• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is There Truth?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do you believe the truth exists and is available to those seeking for it? Are people afraid of the truth?
As Jeremiahcp said, if there is no truth, then that itself is the truth. A Scotsman, as they say.

Truth is readily available as Lirille said, only that people do not accept it. However, Lirille, it can be taught, or even reached through intellect, though I agree that is not the only way to it.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
It seems to me that many RF posters believe there is no ultimate truth; or if there is, we cannot get to know it. IMO, Jesus Christ believed truth was attainable. He famously said: "you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:32)
Do you believe the truth exists and is available to those seeking for it? Are people afraid of the truth?

It depends on what definition you want to use. The Bible itself is truth to many. Science is truth to many others. I suggest Sam Harris vs Jordan Peterson debate in which basically they debated the definition of what truth is. That was not the original topic of the video, they just spent 2 hours debating the terms of their engagement basically, in which the got hung up on just the definitin of truth for about 1.5 hours.

Kapalika

Premium Member
If you want to get super technical in the most absolute sense, the only truth that can really be universally agreed upon is that "something exists to the point where the question can even be asked."

It gets so nuanced and tricky after that that the vast majority of people wouldn't be able to follow, least of all with intellectual honesty and without bias.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It seems to me that many RF posters believe there is no ultimate truth; or if there is, we cannot get to know it. IMO, Jesus Christ believed truth was attainable. He famously said: "you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:32)

There is some truth in G-John, but not much.
I often wonder why Christians cling to G-John, Paul's letters, and those other letters.
Christians like comfy truth, but they shy away from hard, cold, facts, imo.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Amazing how a second hand hearsay account, written decades after the apparent death of Jesus, has a direct quote that is trustworthy.

Heere's a direct quote from me, Kuzcotopia:

"One night soon, you will see what is unseen, and that sight will cause you to know what is to be understood as what you saw." (Kuzcotopia 1:1)

I wouldn't trust this quote from Kuz though. It's overgeneralized nonesense.

And it was said because it was said thus said-iti oi

You can take that yellow hat and shove it right up your.....

Curious George

Lirille

However, Lirille, it can be taught, or even reached through intellect, though I agree that is not the only way to it.
Well, it can be taught, but personally I believe that what you learn through intellect is not enough to really know the Truth. It's like reading a music sheet and listening to music. To really understand, you need both.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Jesus said the truth will set you free, but didn't say when or how long it would take. Jesus said "I am the truth" and will "set you free from sin" and in the similitude of how the Lord led the Israelites out of Egypt and to the promised land, setting them free from slavery (the slavery of sin), Jesus will lead you out of the slavery of this world and into the promised land. But as I gather, the full realization of freedom and complete knowledge of truth is not realized until after the resurrection.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Its a quote from the gospel of John. You start out being unreal and then become more real as you live your life in the spirit. The real part is the eternal part, and but the rest cannot remain. That is, as you convert, spending your time and thoughts on spiritual rather than nonspiritual things, you become the Logos, your old self no longer existing. Your life is in Christ then, and you have been resurrected. You have denied yourself. You have been saved from your sins, raised from the dead and become a son of God. I have expressed this in other threads. Its my opinion about John and a pretty good opinion I think.

omega2xx

Of course there is truth to be found. Science does it every day. There is literal truth and there is spiritual truth, which does set us free spiritually.

The Bible says it can be found easily.

Mt 7:7-8 - Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you. For everyone who ask, receives, and he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks it will be opened.

The verbs in those verse indicate continuing to ask, seek and knock.

IMO some are afraid the truths taught in the Bible are true.

RESOLUTION

Christ spoke about Gods Truth and his place in the existence and lives of mankind. People are afraid of what they don't know more than what they do know. So I would think people are afraid of what could be if no God or if there is a God. They are afraid of getting it wrong. They also fear the unknown future.

Christ, revealed a fascinating TRUTH... God loves everyone. Gods love if obeyed hurts no one. But he revealed a plan and meaning for everyones life.
It is something mankind has to seek as individuals and in honesty.

capumetu

While Jesus was praying to his God Jehovah, he said Your word is truth. Yes the Bible is God's inspired word a gift to us. Interested in learning more?
e me at:

capumetu @yours.com

no space after u

Tabu

BrahmaKumaris believe that the first truth is the knowledge of the self - to know the true form of the self . To know that " I am a Soul and God is my Father " , and with the certainty of this truth one achieves greatness.
By having received the true introduction of the true Father, and the power of having a right to His inheritance, we saw with authority , that the Father belongs to us and we belong to Him.
Because of this, we give the true introduction of the creation and the world cycle with this authority. We also tell others that this world cycle is going to end and that it will then repeat once again.
We say that it is now the confluence age, not the iron age. Even if all the scholars and pundits of the world believe, as it says in the scriptures, that it is now the iron age, we challenge them and tell them that it is not the iron age, but the confluence age.
We do this with the power of truth that has been given by the true Father, the true Teacher and the Satguru. We experience this to be the truth.

There are two meanings to the word “truth”. One truth is the truth and the other truth means that which is imperishable. Therefore, the Father is the Truth and He is also the Immortal One.
This is why the introduction we have been given by the Father is that He is the Truth, that is, He is the true Immortal One. Devotees sing praise of God as being “The Truth, the Benefactor and the Beautiful One”. They believe Him to be the Truth and the Immortal One. People also believe that God is Truth.
So we have been given the authority of truth by the Father. We have also been given this inheritance. There is a saying in Sindhi, “When there is truth, the soul dances.” There is also another saying, “The boat of truth may rock, but it cannot sink.”
The power of truth makes the whole of nature satopradhan ( completely pure ). It changes this age into the age of truth (satyug). It makes all souls attain the fortune of their salvation

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
As near as I can tell, the people who don't believe in truth are taking words and thoughts to be truth. I believe in truth, though don't ask me to define it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
People always ask what truth is even when truth presents things as plainly as it is day or night.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

yes, simply the golden rule.

newton's third law of thermodynamics, for every action there is an opposite but equal reaction, or from ecclesiastes' "cast your bread upon the waters after many days it will return to you".

A Vestigial Mote

I believe there are "truths" to be found all around us, at all times - many people just find them all too mundane and depressing to accept - so they make up their own "truth" to help compensate and make the world more palatable for themselves.

However, to assume there is some "ultimate truth" to be discovered - while a romantic notion - is foolish to my thinking.

soma

John Kuykendall
I believe truth is found in the moment. The consciousness of Divinity becomes our awareness in the moment, not to be retrieved and brought into being in the future because it is with us right now. This reality can’t be contacted through past experiences, previous knowledge or doing your best because it comes by just being in the constantly shifting moment containing truth in an unconditional reality, a state of grace. This way of living is in harmony with truth applied appropriately and relevantly to the situation at hand without rules, regulations or a rigid dogma. When we are attentive, not mourning the past or future we conquer anxiety with contentment and are mindful of the present joy and happiness.