• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there help for?

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
I have a question that I think about often and I wanted to see what people thought. My husband of 16 years is a sociopath in almost every sense of the word. I finally left for good with my 12 yr old son because it was so bad. Is there help or hope for him? Please tell me what you think in and of itself, and then tell me what you think when you put your religion/faith in the mix.

joe1776

As I understand it, for most psychological problems, there are two options psychotherapy (talk therapy) and drugs. I have not heard of any drug therapy for sociopaths but I am not well-informed on the topic.

As for psychotherapy, there are its proponents, usually people who are profiting from supplying it, and opponents who say that the only people cured are done so by the placebo effect. Both sides claim ample scientific research to support their position.

Since I don't have a religious faith myself, I can't offer very much on the topic. However, the placebo effect is very powerful. If we expect something to happen to our minds and body, there's a good chance it will.

So, for example, if your husband is a Christian, and believes in the power of prayer, he might be convinced that people are praying for him to take Jesus into his heart. I don't know. That's the best I can offer.

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
As I understand it, for most psychological problems, there are two options psychotherapy (talk therapy) and drugs. I have not heard of any drug therapy for sociopaths but I am not well-informed on the topic.

As for psychotherapy, there are its proponents, usually people who are profiting from supplying it, and opponents who say that the only people cured are done so by the placebo effect. Both sides claim ample scientific research to support their position.

Since I don't have a religious faith myself, I can't offer very much on the topic. However, the placebo effect is very powerful. If we expect something to happen to our minds and body, there's a good chance it will.

So, for example, if your husband is a Christian, and believes in the power of prayer, he might be convinced that people are praying for him to take Jesus into his heart. I don't know. That's the best I can offer.

Thanks for your input.