• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there evidence that Humans and bananas share a common ancestor?

leroy

Even though I was a YEC during my late teens and early 20s, I now accept evolution (common ancestry) as an almost certain fact.

The evidence that we share a common ancestor with Chimps and other primates is strong enough to convince me

¿But where is the evidence for universal common ancestor?

We obviously don’t share orthologs ERVs with bannanas, nor we share orthologs genetic markers, nor we can use any of the “phylogenetic arguments”that work with humans and chimps because bananas are so distantly related that the evidence is not expected to be there

So where is the evidence?

Well I personally simply use a philosophical argument to support that claim, namely “Okams Razor” given that we share a common ancestor with chimps it seems parsimonious that we share a common ancestor with other organisms too…………….but I am wondering if apart from this philosophical argument (which is good enough for me) there is some other scientific evidnece that shows that we share a common ancestor with bannanas

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes.

Even though I was a YEC during my late teens and early 20s, I now accept evolution (common ancestry) as an almost certain fact.

The evidence that we share a common ancestor with Chimps and other primates is strong enough to convince me

We obviously don’t share orthologs ERVs with bannanas, nor we share orthologs genetic markers, nor we can use any of the “phylogenetic arguments”that work with humans and chimps because bananas are so distantly related that the evidence is not expected to be there

Well I personally simply use a philosophical argument to support that claim, namely “Okams Razor” given that we share a common ancestor with chimps it seems parsimonious that we share a common ancestor with other organisms too…………….but I am wondering if apart from this philosophical argument (which is good enough for me) there is some other scientific evidnece that shows that we share a common ancestor with bannanas
One basic piece of evidence for a common origin for all life on Earth is the chirality of DNA.

Chemically, DNA's helix can go in either direction. If multiple existing lineages weren't related at all, we would expect to see a mix of chirality. The fact that all life has DNA with the same chirality indicates a common source.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Human cells and banana cells do. I think saying humans and bananas have a common ancestor is technically accurate but confusing. The cells of a human and the cells of a banana appear to have a common ancestor, yes; but the same momma didn't give birth to a banana and a human.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Thanks to cladistics and the genome, it's now official.

Twilight Hue

Human cells and banana cells do. I think saying humans and bananas have a common ancestor is technically accurate but confusing. The cells of a human and the cells of a banana appear to have a common ancestor, yes; but the same momma didn't give birth to a banana and a human.
However a human who is bananas is a different story. *grin*

leroy

Yes.

One basuc piece of evidence for a common origin for all life on Earth is the chirality of DNA.

Chemically, DNA's helix can go in either direction. If multiple existing lineages weren't related at all, we would expect to see a mix of chirality. The fact that all life has DNA with the same chirality indicates a common source.
Yes that is convincing enough....and I see how same design = same designer argument would fail

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
However a human who is bananas is a different story. *grin*
What really is frightening is that one could splice human DNA to make a very unhappy creature, more unhappy than humans already are. Its becoming easier and easier for anyone to do it. You literally could combine banana and human. They are different enough that the result would not live long, but they are similar enough that it might live too long. I'm not so sure I like that DNA is real.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There's residual banana DNA in the human genome.
Some infants are occasionally born with banana skin,
from which they emerge.
OIP.W8eXzlzO5xf1hk_L13FTGAHaHa

Twilight Hue

What really is frightening is that one could splice human DNA to make a very unhappy creature, more unhappy than humans already are. Its becoming easier and easier for anyone to do it. You literally could combine banana and human. They are different enough that the result would not live long, but they are similar enough that it might live too long. I'm not so sure I like that DNA is real.
Kind of reminds me of The Fly with Jeff Goldblum.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Kind of reminds me of The Fly with Jeff Goldblum.
I didn't see that but saw Jurassic Park. That film was also about DNA and trying to resurrect dinosaur species from amber fossils. To complete missing stretches of DNA they had their (I assume graduate student) employees patch the DNA with amphibean DNA. This carelessness resulted in a bananza of dangerous, uncontrollable and plot-worthy dinosaurs.

Bear Wild

You know the answer is yes if you have been following any of the treads about evolution so why ask. You have participated, You have been already give the evidence.

Orthologs are genes in different species evolved from a common ancestral gene. Paralogs are gene copies created by a duplication event within the same genome.

While orthologous genes kept the same function, paralogous genes often develop different functions due to missing selective pressure on one copy of the duplicated gene.

And yes we do share orthologs with plants. Now if you are specifically talking about retroviral introductions to a genome the that can happen at any time and has nothing to do with primal relatedness. Some humans have the EBV virus genes in them and other don't. Is one humans and the other not?????

Mitochondrial dna - there is a core set of genes shared by all eukaryotes (plants and animal). Case solved.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

DNA

Tree of life SVG - Phylogenetic tree - Wikipedia

Etritonakin

Technically, all physical life became possible as the elements were formed.
It is their ability to interact in specific ways which lends itself to their eventually becoming arranged as DNA, self-replication thereof, encoding, etc.

All life is not likely even descended from one single strand of DNA, but DNA would first develop into quite similar things at first -which became more diverse as they became more complex.

Even as far as creation of life is concerned, God causing the elements to exist would have been an early stage -part of creating "the heavens". Creating the Earth would be creating a localized, element-rich, active environment conducive to DNA formation, etc.
They allow for life to then develop/self-assemble and adapt as it will based on circumstance -but that development can also be tweaked at any point by further creative activity.

If you take the Y from YEC -and realize the events in Genesis describe something that happened after the Earth HAD BECOME waste and ruin to an unspecified degree (check the definitions), there is no conflict with the scientifically-determined age of the Earth, the fossil record, etc.

Last edited: