• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this kid the next Einstein?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is it that so many of these geniuses have a form of autism?

That's one of the things that stood out most for me when I read this article.

Maybe the kids who see things with the greatest clarity feel the greatest need to withdraw.

A

angellous_evangellous

If he makes a lot of progress, he might be the next Angellous.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Autism is very little understood yet. In many of its forms it could be fairly described as "excessive focus".

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why is it that so many of these geniuses have a form of autism?

Didn't know they did. Got any on-line sources about this?
The article says the boy has asperger's, which is a mild form of autism.

Autism can lead to genius, as it can reduce social skills but increase one's ability in a specialized manner, such as creativity, mathematical ability, musical ability, and so forth. So a significant percentage of famous mathematicians, scientists, and musicians have had some form of autism.

I've seen autism described as an extreme form of the male brain- an unusually increased ability to focus on a subject at the exclusion of a more general awareness. In addition to that, while men and women have fairly equal average IQ levels, men are more likely than women to fall on the sides of the bell curve, either with an abnormally low or high IQ.

Interesting links regarding autism and genius:
Autism genes can add up to genius - Times Online
Albert Einstein 'found genius through autism' - Telegraph

Skwim

Veteran Member
Thanks. Very interesting.
icon14.gif

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
The article says the boy has asperger's, which is a mild form of autism.

Autism can lead to genius, as it can reduce social skills but increase one's ability in a specialized manner, such as creativity, mathematical ability, musical ability, and so forth. So a significant percentage of famous mathematicians, scientists, and musicians have had some form of autism.

I've seen autism described as an extreme form of the male brain- an unusually increased ability to focus on a subject at the exclusion of a more general awareness. In addition to that, while men and women have fairly equal average IQ levels, men are more likely than women to fall on the sides of the bell curve, either with an abnormally low or high IQ.

Interesting links regarding autism and genius:
Autism genes can add up to genius - Times Online
Albert Einstein 'found genius through autism' - Telegraph

Thanks for the info :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I read an article about him in the Indianapolis Star a couple weeks ago. Very impressive that at 12 years old he is studying calculus based physics at IUPUI. That article though didn't specifically mention Aspergers, but did say he has mild Autism. But it did quote him on saying he sees numbers as pictures, which is an indication of Aspergers.
One thing that is for certain, this kid is going places, and will probably be one of histories most brilliant scientist along with Einstein and Hawking.