• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this stealing?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
As a dishwasher, I throw out a lot of unused food at the end of the night. I'm not allowed to eat it though, bosses say it has to be thrown away. Say that it is stealing to take it. But I grub out anyways.

Is this stealing, in your opinion? I guess the owner of the food object has the right to do what they want with it. Idk. I'm particularly interested in religious perspectives. Christians, do you think I'm sinning when I take the food?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
As a dishwasher, I throw out a lot of unused food at the end of the night. I'm not allowed to eat it though, bosses say it has to be thrown away. Say that it is stealing to take it. But I grub out anyways.

Is this stealing, in your opinion? I guess the owner of the food object has the right to do what they want with it. Idk. I'm particularly interested in religious perspectives. Christians, do you think I'm sinning when I take the food?
im not a christian but...
Personally if it's going to be thrown out anyway might as well eat it.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
If I understand, in Judaism, it would not be considered stealing. There's a concept in Jewish law called hefker. It's unclaimed items which another person can freely claim for their own. In theory, the original owner needs to declare outloud that they abandon ownership. But in your specific case, if food comes back to the dish area unwanted, I think that should count as declaring the left overs ownerless.

From another perspective: could the left overs be considered "leaving the corners of the field for the poor"?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A lot don't due to legal liability and city ordinances, unfortunately.

According to the Federal "Emerson Good Samaritan Act" posted on the WhitePonyExpress website:

The Federal Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Act established in 1996, protects businesses that donate food in good faith from being held liable should someone become sick from the food. The only exception to the law is in the case of gross negligence or intentional misconduct. California AB-129 states, “except for injury resulting from gross negligence or intentional misconduct in the preparation or handling of donated food, no person, gleaner, or food facility that donates food that is fit for human consumption at the time it was donated to a nonprofit charitable organization or food bank shall be liable for any damage or injury resulting from the consumption of the donated food."

There are special rules in some situations but that's the basic law. WhitePonyExpress has rescued 18 MILLION pounds of food since its inception.

Nimos

In principle it is.

But have they given a reason for it? Because it sounds rather stupid to just throw it out if it's good food and ends up in the garbage bin anyway. Despite not being a Christian, and if we put on the good hat, I doubt God would sin for something like that, and if he did it would probably be the owners :)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I throw out a lot of unused food at the end of the night. I'm not allowed to eat it though, bosses say it has to be thrown away. Say that it is stealing to take it. But I grub out anyways.
We have a similar situation where I work. We have many regulations, many of which are not followed by our own company. These pertain to food and other things. Also our company regularly places us into the precarious position of having to break company rules. This is its regular practice. It is hypocritical and will forbid us to do various things simply to make us criminals, to make us feel like we are being coddled when we aren't called on the carpet. I cannot go into detail, but I think most employees of large corps know what I am talking about.

Is this stealing, in your opinion?
In Christianity the judgement is whether you can do something with public knowledge. If you have to hide your actions then it is questionable. It is not 'Stealing' sinc you aren't hurting the company, the the company has placed you into an awkward position and itself probably makes you break its own rules in many ways, however it is also not advisable to take the food. I'll pass you some references that roughly show what I am talking about, but I'm keeping all of this short.

I'm definitely taking this verse "Out of context," but it has more than one context: [Jhn 3:19-20 NIV] "19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed". The verse is not specifically talking about you or me, but it appeals to the principle that we have consciences. If there is something you don't want other people to know you are doing, something you have to hide, then that is discouraged in Christianity.​

Why do I think it probably isn't it stealing? Because it is trash. When someone throws something away it ceases to be their property, usually. That is typically how it is considered in laws and in common practice. "You threw it away" is a reasonable defense when one is accused of stealing. So you are disobeying your boss but aren't really stealing in my opinion. If they weren't throwing it away that would be different.

But you still probably shouldn't take it if you are a Christian.

Viker

Häxan

It's only private business that refers to it as "stealing", if they said that it's merely considered a health risk and possible health code violation for them. .. .no one would care. I don't see it as sin or morally wrong. It's just a health code thingamajig.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I've always hated this aspect of food service. I understand that there are risks with giving the food away, like food poisoning, opening up a potential for a lawsuit. But there should be a way that the food that is thrown away at the end of a restaurant or kitchen's day, should be donatable.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's only private business that refers to it as "stealing", if they said that it's merely considered a health risk and possible health code violation for them. .. .no one would care. I don't see it as sin or morally wrong. It's just a health code thingamajig.
There are times that a business is must express
some requirement for various legal reasons, but
can look the other way if violations aren't flagrant
& don't carry severe sanctions.
Perhaps your situation is like this, eh.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know what it is, but its stupid to throw away perfectly good food. That, I do know...

Our local Family Dollar started requiring local shops to break/cut anything they put in the dumpster so no one can get it for 'free'. Rather it go to the landfill than let some needy folks find it in the trash can...

Its despicable.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

No. Huge amounts of perfectly fine food is wasted every day just at the store I work at. We all have to eat. It's more unethical to waste it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't know what it is, but its stupid to throw away perfectly good food. That, I do know...

Our local Family Dollar started requiring local shops to break/cut anything they put in the dumpster so no one can get it for 'free'. Rather it go to the landfill than let some needy folks find it in the trash can...

Its despicable.
I've worked retail in the past, and a few times I took and donated undamaged merchandise that was otherwise destined for the dumpster.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've worked retail in the past, and a few times I took and donated undamaged merchandise that was otherwise destined for the dumpster.
Victoria's Secret throws stuff down the drain and into shredders so dumpster divers can't get them (or at least used to. It's been over a decade since I've done their inventory).

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Victoria's Secret throws stuff down the drain and into shredders so dumpster divers can't get them (or at least used to. It's been over a decade since I've done their inventory).

People frown upon dumpster divers, but it's better to recycle and repurpose refuse that would otherwise pile up in ever-growing landfills. Also, abandoned pets and babies have been found and rescued by dumpster divers.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

As a dishwasher you are pulling in the big bucks. So it is totally immoral for you . . . What? . . . . Oh rats. My friend just told me that dishwashers get paid crap wages. My bad. Go ahead and feel free.

But some practical opinion. First off if you like your job there would be nothing wrong with eating food that is being thrown away when you are paid as poorly as every other dishwasher that I have ever known. So try to avoid being caught. But don't worry too much if you are. Many restaurants are begging and pleading for entry level workers these days. So go ahead. There is nothing immoral about eating that food. Avoid being caught if you can, Do not flaunt your activities. And if you are caught you are unlikely to be fires. At least the first time. Unless there is a sudden glut on the market of dishwashers you probably have a job.