• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a possession ritual?

kriddy

I'm new here, and I'm not sure where this should go. But here goes:

So recently my roommate, a French-speaking girl from Congo, has started to make these very unsettling noises in her room, which I'm thinking may be some animist ritual or trance. Basically, she shuts herself in her room, lights off, and half-cries, half-verbalises, aloud, sometimes for more than an hour. She seems to be moving around: she brushes against the door every now and then, and I can hear thumps too. In case you're wondering, I've ruled out physical exercise (she has a shower right before it starts, sometimes), and, well, I don't think it's anything sexual either (it doesn't sound like that, no moaning or anything like that). It seems to me that she repeats some words, but I can't make them out. It could be a fit (doubtful it'd last for up to 2 hours), or a religious experience.

I could ask her, yep, but I don't want her to feel like I'm intruding, and I'm also kind of spooked out by the possibility that she has no recollection of the events. Is there anyone who understands African animist religions, and/or Voodoo?

Link removed by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

kriddy

Actually, I think this should go in general discussion. Couldn't find a forum for animistic religions.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You don't want her to feel like you're intruding yet you recorded her? I'll grant your code of honor probably differs from my own, but... well... think about your behavior here for a second. :sweat:

Really, asking is the best thing. How you ask is important. "What's up with those unsettling noises you were making last night" is a bad way to ask. "Were you doing a ritual last night? I'm curious about African religion and would love to hear more about it" is a better way to ask.

If you don't want to ask her directly, do some research. Real research. Since you talk about a roommate, I'd put good odds your attending a university, right? Go to your university library, which will have good, reliable, academic references on African traditional religions and the more contemporary syncretic ones. There will probably be a subject librarian that can steer you towards the right resources. Having a bit of a guide will be important here, because there's a lot of unjustified maligning of African religions. Heck, maybe reach out to faculty member in an appropriate department to ask for guidance?

I'm not aware of anyone here who is particularly well-appraised of these traditions. I have a basic knowledge, but I definitely haven't made any study of their ritual framework and practices. From what little I do know of it, it has parallels to my own tradition - rituals in Pagan religions are active and personally engaging as opposed to say, church sermons where you basically just sit there. It's a very different way of doing religion than many Westerners are accustomed to, so they freak out about it. "Possession" is Western-style language with negative connotations - we channel the gods voluntarily while possession implies it is involuntary and dangerous. I don't know if that is or isn't what she was doing (again, very little knowledge of African traditions), but really... I would ask her if she feels comfortable sharing.

kriddy

I know this won't sit well with you, but the recording is anonymous and I recorded her from behind her door. Technically, I haven't made the whole thing any more public than she did in the first place.

Anyway, thanks for the pointers. The little research I've done points to the fact that African religions are multifarious. So to understand this would take quite a bit more than that. I think the faculty member direction might make sense. Or asking her, of course.

I personally have no reservations against any faith, unless it makes hatred or pain an acceptable principle. Personally, I don't have a concept of "possession", and this is mainly a question borne out of curiosity.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

So recently my roommate, a French-speaking girl from Congo, has started to make these very unsettling noises in her room, which I'm thinking may be some animist ritual or trance. Basically, she shuts herself in her room, lights off, and half-cries, half-verbalises, aloud, sometimes for more than an hour. She seems to be moving around: she brushes against the door every now and then, and I can hear thumps too. In case you're wondering, I've ruled out physical exercise (she has a shower right before it starts, sometimes), and, well, I don't think it's anything sexual either (it doesn't sound like that, no moaning or anything like that). It seems to me that she repeats some words, but I can't make them out. It could be a fit (doubtful it'd last for up to 2 hours), or a religious experience.

I could ask her, yep, but I don't want her to feel like I'm intruding, and I'm also kind of spooked out by the possibility that she has no recollection of the events. Is there anyone who understands African animist religions, and/or Voodoo?

Link removed by moderator

Do not take my assumption as true

Sometimes I do similar rituals in act of grieving. Maybe its very personal in that respect. I agree with Quen about recording her and how you ask. To me, its unethical to record anyone and especially with religious practices but not excluding anything non religious. Its overstepping her privacy. Many religions have issues with outsiders knowing their faith. Ask nicely and curiously and dont press the issue.

David1967

Premium Member

Link removed by moderator.

Is she Pentecostal?

Jumi

It could be a fit (doubtful it'd last for up to 2 hours)
If you don't know whether they have a medical condition is it helpful to speculate?

If you must know you could do the right thing and ask them if they are fine, that you say you might have heard someone in pain?

First off, I'm going to just state right now that I am probably pretty insensitive about these sorts of matters. When I see what I figure is a guy who thinks he's dressed like the emperor standing stark naked in the middle of the street, I'm going to be like the kid in the story and call it like I see it. He's naked.

That said, my guess is that this person wants you to ask. She's probably miffed that you haven't asked already. Not saying it isn't some legitimate part of her belief system or some OCD thing she's stuck doing because her mind won't let her rest until she does. If she spends two hours doing it, you can be pretty sure she's compelled by something to get this done. But at the same time, to go so over the top as you describe it, it also seems like a nice chunk of showmanship on her part. She isn't trying to hide it... at all. So you simply can't be expected to hide your curiosity (or concern) about it. She's letting it all hang out there... even with the door closed. If she needed absolute privacy, she'd make sure she had it. If she gets upset with you over any amount of curiosity you have in trying to be open about it (as open about it as she is obviously being) then she's not worth many other words outside of that in my opinion.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yes, ask in a friendly, concerned way. Like, "I often hear these sounds and noise like you are bumping into the wall. Just wanted to make sure you are ok and if there wasn't something I could help you with".

I wouldn't be aggressive or confrontational though. Don't want them putting a hex on you.:eek: