• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this the very first time life has ever existed?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Eternal inflation says that all possible existences will exist in a multiverse, which may mean there are other universes that have other earths.

Yet i believe we are even rarer then that and this could be the very first time life has ever existed.

Eternal inflation itself must have had a beginning, and yet it expands without ever stopping.

Does life have a future? How about an eternal future?

And what is the basis of peace and civilization, and will we ever see peace?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Even if this is the only universe that has ever existed, there is a new theory that life must be fairly common in our universe because, wherever the physical conditions are right for it, the processes leading to it are all more or less "downhill". That is, about as inevitable as you can get without being totally inevitable. I forget who came up with the notion, though. Some young British guy is all I recall at the moment.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
By the way, a long time member of this forum who still shows up now and then, @Mr Spinkles, took his doctorate in the physics of biology by doing some original research into how molecules naturally organize themselves in ways that can lead to living things.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Eternal inflation says that all possible existences will exist in a multiverse, which may mean there are other universes that have other earths.

Yet i believe we are even rarer then that and this could be the very first time life has ever existed.

Eternal inflation itself must have had a beginning, and yet it expands without ever stopping.

Does life have a future? How about an eternal future?

And what is the basis of peace and civilization, and will we ever see peace?
Well given we are elemental, it would probably be more accurate to say the potential for life far preceded our own appearance. It certainly alludes that elsewhere, provided conditions are optimal, it could be very likely life erupted prior to life here on Earth. Given the singularity in the Big Bang and the estimated age of the universe, I would think early systems had harbored life and became extinct many times over the course of billions of years.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
What about today on earth, is life trying to get off the ground everywhere even now?

So we came about 4 million years ago at the right time of the inevitability.

What about Level 1 civilizations how rare is that?

paramecium

It all depends on what life actually is. If abiogenesis actually did occur then I would say the generation of living Matter, from non-living inorganic Matter only happened once or else we would have observed it happening in nature and be able to replicate the formation of a living cell without recourse to using preexisting cells. The Miller-Urey experiment was able to synthesize simple amino acids but there is still a gulf between this and a fully functional living cell.

For me, the universe has always existed and the vital principle which underpins every living organism is an intrinsic property of the universe. In vitalistic theories this property has been described as aether, pnuema and the Odic force. It has been speculated it may even be electromagnetic in nature but I prefer the view that we haven't isolated this current yet.