• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there such a thing as Sin?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does sin exist? Why or why not?

Please note: "Sin" in this context means a behavior (or lack of behavior) that offends a deity.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
If there is, no sin is too great to be repented. God wants us to be on track, so putting us in a hell-pit isn't gonna fix that. I personally don't believe so. Compared to God, our doings are very minuscule. But he looks on, smiling, like a mother finding his son stealing a cookie jar.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Please note: "Sin" in this context means a behavior (or lack of behavior) that offends a deity.

I think your Definition of sin is wrong.

Sin is doing something even though you know it to be a wrong action. How you know it to be wrong and is this wrong universal is what you really wish to discuss.

allfoak

Alchemist
The idea of some deity getting offended by something i did is hilarious.

4017016-9193653053-Angry.jpg

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Sin is doing something even though you know it to be a wrong action. How you know it to be wrong and is this wrong universal is what you really wish to discuss.
Who declares what is and is not a sin?
God, right?
Now seeing as there are all manner of proposed gods, and said gods have different things they declare sin....

Personally, i prefer the definition:
Going against the will/wishes of your chosen deity.​

Tomorrows_Child

Who declares what is and is not a sin?
God, right?
Now seeing as there are all manner of proposed gods, and said gods have different things they declare sin....

Personally, i prefer the definition:
Going against the will/wishes of your chosen deity.

Probably a better definition because as a Muslim, sin isn't just what we do to " offend God" as the OP put it but what we do to offend other people i.e. lie, cheat, steal, abuse etc.

aoji

Separate "natural" from "unnatural". "If" God lives inside everything, every human being, then sinning against God is also sinning against others. So, if one offends another being one also is offending God. Sin is doing evil to an innocent or one that cannot fight back. Mahavira would sweep insects out of his path least he kill one inadvertently (Ahimsa).

Culture and society decide (codified into laws) what is sinful, and parents are instructed to raise their children accordingly. The easiest law to understand is "an eye for an eye," meaning that if you harm another, another will harm you to the same extent; you caused pain, pain will be inflicted upon you so that you learn not to do it to others. The tree of Life gave consciousness to all and the Tree of Good and Evil gave self awareness of one's actions so that ignorance could not be plead when one sins - at the moment an act is done one inherently knows whether or not it is evil, and knowing that it is evil is sinning. We all know our own minds, we all know whether we are either good or evil. And we all judge ourselves upon death as we travel through the 4 bardos. And, please, don't argue the fact - as we die we all have regrets and those regrets are nothing but judgments. We may say to others that we have no regrets but as we die our minds will regret all the missed opportunities, it will reflect on wasting our lives, it will regret the pains we caused others, and we will recall those we loved.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I have no deities so I am incapable of sinning. ;)
Based upon the definition you quoted, it matters not if you claim a deity, anything and everything you do that offends any of the hundreds (or is it thousands?) of proposed deities is a sin....

Town Heretic

Temporarily out of order

Then you can't be speaking to or inquiring of Christians, because our belief is that sin encompasses both action and thought, that the latter often is the root of the former. Else, it's context. Sin, in Christian parlance, is an act or thought in opposition to the will of God.

Personally, I think if there were a god, that god would be "big enough" not to be offended by things we do or don't do. And if that god were not "big enough", then I would not call it a god.
From my context it's not about offending His sensibilities. It's about service and consequence, choosing corruption or the good. And when I speak to consequence I'm not simply speaking to punishment from God or separation of the imperfect and corrupt from the incorruptible and holy, I'm speaking to the consequence that sin brings into us, how the invitation to that corruption can and will continue to shape us, move us and harm us...and through us, shape and harm others either as a direct consequence of the act or the less direct influence of the act or consideration of it.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I presume it must be news to you that there can be more than one definition of a word, Bob. You really ought to open a dictionary sometime. You'll see most words have more than one meaning.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
The goal of life in the mind of this pantheist is the Self-Realization that all is one consciousness. Love leads us towards that. Sin is selfish thoughts and behaviors that take one further from that goal.