• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this really how a president should answer questions?

Rational Agnostic

Maybe I am wrong, but does not the journalists ask a fully legal questions toward the American president here?
And listen to his answers.

I'm no fan of Trump, but he was definitely in the right here. The mainstream media has over-hyped and sensationalized this virus to the point that the public is on the verge of panic and paranoia. I'm glad Trump put him in his place.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
That is not what "begging the question" means.

Begging the question is a logical fallacy wherein you try to prove your conclusion by using your conclusion as one of your premises.
begging the question - Wiktionary

It's not relevant to the point you were making, but I just wanted to point that out because I see this term incorrectly used so much. I use to use it incorrectly myself until I learned otherwise because it's so commonly misused that we take for granted that is the proper way to use the phrase.
Except he was not claiming a logical fallacy...
He was saying the situation begs for the question he presented be asked.
ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with a logical fallacy in any way shape or form.

Rise

Except he was not claiming a logical fallacy...
He was saying the situation begs for the question he presented be asked.
ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with a logical fallacy in any way shape or form.

The point flew over your head.
It's precisely because he was using it the way you say which is why he was using it wrong.

If you had read the link I posted you might have noticed:
"In common usage, begging the question has recently become synonymous with “raising the question”; this usage is often proscribed."

Rise

No, the point flew over your head.

The point being that the phrase in that post was not referring to fallacy.

The point flew over your head.
It's precisely because he was using it the way you say which is why he was using it wrong.

If you had read the link I posted you might have noticed:
"In common usage, begging the question has recently become synonymous with “raising the question”; this usage is often proscribed."

ecco

Veteran Member
MSNBC is taking things out of context by not showing the full exchange.

Go to 41:20 to see the first question from that reporter. And go a couple minutes back if you want the larger context about the government acquiring a large amount of a medication that could potentially prove effective against COVID-19 because it reportedly was effective against SARS.

To which the reporter responded:
"Is it possible that your impulse to put a positive spin may be giving Americans a false sense of hope..."

When Trump called him out for a nasty question, I think he was referring to not merely the question just asked of him, but the one which immediately preceded it as well.

The tone of the second question seems to carry with it the suggestion that he's doesn't think the President's answer to his first question was good enough as a message to the American people. You could take his second question as challenging Trump to tell the American people something different - something not so positive. And if that's the case, then Trump was right to call the reporter out for being a terrible example of his profession. What kind of reporter would insist at a time like this that the President should be more negative during a crisis and not let people have any hope?

Apologetics at its finest.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That is not what "begging the question" means.

Begging the question is a logical fallacy wherein you try to prove your conclusion by using your conclusion as one of your premises.
begging the question - Wiktionary

It's not relevant to the point you were making, but I just wanted to point that out because I see this term incorrectly used so much. I use to use it incorrectly myself until I learned otherwise because it's so commonly misused that we take for granted that is the proper way to use the phrase.
"Begging the question", as I was using it, is supposed to be self-contradictory by its nature, thus I actually did used it "correctly".

Last edited:

pearl

Terrible way to answer, but I must admit the question is pretty stupid: pointlessly accusatory and vague. It's the sort of virtually unanswerable "custard pie" question I really hate in journalism.

To ask a president for reassurance in a time of crises is not stupid. All people are looking for is 'do you have a handle on this' . It was Trump's answer that was 'stupid', thoughtless and once again blew up in his face.

metis

To ask a president for reassurance in a time of crises is not stupid. All people are looking for is 'do you have a handle on this' . It was Trump's answer that was 'stupid', thoughtless and once again blew up in his face.
IMO, Trump hasn't left his campaign mode, thus lashing out at "others" continues to be his m.o.

shmogie

Just re-elect him then. Imbecile nation's problem solved, and expectations fulfilled.
Are you proud of your draconian death penalty, skid rows, and LEGIONS of largesse parasites?
Ah, another Norwegian chiming in. Tell me, when was the last time you were in America,

shmogie

Ah, another Norwegian chiming in. Tell me, when was the last time you were in America,
Continuing,
you speak with authority, you must have seen what you state, for yourself.

You must realize that then that what ou are complaining about is limited to a few cities in a nation of 320 million.

You have seen the states and thousands of cities and towns that don't have what you complain about.

The death penalty, a necessary evil that I support, I'll debate it with you, if you choose

shmogie

Compare a country that was testing its citizens with one where we were told there was no problem while we were utterly fumbling testing?

In a week or so, comparisons will be valid but not today.

But for comparisons, goto Coronavirus Update (Live): 274,092 Cases and 11,352 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer and sort on Total cases/million.
Agreed, at first the lab capacity for massive testing was limited. That had been totally corrected. The primary cause was FDA rigid regulations to ensure a testing protocol that was approved, which private labs did not necessarily use. The certification requirement has been waived.

Testing was for those with specific symptoms, not for those who might have been exposed, that too has changed.

Again, No one was totally prepared for this, in the end it will be those who best adapted who are the most successful.

We will see.

shmogie

I don't like the tiny baby trumpy-wumpy and I'd tell him so. I don't like pile of poop Mitch and his poo flinging and I'd tell him so. I don't like right wing fanatics who are destroying the country. I don't like those who refuse to consider ethics and morals to be destroying the country. I don't like those who excuse that pile of poo in the white house. Lock them all up. Make the right wing party illegal.

Now I've channeled Trump using a mirror.
All fine. Though you are wrong in your observations, as they saying goes, "I will defend to the death your right to say them".

metis

Lashing out isn't just his campaign mode, it's his lifestyle mode.
Good point, and a large part of his "training" on this came from Roy Cohn of Red Scare notoriety-- always attack/never apologize.

ecco

Veteran Member
Agreed, at first the lab capacity for massive testing was limited. That had been totally corrected.

In your WAG opinion the testing issue has been resolved. Perhaps you could post a source, other than Trump's ignorant comments.

The primary cause was FDA rigid regulations to ensure a testing protocol that was approved, which private labs did not necessarily use. The certification requirement has been waived.

Goody. That means any shysters can open a lab and test your swab.

shmogie

I don't like the tiny baby trumpy-wumpy and I'd tell him so. I don't like pile of poop Mitch and his poo flinging and I'd tell him so. I don't like right wing fanatics who are destroying the country. I don't like those who refuse to consider ethics and morals to be destroying the country. I don't like those who excuse that pile of poo in the white house. Lock them all up. Make the right wing party illegal.

Now I've channeled Trump using a mirror.
Of course, you mean YOUR ethics and morals.

Make the party illegal? LOL ! How left wing stalin of you. Trump has never stated that the cancer among us, the democrat party, should be made illegal and you and your fellow travelers locked up. A Freudian slip on your part?

aeon6

Imagine hanging on to life as a yellow-and-orange specimen, voted for by your own daft population, and now faced with oblivion. There will be the ultimate tantrum (nukes?) on his part. Not out of self-preservation but rather out of vindictiveness and belligerence. You see what you are dealing with and are STILL too ashamed to admit obvious fault.

It is like in the children's story "The Emperor's New Clothes". A young boy at some pomp parade for the emperor declared he was naked, and was urged to shut up under penalty of child imprisonment.