• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any explanation for Gods change in character between OT, NT & Now?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
angellous_evangellous said:
It makes sense. We certianly have our differences, but I am confident that Jews today do not see themselves as following a war-mongering God, but a loving God who is generally in character a God similar to the NT: loving, caring, etc.
while i agree that Jews see themselves worshipping a G-d that loves them and all the world it is not a universal love as professed in the Christian text.

an interesting look at G-d's love and the differences in Christianity and Judaism in this aspect can be found at a link here: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24782

it is written by a rabbi who has spent many years studying the differences and similarities in the 2 faiths.
just keep in mind ae that the author is not trying to invalidate one or the other, just show the differences in the 2. Again that it's apples and oranges.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
jewscout said:
while i agree that Jews see themselves worshipping a G-d that loves them and all the world it is not a universal love as professed in the Christian text.
Interesting......so He only Love some people?

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
Is THAT why Christians disagree so much with Jews? Because they see God as a bit more specific than you do? It offends you, but is that the case with every religious person? No. Should it be? No. Apples and oranges, BLT or a regular cheesburger. We're still talking about great fruits and great sandwiches.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Victor said:
Interesting......so He only Love some people?
what it's saying is that G-d, based on what the article is saying, is understood in different terms than christianity. G-d loves, but while christianity would say His love is universal, Judaism would say that G-d doesn't necessarily love everyone.
now i know everyone's gonna get in a tissy cause we all want to feel good and if G-d doesn't love everyone that doesn't make you feel good...
but in the Jewish thought, G-d doesn't love the homocidal raping psycho. Did He destroy all of the world in the time of Noah out of love? Or destroy the people of Sodom and Gemorrah out of love?
he saved individual people, but the story holds that those He killed had sinned, broken G-d's law, and were punished for it. And in this punishment it was a 1 strike and you're out.