• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this art?

Is this art?

• Total voters

PureX

Veteran Member
you knock every description of art, including dictionary definition and professional opinion but strangely i have never seen you describe what you consider to be art.
Dictionaries record our general stupidity as it is expressed in our everyday language. And I don't knock all definitions of art, just the silly and wrong-headed ones.

PureX

Veteran Member
Maybe the setting up, the creative side, the actual art taking place was worthy of being observed.
Not in this instance, it wasn't; as observing it added absolutely nothing to the actual artwork being produced. (At least nothing that could be gleaned from the video, which makes making the video a failed result either way.)

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm not trying to be a jerk, here, but art isn't something that we can just pull out our winkies to see how it feels. Artists put a lot of time, money, effort, and thought into their artworks. They are made to exist for a reason, and we owe it to them to expend a little time and effort and thought of our own when viewing their artworks. Art isn't, "whatever we want it to be" any more than medicine is, "whatever we want it to be". Art is a very long-standing and very specific human endeavor that serves a very long-standing social need and human purpose. It's not just "pretty stuff". It's not just clever craftsmanship. It's not just decoration or entertainment. And it's insulting to artists to treat it as if it is.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Dictionaries record our general stupidity as it is expressed in our everyday language. And I don't knock all definitions of art, just the silly and wrong-headed ones.

You forgot the "in my opinion" get out clause.

And you still refuse to provide your personal definition.

I wonder why?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Not in this instance, it wasn't; as observing it added absolutely nothing to the actual artwork being produced. (At least nothing that could be gleaned from the video, which makes making the video a failed result either way.)

Wrong, in some sections the emotion of the artist was plain to see and art is about emotion, not your clinic criticism