• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a UFO in the background?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
madonna.jpg

My idea (no I don't believe my "theory" either) but what if Apollo 21 will be a Light Speed test and they travel to there while the artist was drawing Madonna?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Nah. Its one of those fake joke bugs so people could swat at it.
Precurser to the modern day "bug" crawling about the moniter screen.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
The Crucifixion is the only one I can think of that seems to be more explicit. I'm sure others have their interpretations. There are plenty of other paintings out there that "seem" to depict flying crafts of some sort.......

christ-ufo.jpg

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

So what are your guys opinion on what they are, I personally believe it's not anything too important, probably represents angels or something

Last edited:

Renji

So what are your guys opinion on what they are, I personally believe it's not anything too important, probably represents angels or something

As a Catholic (well the church uses iconography and stuff) , those disc shaped objects depicted on paintings could mean a lot of things. It could symbolize the Grace coming from God (which is on that "disc," which is also, most of the time, just artistic depictions of a cloud), the unity of the 3 divine persons (circles usually signify union) or perhaps "heaven shinning down" on the holy dudes and dudets.

And yeah, some actually turns out to be fake. About the Madonna painting you posted, I'm not really sure if the real painting have that disc shaped object on the back. I've seen that painting on a front cover of a Catholic magazine given to us by our school (which is parochial btw) when I'm in elementary and I can't recall that image on the back of Mary. I'm actually trying to find that magazine now and post it here if I'm able to see it.:p

If it really does have that stuff, then perhaps I'll think about it.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

I think it's premature to doubt the possibility. We just don't have evidence that such sightings actually occurred. I guess it's going to take an actual alien coming to earth and interacting (talking) to man in order to substantiate the claims made by people throughout history. We have these paintings as well as some stories in ancient scripture as well as questionable video of this era but so far nothing concrete.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
About the Madonna painting you posted, I'm not really sure if the real painting have that disc shaped object on the back. I've seen that painting on a front cover of a Catholic magazine given to us by our school (which is parochial btw) when I'm in elementary and I can't recall that image on the back of Mary. I'm actually trying to find that magazine now and post it here if I'm able to see it.:p
Yes, the “UFO” is in the original painting, it’s the Madonna Col Bambino E San Giovannino (Madonna and the Child with the Infant Saint John), a 15th cent. Painting attributed to either Jacopo del Sellaio or Sebastiano Mainardi (some art historians believe the painting bears a remarkable similarity to Lorenzo di Credi’s work as well). Not only do UFOlogists point to this object as a UFO:
Madonnanauts.jpg

… there’s also the nativity star accompanied by three stylized stars in the upper left, a clear reference to the trinity.
stars.jpg

Of course it’s simply a common iconographic representation of the Gospel of St. Luke, 2:9-10: “And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around about them: and they were filled with fear. And the angel said to them, ‘Be not afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy.”

Lorenzo Monaco’s Nativity (1409) depicts a similar angel cloud:
nativity-lorenzo-monaco.jpg

detail.jpg

Bona Sforza's Book of Prayers depicts a cluster of angels in a luminous cloud that is reminiscent of the “UFO” in Madonna and the Child with the Infant Saint John:
14597-bona-sforza-s-book-of-prayers.jpg

detail2.jpg

They’re essentially the artist’s portrayal of the angelic visitation announcing Christ’s birth to the shepherds. The painters used the image of a radiant cloud, an angel or angels emerging from said cloud, often accompanied by beams of light (usually three of course). It’s interesting to note also that the popular image of a radiant cloud was heavily influenced by non-canonical sources as well, particularly the Protogospel account of the Nativity where there is no angel making an appearance but, “…a luminous cloud over-shadowed the cave. And the mid-wife said: ‘My soul has been magnified this day, because mine eyes have seen wondrous things: that salvation has been brought forth to Israel.’ And immediately the cloud disappeared out of the cave, and such a great light shone in the cave that the eyes could not bear it.” The cloud of light instead of an angel was well established by the time 15th cent. painters used the imagery. The convention goes as far back as the Byzantine, one 5th cent. example being Pseudo-Dionysus’s comment, “The Holy Scriptures represent [angels] in the form of clouds to indicate that the holy entities are filled with a hidden light in an above-mundane way.”

The funny thing about attributing UFO imagery to these paintings is that it makes no sense no matter how one looks at it. Painters in the 14th, 15th centuries were not random artists who sat their ***** down and decided to paint something that struck their fancy. They were hire hands, paid to paint a specific image that their employer requested. They didn’t start a commissioned painting and then add whatever details (like UFOs) that struck their fancy; they were employees that painted what they were told to paint.

So no, the artist’s were not portraying any sky-craft, but they were portraying Luke’s announcement of the angel visiting the nativity.

eta: I'm not sure what's going on with RF's images; they won't embed for me but the links are valid.
eeta: Problem solved!

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

As a Catholic (well the church uses iconography and stuff) , those disc shaped objects depicted on paintings could mean a lot of things. It could symbolize the Grace coming from God (which is on that "disc," which is also, most of the time, just artistic depictions of a cloud), the unity of the 3 divine persons (circles usually signify union) or perhaps "heaven shinning down" on the holy dudes and dudets.

And yeah, some actually turns out to be fake. About the Madonna painting you posted, I'm not really sure if the real painting have that disc shaped object on the back. I've seen that painting on a front cover of a Catholic magazine given to us by our school (which is parochial btw) when I'm in elementary and I can't recall that image on the back of Mary. I'm actually trying to find that magazine now and post it here if I'm able to see it.:p

If it really does have that stuff, then perhaps I'll think about it.

That's the real picture, found a few like that without typing anything about UFO's in the search bar.

A

angellous_evangellous

For $50 a piece, I can tell you which galaxy each one is from.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
madonna.jpg

My idea (no I don't believe my "theory" either) but what if Apollo 21 will be a Light Speed test and they travel to there while the artist was drawing Madonna?

It's the flying spaghetti monster. Told you he was real :D