• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any evidence for the Truth of Islam ?

loverOfTruth

I would be interested in any evidence you have loverOfTruth.

Is not He (better than your so-called gods) Who originates creation, and shall thereafter repeat it, and Who provides for you from heaven and earth? Is there any ilah(god) with Allah(God)? Say, "Bring forth your proofs, if you are truthful." (Al Quran : 27:64)

In light of the above verse from the Qur'an, it is only fair that non-muslims get to ask the same to the muslims - which is 'bring your proof, if Islam is the Truth'.

For any religion to claim that they have a Holy book which is from God(via one of God's messengers) at the present time, they need to prove the following :
1. The message in that Holy Book has indeed been preserved from the time of the messenger till current time (In other words, historical authenticity of the preservation of the text. That way we know for sure that whatever the messenger claimed to be God's words when we was present, is still with us in its original form.)

2. The message in that book is indeed from God (In other words, it couldn't be possibly from a human being.)

Evidences for both of the above together will confirm that the message in that book is indeed from God (the Creator of the Heavens and the Earth) and it had been preserved accurately throughout history, so everything in it is from GOD and True. Once you prove that,there's no reason why any reasonable person wouldn't accept that book as God's True Message - whether one chooses to follow it is a whole different story.

So let me start with some basics to explain what will constitute proving the Truth of Islam.

Preservation of the Qur'an - proves #1 above
Scientific Facts in the Qur'an - proves #2 above
Historical Facts in the Qur'an - proves #2 above
Prophecies in the Qur'an/Prophet Muhammad(PBUH)'s Sayings - proves #2 above
Literary Miracle of the Qur'an in Arabic - proves #2 above

Since this is a vast topic and covers a lot of things, if you prefer to watch videos, there is a great video in YouTube that covers the evidences for the Truth of Islam. You can choose to watch just the scientific facts and not the others or all. They are all in this playlist : The Proof That Islam Is The Truth - Abdur-Raheem Green - YouTube

Otherwise, if you prefer reading over watching ... carry on ;-)

Preservation of the Qur'an
The Holy Qur'an still exists in its original form in the original language. It has been preserved in writing as well as through memorization for centuries. Yes, millions of people around the world have memorized the Qur'an in Arabic cover to cover, letter for letter. This in and of itself is a miracle given majority of
those memorizers would not understand a word of Arabic. How many other books do you know that can claim that ?

For more information on the way the Qur'an was preserved, please visit:
Proof of The Preservation of the Quran

Scientific Facts in the Qur'an
Historical Facts in the Qur'an
Prophecies in the Qur'an/Prophet Muhammad(PBUH)'s Sayings

For the Scientific and the Historical Facts as well as the Prophecies please visit : Islam: Creation, Science, Miracle, Quran & Religion. Book Exploring The Qur'an.
The linked YouTube video on this is probably better since it is divided in different sections.

Literary Miracle of the Qur'an in Arabic
It is really hard to understand this one, without knowing Arabic. However, the following should suffice for the purpose of our discussion.

"If you have doubts about what We have sent down to Our servant, produce another chapter equal to it, and call your witnesses, besides Allah, if you are telling the truth. (Qur'an, 2:23)

One of the reasons that the Qur'an is described as miraculous stems from the fact that, as emphasized in the verses above, nothing like it can ever be written by human endeavour: The greater the scale of that impossibility, the greater the size of the miracle which we see before our very eyes. Therefore, the fact that the style of the Qur'an has been incapable of imitation by even one out of the billions of people down the centuries is one of the proofs of its miraculous nature. In his book, The Construction of the Bible and the Qur'an, F. F. Arbuthnot makes the following comment about the Qur'an:

From the literary point of view, the Koran is regarded as a specimen of the purest Arabic, written on half poetry and half prose. It has been said that in some cases grammarians have adopted their rules to agree with certain phrases and expressions used in it, and that though several attempts have been made to produce a work equal to it as far elegant writing is concerned, none has as yet succeeded." [Taken from http://www.ilmkidunya.com/student_articles/quran-miracle-of-miracles-387.aspx]

Finally for the ultimate skeptics, what are the chances that all of the above just happened as a co-incidence or by chance. To see the probability, read the following article :
Islamic Research Foundation - Athiest Proof of Allah(swt)

Peace.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
loverofTruth said:
1. Preservation of the Qur'an - proves #1 above
2, Scientific Facts in the Qur'an - proves #2 above
3. Historical Facts in the Qur'an - proves #2 above
4. Prophecies in the Qur'an/Prophet Muhammad(PBUH)'s Sayings - proves #2 above
5. Literary Miracle of the Qur'an in Arabic - proves #2 above

I numbered these for easier reference. All # 1, 3, and 5 prove is that it's a piece of literary work with some historical accuracies that has been well preserved. This doesn't prove in the least that it's divine. # 2 would be interesting, if it were true. And # 4 might have some merit, if there were any actual prophecies in the Qur'an. There is nothing in the Qur'an that has any divine mark on it. It's a great literary work, and it has value in that vein, and even has some good spiritual guides, but there's no way to prove that it's from god.

