• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this God's Earth?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Last night I was having a debate with someone here on these forums when all of a sudden he/she made an aside in which he/she called me “scum” and asserted that “this Earth is God’s Earth” before claiming that some day God will rid this planet of all the people this person dislikes… such as me.

This got me thinking: Is this Earth God’s Earth? Or is it humanity’s Earth???

I’d say that it belongs to humanity…

That all humans collectively own it...

I’d say God made it to be the environment in which humanity could develop and live

I’d say it’s a gift, just as life is a gift

If it was given to us we therefore own it – ownership has been transferred and it is now ours

I’d say it’s the greatest gift ever given by anyone to anyone else

It is perfectly suited to hosting civilised life – and that I believe is no accident!

And we need it – like a pet fish needs a fish tank! Or like a tree needs soil

We cannot live without it, it supports our life

I say it’s not simply the place we live; I’d say it is our home. God gave us a home. And what a home. Such generosity!

And yet as a species we are clearly trashing this God-given home of ours!

We are being very ungrateful.

Maybe some day we will grow up and start caring for it in a way that shows that we value it

And maybe practicing environmentalism is a way of honouring God?

This is my claim: The Earth is a gift from God to humans and as such we own it and therefore it is not his!

Question: Is this “God’s Earth” or is it humanity’s Earth?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

All reality is God's . Every atom, every quark, in all of existence, from the center all the way to the edge.

If it was given to us we therefore own it – ownership has been transferred and it is now ours

More like loaned for temporary habitation.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Last night I was having a debate with someone here on these forums when all of a sudden he/she made an aside in which he/she called me “scum” and asserted that “this Earth is God’s Earth” before claiming that some day God will rid this planet of all the people this person dislikes… such as me.

I’d say God made it to be the environment in which humanity could develop and live

It is perfectly suited to hosting civilised life – and that I believe is no accident!

I say it’s not simply the place we live; I’d say it is our home. God gave us a home. And what a home. Such generosity!

Maybe some day we will grow up and start caring for it in a way that shows that we value it

This is my claim: The Earth is a gift from God to humans and as such we own it and therefore it is not his!

God gave Man dominion
so...for now....it's ours

on the other hand....
someone of renown is often quoted.....
the Lord gives....the Lord takes away

apparently it's a toss up

dingdao

The eternal Tao cannot be told - Tao Te Ching
God gave Man dominion
so...for now....it's ours

on the other hand....
someone of renown is often quoted.....
the Lord gives....the Lord takes away

apparently it's a toss up
This dominion you speak of has resulted in a profound prolonged destructive impact on the Earth.
It looks like the Lord is taking away.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
There's more than just humans on this Earth...the Earth belongs to all of its inhabitants, from bacteria to blue whales...it may also belong to some interstellar civilization that has claimed it (just like Columbus claimed all the New World for Spain, without having set foot anywhere near most of it)...

I think people overall would do well to get over this idea of exclusivity of ownership, whether individual or corporate, especially as applied to the land and oceans. We are but temporary squatters that we owe to the past, and the future is owed to...

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
All reality is God's . Every atom, every quark, in all of existence, from the center all the way to the edge.

He doesn't own my stuff

Only I own my stuff

I'm certain the laptop I'm writing this on belongs to me and to me alone

But I don't know about your stuff, I can only speak for myself

Enoch07

Premium Member
He doesn't own my stuff

Only I own my stuff

I'm certain the laptop I'm writing this on belongs to me and to me alone

But I don't know about your stuff, I can only speak for myself

God created reality, it is His to do with whatever He wishes.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
God created reality, it is His to do with whatever He wishes.

I think God acknowledges property rights - I believe God acknowledges that my laptop is mine

I'd say God rules reality...

...and that ruling something is different to owning something

So God rules over my laptop but does not own it

Likewise, he rules over us humans but I wouldn't say he owns us as a vital aspect of being human is owning one's self

Enoch07

Premium Member
I think God acknowledges property rights - I believe God acknowledges that my laptop is mine

I'd say God rules reality...

