• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there such thing as a seeker?

Muffled

Jesus in me
The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.” From The Path of Daggers - Wheel of Time series.

I have seen a true Seeker make a king quake in his boots with the asking of a single question.
―Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander - The Sword of Truth series.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
A novice knows little, so must accept much in order to improve. An expert became an expert by accepting much, and almost certainly must continue to accept much.

Some believe that they know all, and that if they don't know something it is because it doesn't exist.

The mayor of Athens called Socrates an idiot. Socrates replied that he knows more than the mayor because he knows that he (Socrates) is an idiot, while the mayor does not know that he (mayor) is an idiot. Socrates believed that wisdom could be obtained by discussion. Apparently even Socrates continued to learn.

Hmm. Do you think it's wise to different one learn from another only based on what he knows? (Assuming knowledge in this case is wisdom rather than, say, medical science)

Earthtank

Sarcasm?

Explain. I'm not getting what your message.

Yes it's sarcasm because your question of being an expert and novice at the same time contradicts itself. I honestly often think that people here don't even think about what they post. They simply post stuff to try and sound smart but, had they taken a moment to think out loud or even ask that question out loud they would realize how foolish it sounds and 1) not ask it and 2) by hearing how ridiculous they sound they will actually find the answer

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes it's sarcasm because your question of being an expert and novice at the same time contradicts itself. I honestly often think that people here don't even think about what they post. They simply post stuff to try and sound smart but, had they taken a moment to think out loud or even ask that question out loud they would realize how foolish it sounds and 1) not ask it and 2) by hearing how ridiculous they sound they will actually find the answer

Read the full post-the Zen quotes too. The context is religious in nature:

To all those who have a faith and grounded in it, do you believe you are still a seeker just as someone who is trying to find their religion or spiritual practice or do you not agree that to have a "Zen" mind one needs to have a beginner's mind also?

If you don't get it, that's one thing. Ask for clarification.

Sarcasm isn't needed to make a point.

Bird123

There are a few well-known quotes I've read awhile back from the book Zen Mind Beginner's Mind about spirituality (in this case Dharmic practice) and being in the state of a beginner's mind:

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”

“The true purpose [of Zen] is to see things as they are, to observe things as they are, and to let everything go as it goes... Zen practice is to open up our small mind.”

“The goal of practice is always to keep our beginner’s mind.”

and so forth.

To all those who have a faith and grounded in it, do you believe you are still a seeker just as someone who is trying to find their religion or spiritual practice or do you not agree that to have a "Zen" mind one needs to have a beginner's mind also?

Can one be an expert and a novice at the same time?

What is the first thing a wise person realizes once they truly become wise? Anybody??? Anybody??
The first thing a wise person realizes once they truly become wise is that there is so much more to learn!!!

I Will always be a Hungry student!!

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Straw Dog

Within the context of Zen, there’s no such thing as a ‘thing’, at least within isolation.

To be a beginner means to experience every moment as if it were an original experience. Even within a familiar experience or expertise, look for the novelty within a situation or skill execution. Nothing is quite the same as our minds might have us believe out of habit.

I’m interpreting in a pragmatic way. The Zen Buddhist experience is probably deeper. It’s like being born again in every moment.