• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This A Lie?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Say person a asks person b where he is going. Person b replies "the shop" but has no intention of going to the shop and instead is planning a visit to a friend. However, on his way to see his friend he does indeed change his mind and go to the shop.

Did person b lie?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Say person a asks person b where he is going. Person b replies "the shop" but has no intention of going to the shop and instead is planning a visit to a friend. However, on his way to see his friend he does indeed change his mind and go to the shop.

Did person b lie?
lie to him self, but to please that person b ,he/she fix that.

for me it's lie if he did not go. (result).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
But what was the result ?

Fair point here, yes? There is wisdom in paying more heed to results over intentions. A couple reasons for this, I think. First, we can't really know what an organism intends, and if the organism is able to communicate that to us, all we have to go on is their word. We can't prove what they intended one way or another - at least not unless we develop some sort of mind probe to yank it out of someone's gray matter. Second, there is much to the notion that it is results that matter, not intentions; that the tangible manifestation of a supposed intention is what has the real power. Put another way, actions speak louder than thoughts or words.

On the other hand, if you follow a system of ethics grounded in virtue, just looking at results isn't sufficient. Someone following virtue-based ethics aims to cultivate a particular sort of character, and someone who lies about what they intend to do is cultivating a dishonest type of character regardless of whether or not they changed their mind later. Whether or not the other person knows you were lying, you may have done shame upon your own honor and character.

Skwim

Veteran Member
But what was the result ?
It doesn't matter. As Rick O'Shez said, it depends on the intent. From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Definition of lie
intransitive verb

1 : to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive

2 : to create a false or misleading impression
Note that there is nothing about any result---I invite you to check it out

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Fair point here, yes? There is wisdom in paying more heed to results over intentions. A couple reasons for this, I think. First, we can't really know what an organism intends, and if the organism is able to communicate that to us, all we have to go on is their word. We can't prove what they intended one way or another - at least not unless we develop some sort of mind probe to yank it out of someone's gray matter. Second, there is much to the notion that it is results that matter, not intentions; that the tangible manifestation of a supposed intention is what has the real power. Put another way, actions speak louder than thoughts or words.
And, of course, knowing or not knowing that a statement is a lie doesn't affect its status as a lie. Lies stand and fall on intention.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
And, of course, knowing or not knowing that a statement is a lie doesn't affect its status as a lie. Lies stand and fall on intention.
It's like I wanted to lie to you, but I change my mind at final moment.

so result is I telling the truth :D

Godobeyer

Premium Member
My point is why negative intentions (since it's between him-self) are important since the result is become positive.

Skwim

Veteran Member

But we aren't talking about changing one's mind at the final moment and not telling the lie. We're talking about telling the lie.

Skwim

Veteran Member
My point is why negative intentions (since it's between him-self) are important since the result is become positive.
It doesn't necessarily need to be a "negative" intention at all. Untrue statements told so as to benefit others are still lies. Sometimes they're referred to as "white lies."

Godobeyer

Premium Member
But we aren't talking about changing one's mind at the final moment and not telling the lie. We're talking about telling the lie.

it's not far.
between me and my self it's a lie.

I lie to you then I fix that to please you.
but between me and him it's not lie.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't matter. As Rick O'Shez said, it depends on the intent. From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Definition of lie
intransitive verb

1 : to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive

2 : to create a false or misleading impression
Note that there is nothing about any result---I invite you to check it out

#2 implies you can lie without deceitful intent by repeating incorrect information.

Skwim

Veteran Member
#2 implies you can lie without deceitful intent by repeating incorrect information.
So it would appear, but do you honestly think this is what they intended, or was their intention more along the lines of a briefer way of saying "to create a false or misleading impression to deceive" ?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Indeed. But that is not all that similar to the situation described at the OP.

You are describing a situation of changing one's mind before the message is actually given. There was repentance before a factual mistake was made.

The OP describes a situation where the lie is completed, and then fixed after the fact.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Did person b lie?
Nope.

Mission accomplished in a backward way.

Haven't gone to friends first.

Worth pondering.

Is there any expiration or condition for something to become a lie?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Did person b lie?
Yep, he lied!