• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any scriptural reference for Krishna being Black?

Chakra

Premium Member
Oh, he's black alright. :D

I'll give you the references soon. AFAIK, it is mentioned in Bhagavata Purana. Also, many saints have called him black (syama). But I will give you the references.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
While I can't offer a specific scriptural reference some of the confusion over Krishna's skin tone comes from a difference in interpretation (I think). I have heard him described as dark like a "storm cloud", or black as a lotus, or even blue as a lotus. (Neither of which I've ever seen -time for a google search!)

:camp:

Stormcry

In Mahabharata, Shri Krishna is described as green as well.... :) He's green color and that's why he is called as 'Hari'...

Stormcry

Krishna is most believed to be dark and scriptures too say the same.

Scriptural Reference:

In 1st canto of Bhagavata Purana Bhisma praises krishna at the time of death - " त्रिभवनकमनं तमालवर्णं कृष्णं "

In Sanskrit,Tamal means -

1) Dark barked of Tamala-Indian-tree or

2) Dark Tobacco

So he's dark like tobacco ....You should have seen the dark cloud ..That's it

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hinduism♥Krishna;3917515 said:
In Mahabharata, Shri Krishna is described as green as well.... :) He's green color and that's why he is called as 'Hari'...

Doesn't it mean golden or yellow?
So many of these word have multiple meanings. So confusing :p

Chakra

Premium Member
Doesn't it mean golden or yellow?
So many of these word have multiple meanings. So confusing :p

It can mean green as well.
However, saying Krishna was green is a bit of a stretch imo. Could you give us the Mahabharata verse HLK?

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Random Factoid:

Lord Krishna taught Sunny Deol and Keanu Reeves how to do Martial Garba.

- - - - - - - -

In all honesty, the color of a god is irrelevant. The fact that it matters to humans is quite troubling. I doubt the Gomata-s at Vrindavan's Goshala care about the color of such a Lord. Instead, they are called by the serene sounds of his flute. How humbling that is, no ?

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Yes, there are descriptions of Krishna's color (scripture etc).

But these are descriptions, but IMHO you cannot describe Krishna's color, you can only experience it. It is undescribable. Electric.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"Harati iti Hari"
One who steals the heart is Hari (the stealer).
Other meaning: One who takes away Atma at the end of life is Hari.
Not just Krishna but all popular Hindu Gods are dark, Vishnu, Rama, Krishna. Among the Goddesses, Parvati and Kali are dark.
GhanaShyam, Krishna, Shyam. Don't know about Shiva. Brahma is fair.
Possibly indigenous/Aryan divide.

Last edited:

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Shiva is described as fair in the Shiva Purana. He is often depicted as blue, like Visnu/Krishna because he is smeared in the blue tinged ashes of renunciation/the funeral pyre. I believe he becomes dark when he takes the form of Bhairava however?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 11.5.27

"Dvāpare bhagavāñ śyāmah, pīta-vāsā nijāyudhah;
śrīvatsādibhir ańkaiś ca, lakshanair upalak****ah."

dvāpare — in Dvāpara-yuga; bhagavān — the Supreme Lord; śyāmaḥ — dark blue; pīta-vāsāḥ — wearing a yellow garment; nija-āyudhaḥ — having His own particular weapons (the disc, club, conchshell and lotus flower); śrīvatsa-ādibhiḥ — by Śrīvatsa and others; ańkaiḥ — bodily marks; ca — and; lakṣaṇaiḥ — by ornaments; upalakṣitaḥ — characterized.

In Dvāpara-yuga the Supreme Personality of Godhead appears with a dark blue complexion, wearing yellow garments. The Lord's transcendental body is marked in this incarnation with Śrīvatsa and other distinctive ornaments, and He manifests His personal weapons.
Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 11 Chapter 5 Verse 27

Last edited:

Stormcry

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 11.5.27

"Dvāpare bhagavāñ śyāmah, pīta-vāsā nijāyudhah;
śrīvatsādibhir ańkaiś ca, lakshanair upalak****ah."

dvāpare — in Dvāpara-yuga; bhagavān — the Supreme Lord; śyāmaḥ — dark blue; pīta-vāsāḥ — wearing a yellow garment; nija-āyudhaḥ — having His own particular weapons (the disc, club, conchshell and lotus flower); śrīvatsa-ādibhiḥ — by Śrīvatsa and others; ańkaiḥ — bodily marks; ca — and; lakṣaṇaiḥ — by ornaments; upalakṣitaḥ — characterized.

In Dvāpara-yuga the Supreme Personality of Godhead appears with a dark blue complexion, wearing yellow garments. The Lord's transcendental body is marked in this incarnation with Śrīvatsa and other distinctive ornaments, and He manifests His personal weapons.
Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 11 Chapter 5 Verse 27

Shyama doesn't mean 'dark Blue'....