• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this some kind of discrimination with ladies ?

Gargovic Malkav

From a biblical point of view, Adam came first and Eve came from him. To my interpretation, this makes Adam not only representative of the male sex, but also representative of the root of both genders. God is the root of all things. Partly because this, I refer to Him as a He. The other reason is because I am "taught" to refer to Him as a he. It's a cultural habit of sorts. And I don't feel I'm being sexist when I do that, so I see no reason to change that.

wellwisher

He and she in the bible is not about biology. Rather he and she is more connected to ancient symbolism associated with spirit and matter. The classic female element is connected to matter and physical reality. A woman can produce a material based baby. Mother Nature or she is connected to biological reality. Biological male and female and their DNA are two parts of the female element; she is binary. Many early religions were matriarchs or based on the wonders of material nature, which were overseen by the females. The physical male is part of the "she" element since it is material.

The classic male element is more about spirit instead of matter. Spirit is ethereal and more like thought, impulse, consciousness, will and choice. This male element is part of both biological males and females since we are all conscious. The male element produces brain children, using energy signals within the brain. When God is referred to as he, the bible is thinking in terms of thought and consciousness, without the limits of material reality. His imagination can transcend material limits to create anew.

In modern biology and psychology, since we are all based on Paternal and Maternal DNA, we all have male and female DNA. This DNA is divided between the conscious and unconscious mind. It is not just about the physical manifestation on the surface, but also what is inside and often hidden. A male has a female side and a female has a male side; he-she-he and she-he-she.

In physics, mass which is the main substance of matter, cannot travel at the speed of light according to Einstein. Below the speed of light is the she element, while at the speed of light is the he element. God, as he, would need to be energy signals. At the speed of light ,time and space behave differently. Creativity, for example, can see the future in the imagination, before it becomes part of material reality. He; God, can create and see what can be, but she; science, will not be satisfied until it becomes manifest as material.

gnostic

The Lost One
Often, God is described as "He" but not "She". Ladies, do you see this as some kind of discrimination ?
The problems only exist with monotheistic religions.

Not so much with polytheistic religions.

The only solution would be referring to the one deity as “It”.

But as Rival pointed out, the language may not have gender-neutral pronouns.

But that would not preclude translations to other languages from using pronouns that are not gender-sensitive.

But...another “but”, sorry...but from my experiences with dealing with translations of ancient literature, I preferred that the translations should stay as close to the original context of the sources.

So I see no needs to switch pronouns in translations for the sake of political correctness.

So if the sources were originally written as “he”, “she” or “it”, then that should be the ways they be translated.

gnostic

The Lost One
Gods wife??? Who is that?
The older pre-Islamic sources indicated that the pagan Allah has a wife or consort, as well as children...daughters if I recall correctly.

It was the same with supreme god of the Canaanite and Ugaritic pantheons - El.

Before the Hebrew religion existed, El had wife and consort, and many children.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The older pre-Islamic sources indicated that the pagan Allah has a wife or consort, as well as children...daughters if I recall correctly.

It was the same with supreme god of the Canaanite and Ugaritic pantheons - El.

Before the Hebrew religion existed, El had wife and consort, and many children.
That is a dibelief then the teaching in the Qur'an :)
Is that God you speak of in the form of a human being?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
From a biblical point of view, Adam came first and Eve came from him. To my interpretation, this makes Adam not only representative of the male sex, but also representative of the root of both genders. God is the root of all things. Partly because this, I refer to Him as a He. The other reason is because I am "taught" to refer to Him as a he. It's a cultural habit of sorts. And I don't feel I'm being sexist when I do that, so I see no reason to change that.
In one Jewish view, Adam was created as both male and female. All G-d later did was separate the two.

gnostic

The Lost One
That is a dibelief then the teaching in the Qur'an :)
Is that God you speak of in the form of a human being?

It isn’t the questions about belief or disbelief. It is simply history.

Muhammad may have started a new religion in the early 7th century CE, but the older religions in the Arabian peninsula predated Muhammad, were polytheistic in nature.

And Allah was just one of many deities in the Arabian pagan cults.

Are you really an Arab with ancestry that can be traced before Muhammad?

If you are, then should you forget your own history?

