• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is this the belief of the earliest christians about hell?

davidthegreek

On wikipedia and here is the link, somewhere near the end of the page, I read this bit.
Is it true, especially the last bit, I mean.

The Orthodox believe that after the Final Judgment:

• All souls will be reunited with their resurrected bodies.
  • All souls will fully experience their spiritual state.
  • Having been perfected, the human race will forever progress towards a deeper and fuller love of God, which equates with eternal happiness. (Does that include all people?) Where is the hell part, which supposedly will happen to the wicked? How come it is not mentioned on the eschatology part of the Orthodox teaching?

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I gather that probably is something like it, yes. I have met a Roman Catholic who believed the same thing. Its goes very well with the concept of 'Theosis', because the two are approximately opposites. In theosis you take on God's attributes, thus taking on immortality as well. The opposite is the rejection of God and the assumption of death. It doesn't sound that much different from reincarnation to me, but I'm probably oversimplifying it. It also seems to fit with a nihilist conception in which that which you and I consider to be 'Human' is probably not eternal. It seems very different from conceptions of death in which every detail of every person is preserved in the afterlife. It even sounds like living forever is not one of their goals. I'm guessing about what the Orthodox article says, but only partly as it seems consistent with the NT. Most Christians I have met seem to gravitate towards this definition of hell, which they often call 'Separation from God'. Because God is called 'Love' it is difficult to reconcile other definitions.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
On wikipedia and here is the link, somewhere near the end of the page, I read this bit.

• Having been perfected, the human race will forever progress towards a deeper and fuller love of God, which equates with eternal happiness. (Does that include all people?) Where is the hell part, which supposedly will happen to the wicked? How come it is not mentioned on the eschatology part of the Orthodox teaching?

The Apostles creed is the foundational beliefs of Jesus disciples. YOu have to realise that they were Jewish and held to the hebrews scriptures as the basis for their beliefs in such things as the soul and hell.

• "I believe in God the Father Almighty,
    • (maker of heaven and earth).
    And in Jesus Christ his only son our Lord,
    • who was (conceived)by the Holy Ghost,
      • born of the Virgin Mary,
      suffered under Pontius Pilate,
      • was crucified(dead)and buried.
      (He descended into hell.)
      The third day he arose again from the dead;
      He ascended into heaven,
      • and sitteth at the right hand of(God)the Father(Almighty).
      From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
    I believe in the Holy Ghost,
    • the holy(catholic)Church;
      (the communion of saints)
      the forgiveness of sins;
      the resurrection of the body;

(and the life everlasting)[SIZE=-1]5[/SIZE]. Amen."

You notice that they say that Jesus was in hell for the time he was dead. So they had no real belief in a place of torment for the wicked....they would never claim that Jesus was in such a place until his resurrection. Obviously then this is evidence that their view of 'hell' was very different from the current churches & orthodox teachings.

davidthegreek

the title is wrong though. Because I forgot to change it. I began with another subject. On the way, I changed my mind, but I forgot to change the title.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe this is an assumption. I believe perhaps one could infer that standing is a physical attribute but I believe it may also be a spiritual image that would not neccesitate a physcal resurrection.

At first I believed this to be a truism but it is possible for some materialists to not have this actualization until this point.

I find it difficult to believe in progress. I believe we will have a deep love of God and can't imagine how it could be any deeper.

I don't believe it does.

Evidently there appears to be what I believe is a possibiity that someone who isn't wicked goes to Hell but at this point can be judged as someone belonging to eternal life. I believe the wicked who belong in Hell will be sent there.