• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there anything in the bible that would imply God loves satan?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's funny how the Bible just about omits everything Satan does. It makes me wonder if there is a testament of Satan or a testament of Lucifer.

If you ask me to compare God and Satan in the Bible as it is written, it's a hands-down winner based on character and action Satan comes across as actually being the good guy.

Neuropteron

Is there anything in the bible that implys God loves satan?

God will seize (Satan) hurle him into the abyss shut it and seal it over him....(Rev 20:1..)

These and similar scriptures are indication of God's feeling for Satan.
To answer your question none can be found expressing love for him.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

The book of Job presents Satan as being a counsellor to God. God and Satan appear to converse in a very civil manner and God allows Satan to test His beloved and faithful servant Job.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you look in Job 1:6+ you'll see that Satan is one of the 'sons of God', the courtiers at Yahweh's court as it were. He's an honest counselor in that he says what he thinks; and he thinks Job's piety is no deeper than the benefits he thinks he gets from God. So God and Satan enter into a bet and you know the rest. (God's ethics in so doing are appalling, but that's another story.)

There's no need for Satan to be evil. Since around 500 BCE when Yahweh becomes a monogod, there can be no other source of evil than him, as he says:

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light and create darkness; I make peace and create evil; I the Lord do all these things.​

(And note 1 Samuel 16:14 and Amos 3:6 as well.)

However, as the Zoroastrians knew, and Milton showed in Paradise Lost, and Tolkien and Rowling underlined in red ink, and as TV demonstrates night and day with its endless supply of serial killers, world leader assassins and atom bombers, you can't have a drama with only one point of view. You need Good against Evil, White against Black, to tell a story. What's Beowulf without Grendel, Arthur without Mordred, Holmes without Moriarty? Not so relevant, right?

So Satan has been quietly shifted from being the honest counselor putting the alternative view or conducting the prosecution of various defendants which may include the hero, into arch-villain, goat-horned, caped, and dressed in red and black. Much more successful, much more interesting. Are you not entertained?

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

In the Book of Job they clearly have a friendly relationship. Satan is trying to prove a point to God.
In the new testament, Satan is only a tempter there is no hatred between the two.
Throughout the bible there is nothing that states God hates Satan or Does not love Satan.

Only in the New Testament the book of revelations is Satan hated so much God destroys him. The Book of revelations is not really coherent enough to understand fully.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If you look in Job 1:6+ you'll see that Satan is one of the 'sons of God', the courtiers at Yahweh's court as it were. He's an honest counselor in that he says what he thinks; and he thinks Job's piety is no deeper than the benefits he thinks he gets from God. So God and Satan enter into a bet and you know the rest. (God's ethics in so doing are appalling, but that's another story.)

There's no need for Satan to be evil. Since around 500 BCE when Yahweh becomes a monogod, there can be no other source of evil than him, as he says:

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light and create darkness; I make peace and create evil; I the Lord do all these things.​

(And note 1 Samuel 16:14 and Amos 3:6 as well.)

However, as the Zoroastrians knew, and Milton showed in Paradise Lost, and Tolkien and Rowling underlined in red ink, and as TV demonstrates night and day with its endless supply of serial killers, world leader assassins and atom bombers, you can't have a drama with only point of view. You need Good against Evil, White against Black, to tell a story. What's Beowulf without Grendel, Arthur without Mordred, Holmes without Moriarty? Not so relevant, right?

So Satan has been quietly shifted from being the honest counselor putting the alternative view or conducting the prosecution of various defendants which may include the hero, into arch-villain, goat-horned, caped, and dressed in red and black. Much more successful, much more interested. Are you not entertained?

He should add that to his official title, for when he introduces himself at parties.

Hello, I'm Satan, Son of the Morning, Father of Lies, Deceiver, Angel of the Abyss, Eternal Narrative Plot Device. Nice to meet you.

MonkeyFire

It's in my guesstimation that God can do anything by loving, and hell burns as He doesn't lift a finger. The epistle of Jude says Michael respects Satan but still rebukes him.

Ellen Brown

Um, well, satan and Jesus are brothers, for what that is worth. As a parent, I love both the obedient and the disobedient one. I don't have an argument with God giving satan several chances to redeem himself. Eventually, he is supposed to burn in the fires of Hell.

I guess the Bible does tell the future ???

The chr-stian concept of “the devil” does not exist within Judaism, and in fact the very idea of such a character is a forbidden foreign religious belief – aka idolatry – aka pagan.

There is no person, character or entity named “Satan” anywhere in the Hebrew Scriptures, because there is no name “Satan” in the Hebrew language.

In the fable of Job there is a character called – הַשָׂטָן – hasatanthe opponent; the accuser. The Noun – שָׂטָן – satan simply means opponent or accuser; It is not a proper noun. The Verb – שָׂטַן – satan means to oppose; to accuse.

In a vision of Zechariah found at 3:1-2 there is also a character called hasatan, except in this case it is clearly identified as a prosecuting attorney in a heavenly court scene – aka the accuser.

The fable of Job and the vision of Zechariah are not real events. The story of Job was told to the Children of Israel during their 40 years in the wilderness in an attempt to get them to stop whining and crying about how bad their punishment was.

The vision in Zachariah was nothing more than that – a vision – a dream – a hallucination. The High Priest Y’hoshua never went to heaven for a court trial, it was a vision, it was not real.

Considering that these are the only places “the accuser” is ever mentioned, it is only logical to conclude that hasatanthe accuser is nothing more than a metaphor for the yétzer hara, or evil inclination.

I honestly have no idea where chr-stians came up with their “devil” character, but nothing even remotely close exists within Judaism.

Ellen Brown

The chr-stian concept of “the devil” does not exist within Judaism, and in fact the very idea of such a character is a forbidden foreign religious belief – aka idolatry – aka pagan.

There is no person, character or entity named “Satan” anywhere in the Hebrew Scriptures, because there is no name “Satan” in the Hebrew language.

In the fable of Job there is a character called – הַשָׂטָן – hasatanthe opponent; the accuser. The Noun – שָׂטָן – satan simply means opponent or accuser; It is not a proper noun. The Verb – שָׂטַן – satan means to oppose; to accuse.

In a vision of Zechariah found at 3:1-2 there is also a character called hasatan, except in this case it is clearly identified as a prosecuting attorney in a heavenly court scene – aka the accuser.

The fable of Job and the vision of Zechariah are not real events. The story of Job was told to the Children of Israel during their 40 years in the wilderness in an attempt to get them to stop whining and crying about how bad their punishment was.

The vision in Zachariah was nothing more than that – a vision – a dream – a hallucination. The High Priest Y’hoshua never went to heaven for a court trial, it was a vision, it was not real.

Considering that these are the only places “the accuser” is ever mentioned, it is only logical to conclude that hasatanthe accuser is nothing more than a metaphor for the yétzer hara, or evil inclination.

I honestly have no idea where chr-stians came up with their “devil” character, but nothing even remotely close exists within Judaism.

Shalom.

Thank you for participating in this discussion.