• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This An Example Of Islam?

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
“Do not (you men) marry idolatresses unless they believe; a believing woman is better than a idolatress, even if you like her. Nor shall you (women) marry idolatrous men, unless they believe. A believing man is better than an idolater, even if you like them.” 2:221

So it may not be in the Quran, But it might be cultural and vary from country to country that only men can marry outside Islam, I'm not sure :shrug: Either way.

If it ain't in the Qur'an, it doesn't count. Idol worshippers are different than People of the Book (Christians and Jews), and there still is no punishment mentioned... just that it is "better". "Shall not" does not imply punishment no matter how you interpret it.

Sudanese woman sentenced to death for apostasy

So apparently it's his interpretation, Though I wonder how commonplace it is?

Plenty will interpret it this way, but the Qur'an trumps all, and there is no punishment for marrying outside of Islam for men or for women. Period.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Would you please direct us to the forum which shows that Muslims were in agreement with such punishment and you was the only hero among them.

Please post the link of the thread.

Please don't do that, PM the link instead. :)

Thana

Lady
If it ain't in the Qur'an, it doesn't count. Idol worshippers are different than People of the Book (Christians and Jews), and there still is no punishment mentioned... just that it is "better". "Shall not" does not imply punishment no matter how you interpret it.

Plenty will interpret it this way, but the Qur'an trumps all, and there is no punishment for marrying outside of Islam for men or for women. Period.

Well technically it does count, Because it is in the Quran, It's just interpreted differently.

And there is punishment in some places for marrying outside of Islam, lol. She (Meriam Yahia Ibrahim Ishag) is the evidence of this.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
“Do not (you men) marry idolatresses unless they believe; a believing woman is better than a idolatress, even if you like her. Nor shall you (women) marry idolatrous men, unless they believe. A believing man is better than an idolater, even if you like them.” 2:221

So it may not be in the Quran, But it might be cultural and vary from country to country that only men can marry outside Islam, I'm not sure :shrug: Either way.

"Surely, some followers of the previous scriptures do believe in God, and in what was revealed to you (O Muhammad), and in what was revealed to them. They reverence God and they never trade away God"s Revelations for a cheap price. These will receive their recompense from their Lord. God is the most prompt judge." 3:199

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Where it says that woman should be killed if she insisted to marry the disbeliever.

See it in this way

Nor shall you (women) marry idolatrous men, unless they believe and if you did (then you will be stoned to death by the believers)

So there is no punishment and the verse is kind of advice, but those stupid law makers are indeed the one who need to be punished than killing innocent people without justice.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
What I hate about Islam is that no one in their religion has the guts to get up and speak against the idiots that ruins it, they all set back and say nothing while these idiots carry on killing in the name of their God.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
What I hate about Islam is that no one in their religion has the guts to get up and speak against the idiots that ruins it, they all set back and say nothing while these idiots carry on killing in the name of their God.

Better to say "what i hate about Muslims and not Islam"

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well technically it does count, Because it is in the Quran, It's just interpreted differently.

And there is punishment in some places for marrying outside of Islam, lol. She (Meriam Yahia Ibrahim Ishag) is the evidence of this.

LOL just because people do it doesn't mean it's right.

"Surely, some followers of the previous scriptures do believe in God, and in what was revealed to you (O Muhammad), and in what was revealed to them. They reverence God and they never trade away God"s Revelations for a cheap price. These will receive their recompense from their Lord. God is the most prompt judge." 3:199

You know you've dug a deep hole when non-Muslims are quoting the Qur'an.

psychoslice said:

Apparently, you haven't met people like me.

Flankerl

Please don't do that, PM the link instead. :)

Booooring. Lets raid a Forum!
108.gif

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In my opinion, Islam needs reformation, and I think it will eventually see reformation. But I don't think the process will be mostly driven by outsiders, but rather by Muslims themselves. Ideally, outside pressure might help, but I doubt it will be the decisive factor.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In my opinion, Islam needs reformation, and I think it will eventually see reformation. But I don't think the process will be mostly driven by outsiders, but rather by Muslims themselves. Ideally, outside pressure might help, but I doubt it will be the decisive factor.

Agree, and I will take it a step further and say that any reformation *should* come from within, as it will be more likely to survive. Many Muslims already feel like the West is too involved in heir affairs, so any outside attempt to reform Islam will be met with apprehension.

Reformation, in my opinion, should and likely will start with women.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Then why not merely post the above quoted segment?
Because, honestly, I have far more to fear from other Americans than I do terrorists. Yes, there are a few who are bad, and who think they're own personal screwed up interpretation of the world must be killed for, but **** them. Why give them the attention they crave? Instead of cower and say we need to fear them, call those people out for who they are, let them know they are simply unwanted and their ways of cruelty unwelcomed, and leave the rest of the Muslims at peace. I know of several mosques nearby, and guess what? Absolutely no problems. There of course have been problems involving non-Muslims doing nasty things towards Muslims, but definitely no suicide bombings or trying to install Sharia law here.
Or, a better idea yet, we put people in office who don't screw things up in other countries and provoke attacks like those on 9/11. That will probably never happen though.

esmith

Veteran Member

You are probably right. But it is going to require those that do not have a chance at Western education to see the greater good that will allow all followers of Islam to prosper and to work together to better ones own life. I would like to think that the majority of Muslims in the non-Islamic states can see the benefit of embracing some aspect of Western civilization. However, not all aspects of Western civilization can be seen as, using a quaint word, wholesome. There are those within the Western civilization that are not Muslims that see the trend of society as, using a biblical reference, trending toward Sodom and Gomorrah. Also those that need to speak up are, in reality, more worried about their economic conditions than they are about what is occurring that they see as not something they have any control over. Indoctrination, whether it is political, religious, or any other belief has been found to be detrimental to the development of a vibrant society, only by allowing the freedom to explore the various aspect of today's modern world can a society evolve. Will that happen within all areas of the Muslim world? Unfortunately, I do not foresee that happening anytime in the near future. Those that have interpreted any religious tenet to their own ideology will never accept any idea, no manner from whom it originates, that does not agree with them. Now before I am criticized for saying that Western education or society is any better that any other education or society in the developed nations of the world, I was only using the term Western as an example.