping their. It's calculated already.

If I or a customer sits down and grabs a handful of ketchup packets we'll say 5. But only ends up using 2 of them. Putting those other 3 back in the pile of packets is a hygiene risk. Safer to take them home.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
True

Still "theft", unless you asked the owner if it's fine to take a few bags home with you to save money

Were I the owner, I wouldn't want
to be bothered with the question.