• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there only one pacifist religion?

danieldemol

Premium Member
For me a number of religions or sects seem pacifist.

Like Falungong, quakers, jehovahs witnesses. Then there are followers of Ghandi, an unknown number of pacifist Buddhist sects, seventh day Adventists.

So are more than one of the above sects or any not mentioned above pacifist?

Is it honest to claim that only one sect is pacifist?

Is it correct in your opinion to say pacifism is the solution to war?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Like Falungong, quakers, jehovahs witnesses. Then there are followers of Ghandi, an unknown number of pacifist Buddhist sects, seventh day Adventists.

You’ll be aware of the Baha’i position of making use of conscientious objection in the first instance or request a non-combative role. However Baha’is are ultimately obliged to fight in war in the government orders it. That is the prerogative of governments to legally enforce its members into a combative role and an obligation upon its citizens to step up.

Pacifism can be a solution in some instances. In other instances it allows a tyrannical nation or group to seize control.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

What do you mean by pacifist?

JW's and SDA's are pacifist in the real world but in their beliefs they still think that it is OK to kill someone if God says so. So for instance, the JW's believe that Jesus and the anointed will arrive at Armageddon and kill all those who oppose the true God and they support that. Some even look forward to that day. Then there is their support for the old testament and the killings there which they say were morally correct.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Every religion has some form of teaching about killing is a wrong action to do for human beings, so in that all religions have aspect of pasifism.

But it is up to each person to become so aware of what killing actually is, that they will say no to killing. That is the moment one become a pasifist, to delve so deep in to the spiritual practices and lifestyle that no matter what happens, killing is not choice one will make.

A pasifist may take part in helping those who are wounded in combat or civilians, but refuse to take up weapon.

Isn't it?

joe1776

Conscience, our moral intuition, allows that there's nothing wrong with killing in self-defense. This position is well-aligned with the survival of our species since, if all the good guys were pacifists, the bad guys would oppress and dominate the planet. There would be no one to stop the power-mad dictators of the world.

A 1939 era German soldier whose country was led by Adolf Hitler would have faced a moral dilemma because conscience does not inform us that it's okay to kill if we're simply following the orders of someone in authority. The judgments at Nuremberg were correct about that.

I have no religion, but if a Creator exists, and I do allow that possibility, conscience (moral intuition) is its moral guide. I think we should follow it.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm not sure that there is a "solution" to war. It seems to be an intrinsic aspect of what makes us human. Chimpanzees (also) carry out premeditated organised group attacks so it is not unique to humans. Thankfully chimpanzees don't have nuclear weapons. Yet.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

The Doukhobors, a Russian Chrisian sect, were known for pacifism. Their food is amazing. (vegetarian)Many emigrated to western Canada about 100 years ago.

Doukhobors - Wikipedia

Any individual can be pacifist.

nPeace

Veteran Member

I'm like you... clueless. :D

I don't think so.

Hmmm. Is opposition to war a solution to war? No.
I see the kingdom of God under the reign of Christ, as the only solution to war.

For me Christianity (being a disciple of Jesus) is pacifistic, because Jesus told that people should not revenge or do anything violent. And I think it is the only way to end war. War does not end by war.

nPeace

Veteran Member
For me Christianity (being a disciple of Jesus) is pacifistic, because Jesus told that people should not revenge or do anything violent. And I think it is the only way to end war. War does not end by war.
At least not by humans. Revelation 16:14 ;)

Wandering Monk

Jainists

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

It occurred to me a while back that the Quakers - and certain other groups - aren't actually pacifist, IMO.

To me, pacifism involves the rejection of violence... but some groups (e.g. the Quakers) don't actually reject violence altogether; they just believe that violence is reserved for God.

These groups are generally fine with violence as long as it's perpetrated by God.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Yes. It's sad that Christians tend to be pro-war, against Jesus' teachings.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Like religion, I dont perceive a one true pacifism. ;0]