...and that ruling something is different to owning something

So God rules over my laptop but does not own it

Likewise, he rules over us humans but I wouldn't say he owns us as a vital aspect of being human is owning one's self

He does rule reality as well, to an extent, He does allow for us to have freewill within His reality.

But I stand my stance of His ownership.

If you create something then you are its owner.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If you create something then you are its owner.

True.. unless you give it to someone, sell it, or disown it

I believe that if we truly own ourselves then by extension we truly own our planet as the planet is a necessary extension of us, we require it to survive

I believe that God created the universe but property-wise it's a massive free-for-all and he made it so that we may own it and divide it up amongst ourselves - under his rule, which I believe respects property rights

Enoch07

Premium Member
I believe that God created the universe but property-wise it's a massive free-for-all and he made it so that we may own it and divide it up amongst ourselves - under his rule, which I believe respects property rights

Sure it's ours for so long as we are alive.

But in Revelations God reclaims and establishes His kingdom here on Earth for everyone. This time He rules with us, instead of from behind the veil. So like I say we have a temporary ownership. The Lord will reclaim it when He sees fit.

nPeace

Veteran Member

Really?
@Eddi by the way, this is God's earth. He gets to clean the scum off of it.
Is this where the person called you scum? :grimacing:
This is the most interesting forum I have ever been on. You get to meet some interesting people. :smile:
I might accuse a person of lying, before I call them scum, but I'm sure I would never call an individual scum.

The Bible indeed says God will remove the wicked from the earth, and he does refer to them as scum. - (Psalm 119:119) . . .As scummy dross you have made all the wicked ones of the earth to cease.. . .
I think that's a good thing - they deserve removal.
That's why I like the list here...
(Revelation 21:8) . . .But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and the sexually immoral and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This means the second death.”

I agree with some of the things you say here, although not all - definitely not the part in the first sentence. LOL.
Curious though... Why do you consider yourself scum? :)

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Sure it's ours for so long as we are alive.

But in Revelations God reclaims and establishes His kingdom here on Earth for everyone. This time He rules with us, instead of from behind the veil. So like I say we have a temporary ownership. The Lord will reclaim it when He sees fit.

I agree

But I don't think God values his ownership of the physical universe that much - he can simply will another physical universe into existence on a whim with zero exertion. I think it's the inhabitants of this universe he cares for and that are important to him

After end times how do we know he won't just delete it all and start again?

Enoch07

Premium Member
After end times how do we know he won't just delete it all and start again?

I question this myself, and have reason to believe this is plausible.

Though I disagree about how much God values His creation.

I think He loves us (in particular) very much. Mayhap enough that He does reset and start everything over again, maybe as many times as needed until nobody is condemned to hell.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Really?
@Eddi by the way, this is God's earth. He gets to clean the scum off of it.
Is this where the person called you scum? :grimacing:
This is the most interesting forum I have ever been on. You get to meet some interesting people. :smile:
I might accuse a person of lying, before I call them scum, but I'm sure I would never call an individual scum.

The Bible indeed says God will remove the wicked from the earth, and he does refer to them as scum. - (Psalm 119:119) . . .As scummy dross you have made all the wicked ones of the earth to cease.. . .
I think that's a good thing - they deserve removal.
That's why I like the list here...
(Revelation 21:8) . . .But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and the sexually immoral and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This means the second death.”

I agree with some of the things you say here, although not all - definitely not the part in the first sentence. LOL.
Curious though... Why do you consider yourself scum? :)

OK, so you didn't call me scum! :)

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
We are stewards. We don't own anything. God, being God, owns and determines all things.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
So you don't consider yourself scum, or do you? I'm still curious about that.

No, no I don't consider myself scum!

I'm far from perfect but "scum" would be too harsh

I try to lead a good life and do what's right

And I'd hope that nobody else (God included) would think me scum