• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this god concept incoherent?

atanu

Premium Member
God’s joy moves from unmarked box to unmarked box, from cell to cell. As rainwater, down into flowerbed. As roses, up from ground. Now it looks like a plate of rice and fish, now a cliff covered with vines, now a horse being saddled. It hides within these, till one day it cracks them open.

Rumi

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
God’s joy moves from unmarked box to unmarked box, from cell to cell. As rainwater, down into flowerbed. As roses, up from ground. Now it looks like a plate of rice and fish, now a cliff covered with vines, now a horse being saddled. It hides within these, till one day it cracks them open.

Rumi

I believe the god(s) concept is incoherent when viewed from the diverse and conflicting claims of cultural perspective of the different religions that claim their view is the correct,

There is the possibility of coherency if you consider the the different religions reflecting a human cultural view of the 'Source' called God(s) from different human perspectives as humanity evolved spiritually over time..

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Rumi

I'd say yes: it's incoherent (edit: in and of itself).

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Rumi

Rumi was a poet; I'm not sure he meant this to be analyzed literally.

atanu

Premium Member
Rumi was a poet; I'm not sure he meant this to be analyzed literally.

Why Rumi experiences joy in everything and you do not? :D

I experience joy just watching your avatar — sensing the creative impulse of the primeval source coursing through the artist.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Rumi

Yes.

Milton Platt

Rumi

I can't even understand the sentence. How does joy "move"?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I agree. The implicit joy is not a coherent thing for the rational mind.
I think there is a more basic problem: you can't explain a concept of God coherently if you start in the middle.

This poem, if that is what it is, talks about the joy of God without giving any clue as to what this God is supposed to be.

I presume the author had a concept of God in mind, which he or she expected the reader to share. So it may make sense as a poem, given an already shared concept of God, but this poem on its own can't do the job of explaining the concept of God that it assumes.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Rumi

What does it mean to 'crack them open' on this context ? Is there a surrounding text for this quote ?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Coherence, for me, requires dual attachment. "Co-herent", both adhering to each other... This means that for a concept to be coherent it needs to be objectively true for at least two parties/people, both people need to be attached to it.

The description of God as Joy That Flows might be coherent to some, but not coherent to others. It depends on the audience.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Rumi

It seems coherent, at least to millions of folks who believe. Like a dream I had which was completely coherent and logical until I tried to explain it to someone else. Then as I heard myself talking, it began to make less and less sense.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What does it mean to 'crack them open' on this context ? Is there a surrounding text for this quote ?
Imagine with your mind a visualization of joy moving in and through these various mediums. See in you mind's eye, currents of energies, colorize them if it helps, inside everything. And then further reach with the imagination visualizing how that surface features of these objects that joy is contained within, splitting open and allowing that raw energy itself to be released. What does that look like? What feeling does that inspire within you?

This is what poetry and metaphors are supposed to do for the reader. Think beyond the concrete world of objects and see them through a different set of eyes than that concrete-literal eyes alone. What feeling does it inspire? That's the intent of metaphor, not as a descriptor, but a look beyond them.

Milton Platt

an emotion is energy.

Nope. It's a human concept.

In physics, energy is the quantitative property that must be transferred to an object in order to perform work on, or to heat, the object.[note 1] Energy is a conserved quantity; the law of conservation of energy states that energy can be converted in form, but not created or destroyed. The SI unit of energy is the joule, which is the energy transferred to an object by the work of moving it a distance of 1 metre against a force of 1 newton.

Common forms of energy include the kinetic energy of a moving object, the potential energy stored by an object's position in a force field (gravitational, electric or magnetic), the elastic energy stored by stretching solid objects, the chemical energy released when a fuel burns, the radiant energy carried by light, and the thermal energy due to an object's temperature.

Mass and energy are closely related. Due to mass–energy equivalence, any object that has mass when stationary (called rest mass) also has an equivalent amount of energy whose form is called rest energy, and any additional energy (of any form) acquired by the object above that rest energy will increase the object's total mass just as it increases its total energy. For example, after heating an object, its increase in energy could be measured as a small increase in mass, with a sensitive enough scale.

Living organisms require energy to stay alive, such as the energy humans get from food. Human civilization requires energy to function, which it gets from energy resources such as fossil fuels, nuclear fuel, or renewable energy. The processes of Earth's climate and ecosystem are driven by the radiant energy Earth receives from the sun and the geothermal energy contained within the earth.