• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this some kind of discrimination with ladies ?

QuestioningMind

Erm, you are taking this way further than anyone ever intended. Calling G-d 'He' is a personal pronoun. In conventional language use we use 'he' or 'she' as polite forms for people and animals and deity. In foreign languages inanimate objects also have genders, but obviously this is not referring to any biological sex. In French the Moon is feminine. Boat is masculine. We call G-d He or She because it better illustrates the closeness that we have with Him and the personal relationship we are meant to pursue. Human beings use language in myriad ways, not just the bizarrely concrete terms you are thinking in. To call G-d anything other than 'He' or 'She' would be impersonal and lacking emotion; one needs emotion to connect to one's Creator.

Actually you can just use the word GOD... no need for HE or SHE or IT. Referring To GOD as GOD is not impersonal. The ONLY reason to choose a pronoun such as HE or SHE is to try and emphasize that one is better than the other... that HE'S are the authority figues and that SHE'S are not.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Often, God is described as "He" but not "She". Ladies, do you see this as some kind of discrimination ?
Does God have a gender at all?
Can God be both feminine and maskuline but still be one being?

Are we humans seeing God through human eyes and thought, but can not clearly understand what God truly are, because our language is not made to describe God?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually you can just use the word GOD... no need for HE or SHE or IT. Referring To GOD as GOD is not impersonal. The ONLY reason to choose a pronoun such as HE or SHE is to try and emphasize that one is better than the other... that HE'S are the authority figues and that SHE'S are not.
No it isn't. And as I've already said, 'She' can be used and is used by some people for G-d. Saying 'G-d' all the time is weird and not the way humans construct speech. G-d is male in Hebrew because in Hebrew the noun 'god' is masculine. It's really simple. 'Sheikinah', that is, the Divine Presence, is feminine and is spoken of as such.

And you still haven't explained how foreign languages can call inanimate objects male or female given your bizarre argument that this must mean the thing in question has a biological sex.

Also, you took my reasoning about my finding it easier to see G-d as an authority figure as a male and applied it to everyone, for some reason.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is just absurd. The main reason G-d is given a gender is because most languages have no neutral gender that's also personal. Calling G-d 'It' is very impersonal and lacks the quality of relationship. It also seems very offensive.
Theoretically if you thought God encompassed both the feminine and masculine, and felt the masculine was incomplete, you could always refer to them by the completely acceptable they/them that thousands of non-binary use. Or refrain from using gendered language at all and refer by other titles. I know of one Jewish individual who mixes feminine and masculine depending on what God is being described to be doing or speaking about within the sentence.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Often, God is described as "He" but not "She". Ladies, do you see this as some kind of discrimination ?

Much of abrahamic religion discriminates against women so to see the god described as he is just as it is.

I think both Aphrodite and Anoia are better examples

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Theoretically if you thought God encompassed both the feminine and masculine, and felt the masculine was incomplete, you could always refer to them by the completely acceptable they/them that thousands of non-binary use. Or refrain from using gendered language at all and refer by other titles. I know of one Jewish individual who mixes feminine and masculine depending on what God is being described to be doing or speaking about within the sentence.
Yeah some people do this, but I think using 'they would be very problematic given how much emphasis Judaism places on the oneness of G-d, even if it's not being used as a plural. As I said, I find it easier to connect to G-d as a He, but wasn't making any argument that others should do so. As I said to QM, some do refer to G-d as She.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
My apologizes... then .'...SHE can't see females as authority figures..'
I can though. I just said I find it easier to relate to G-d as a male authority figure and to see males as authority figures; not that I can't see women that way.

Last edited:

chinu

chinu
Does God have a gender at all?
Can God be both feminine and maskuline but still be one being?

Are we humans seeing God through human eyes and thought, but can not clearly understand what God truly are, because our language is not made to describe God?
Quran is written in Arabic. Doesn't Quran describes God ? :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Quran is written in Arabic. Doesn't Quran describes God ? :)
No not that i found, God is called Allah in Islam as you know. And since no human being can know God in this way there is no use of describing anymore then saying Allah, but the Qur'an do say Allah has 99 names that is used in different settings.
Personally to say Allah is good enough to me, no need to use a gender related term.

chinu

chinu
No not that i found, God is called Allah in Islam as you know. And since no human being can know God in this way there is no use of describing anymore then saying Allah, but the Qur'an do say Allah has 99 names that is used in different settings.
Personally to say Allah is good enough to me, no need to use a gender related term.
You said.. languages are not made to describe God/Allah.

Friend, what do mean by saying this -- that is my question ?