• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any other religion other than Islam that forbids alcohol?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Seventh Day Adventist, Mormon, (and others??)there are several verses talking about alcohol, one says strong drink is a mocker, I don't know the verse, its Old Testament.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Bahai, from what I have heard. In fact, it is considered an inheritance of its Islamic origin. The Bahai Faith has a lot of Islamic influence.

Buddhism does not forbids things as such, and it tends not to value scripture nearly enough for proof to make sense, but one of the five basic precepts of Sila (theorically applicable to every Buddhist) announces that intoxication should be avoided.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I think Jehovah's Witnesses too, many of these ban smoking and drugs as well.

Corthos

Great Old One
What good timing for this thread. I just read this while reading the Gathas (Zoroastrianism). =)

When shall, Wise One, humanity settle down in dwellings?

When shall they throw out the filthy intoxicant?

It is through it that the priests

and the wicked rulers of the lands form their evil intellects.

(Song 13: Stanza 10)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Wow, I didn't know that many other religions forbid it. Are there punishments for it you know of?
I think most religions tend to either avoid overt punishments or emphasizing their existence. Not only for alcohol.

Edited to add: Come to think of it, most religious movements tend to discourage alcohol to some extent, even if that is not always quite obvious.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Cool!

Islam forbids it mainly to protect the community against possible side effects due to clouding/absenting mind and judgement. Along with the health and behavior issues too.

Having the above introduction said, so far the reason I noticed in the posts for forbidding it is intoxication (potential to damage health, is it?!?!). Are there other reasons?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What good timing for this thread. I just read this while reading the Gathas (Zoroastrianism). =)

When shall, Wise One, humanity settle down in dwellings?

When shall they throw out the filthy intoxicant?

It is through it that the priests

and the wicked rulers of the lands form their evil intellects.

(Song 13: Stanza 10)

This isn't actually referring to alcohol as such. And I know that alcohol is not forbidden within my faith.

Corthos

Great Old One
This isn't actually referring to alcohol as such. And I know that alcohol is not forbidden within my faith.

Oh! My mistake. I just reread underneath and I guess the verse is in reference to a certain drug that was in use at the time primarily among priests/rulers. (haoma) =)

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I've got something of a similar question. Why is it that Turkey, Albania and Bosnia differ from the majority of the Muslim world in regards to alcohol?

Maybe they decided to not take the rule from the book or have their own interpretation about it.

buddhist

Cool!

Islam forbids it mainly to protect the community against possible side effects due to clouding/absenting mind and judgement. Along with the health and behavior issues too.

Having the above introduction said, so far the reason I noticed in the posts for forbidding it is intoxication (potential to damage health, is it?!?!). Are there other reasons?
Buddhism strongly recommends that its practitioners refrain from alcohol and intoxicants, because such things interferes with the personal, positive development of the disciple.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Jews drink wine as a religious practice, but there is the cautionary tale of what happened to Noah after the flood.

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
Vedic or vaidika dharma -----'na surAm pibetha' --Vedam ordains not to drink alcohol but sadly as much of indians except some brahmins do not know vedam, they drink alcohol but sanatana dharma forbids alcohol ----Muslims follow their scriptures strictly unlike most of forgotten value 'hindus'..

The full verse from vedam goes like this

"na paradhaaram gatcheT; suraam na pibEt" - meaning "Don't covet other's wives and don't drink alcoholic drinks."