I think too many Arabs have forgotten their own history that existed before the Quran, just to accommodate Islam. That’s sad.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It isn’t the questions about belief or disbelief. It is simply history.

Muhammad may have started a new religion in the early 7th century CE, but the older religions in the Arabian peninsula predated Muhammad, were polytheistic in nature.

And Allah was just one of many deities in the Arabian pagan cults.

Are you really an Arab with ancestry that can be traced before Muhammad?

If you are, then should you forget your own history?

I think too many Arabs have forgotten their own history that existed before the Quran, just to accommodate Islam. That’s sad.
I am a Norwegian person who converted to Islam

gnostic

The Lost One
I am a Norwegian person who converted to Islam

Then would you try or want to rewrite Norwegian history when Norwegians have been Christians for a thousand years, or wipe out your pagan ancestors history when the Vikings worshipped the Norse gods?

I am not asking to believe in Christianity or Norse religion...I am asking would you rewrite the history of Norway, simply to accommodate Islam?

Should the past be forgotten?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Then would you try or want to rewrite Norwegian history when Norwegians have been Christians for a thousand years, or wipe out your pagan ancestors history when the Vikings worshipped the Norse gods?

I am not asking to believe in Christianity or Norse religion...I am asking would you rewrite the history of Norway, simply to accommodate Islam?

Should the past be forgotten?
No i have no need to rewrite anything, all i do is to practice Islam as it is taught in the Qur'an. History is history, nothing i can do about that.

gnostic

The Lost One
No i have no need to rewrite anything, all i do is to practice Islam as it is taught in the Qur'an. History is history, nothing i can do about that.
Well so many of pre-Islamic history and oral traditions of the Arab tribes were lost due to Muhammad and Islam. And pagan religions in Arabia was its biggest causality, because Muhammad and Islam were the victor.

Idols - in which I would considered art and history - were destroyed when Muhammad entered Mecca with his army in 630.

The idols would have been archaeological evidence of Mecca’s past history. Before Muhammad’s death, he and his army went from town after town destroying all idols.

That is tragic.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well so many of pre-Islamic history and oral traditions of the Arab tribes were lost due to Muhammad and Islam. And pagan religions in Arabia was its biggest causality, because Muhammad and Islam were the victor.

Idols - in which I would considered art and history - were destroyed when Muhammad entered Mecca with his army in 630.

The idols would have been archaeological evidence of Mecca’s past history. Before Muhammad’s death, he and his army went from town after town destroying all idols.

That is tragic.
I can not change what happen that time, nor can any civilized muslim today.
Yes many cultures has gone lost because of people did wrong action.
But to blame Islam for everything that was wrong in the past is not correct too.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Often, God is described as "He" but not "She". Ladies, do you see this as some kind of discrimination ?

If you read theologians talk about this, you rather quickly get your answer.

It isn't because of the patriarchy of sexism or whatever.

It's because God is married to us. We are the Bride of God. Therefore God is male, while humans are female.

gnostic

The Lost One
I can not change what happen that time, nor can any civilized muslim today.
Nor can I.

People have been destroying places and things, burning books, whether for political reasons or for cultural/social reasons or for religious reasons. And sometimes it is all three.

The thing about rewriting history, is the needs of leaders to consolidate their powers, and rewriting history is a form of propaganda.

Muhammad was no different.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Nor can I.

People have been destroying places and things, burning books, whether for political reasons or for cultural/social reasons or for religious reasons. And sometimes it is all three.

The thing about rewriting history, is the needs of leaders to consolidate their powers, and rewriting history is a form of propaganda.

Muhammad was no different.
I believe in Allah and in Muhammad, i respect any other belief that people have. But i notice often that as soon one say, I am a muslim, then the mocking of Muhammad starts.

When is people going to begin seeing and focusing on the good in religion, be it Islam, Christianity, Baha'i, Hindu, Buddhism or any other religion?

Why the constant " I must find all the worsed i can to downplay other peoples belief?"

If you do not like or believe in Islam, not a problem at all. But each person is allowed to have their belief and religion. Or no religion at all.

Can you please answer why only the negative is so important to speak about? Its maybe 5% of religions that has been used by ignorant people to discredit religions.