Daviso452

Boy Genius
I disagree with the first two parts of your argument.

The first:
1. The message in that Holy Book has indeed been preserved from the time of the messenger till current time (In other words, historical authenticity of the preservation of the text. That way we know for sure that whatever the messenger claimed to be God's words when we was present, is still with us in its original form.)

2. The message in that book is indeed from God (In other words, it couldn't be possibly from a human being.)
Number one cannot be used to prove whether it's accuracy as a whole is good, but rather that it isn't. They are two distinct arguments They are similar, yes, but one is proving accuracy, the other innaccuracy. The difference is greater than most give credit for. However number two is a good place to start.

But then the second part:
1.Preservation of the Qur'an - proves #1 above
2.Scientific Facts in the Qur'an - proves #2 above
3.Historical Facts in the Qur'an - proves #2 above
4.Prophecies in the Qur'an/Prophet Muhammad(PBUH)'s Sayings - proves #2 above
5.Literary Miracle of the Qur'an in Arabic - proves #2 above
1 and 3 are irrelevant.
2 and 4 do not take into the consideration of extraterrestrial life, which I consider more likely than God.
5 may work if you can demonstrate the force that caused it. However as I have come to know it, science cannot be used to demonstrate the powers of God.

One of the reasons that the Qur'an is described as miraculous stems from the fact that, as emphasized in the verses above, nothing like it can ever be written by human endeavour: The greater the scale of that impossibility, the greater the size of the miracle which we see before our very eyes. Therefore, the fact that the style of the Qur'an has been incapable of imitation by even one out of the billions of people down the centuries is one of the proofs of its miraculous nature.
Completely false. It is not "impossible;" it's just as simple as no one did it. The koran came, and people collaborated, believed in it, and had no reason to believe anything else.

But even then, you are are denying the existence of every other holy book of every other religion, such as the book of Mormon. True, there aren't any written in the EXACT SAME style of poetry and prose, and few written in ARABIC, but there are far more than you give credit for.

And even still, uniqueness has nothing to do with validity. The new testament, Torah, the scriptures of Hinduism (whose name I forget), are every bit as unique as you claim the Koran is. That doesn't make any of them more true.

Concerning the scientific facts in the Bible, I still play the alien card. Aliens are far more valid a concept than God. But even then, WE DON'T KNOW. And because we don't know, we must find out. If we cannot, then we leave it as "we don't know."

Finally, probability is more hollow than any other argument I have ever seen. It completely ignores the possibility that the universe may not be suited for us; perhaps we are just a by-product of how the universe turned out to be. Perhaps under different conditions, different kinds of life may have come about, and not our carbon-based life. Perhaps no life at all!

If you deny that last concept, I would like to know why. And please note that I never once denied the existence of God.

EDIT: the second to last link is broken.

EDIT AGAIN: Started watching the videos you linked. I may tell you my thoughts later.

Last edited:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
@ LoverOfTruth, salam brother/sister.

sometimes you may present as much evidence about islam, but to some people it is not evidence.
sometimes people might call that evidence fake, but some people will believe it to be true.
(talking about both muslims and non-muslim)

the Prophet peace be upon him performed many miracles when he was alive by the permission of Allah, but the Quraish still did not believe him. while others didn't even see any such miracles at first and still became muslims.

Allah guides whom he wills and leaves misguided whom he wills, whom he guides none can misguide them and whom he leaves misguided none can guide them.

salamu alaykum.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There is no such thing as proof (of anything) outside of pure logic, mathematics, and alcohol. All you have is evidence. And most things have some evidence for them, but not enough evidence for them.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Allah guides whom he wills and leaves misguided whom he wills, whom he guides none can misguide them and whom he leaves misguided none can guide them.

salamu alaykum.

Question: does Allah punish people for being misguided if their misguidedness is ultimately (I'm assuming from how you worded this) His fault? If so, how is that just?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Question: does Allah punish people for being misguided if their misguidedness is ultimately (I'm assuming from how you worded this) His fault? If so, how is that just?

those whom Allah guides, none can misguide.

Allah provides help to those who are muslims and no one can misguide such people who do not lean towards disbelief. you can present to them what ever one wishes, even the whole wealth of this world, it will not make them turn to disbelief if they do not lean to it because Allah is their helper.

those whom Allah has left misguided, none can guide them

no matter what is presented to people who do not wish to believe in Allah and islam, they will not become believers, Allah does not help such people to accept Islam who are not sincere about it and who wish to cause only harm to muslims.

i could say a few more things but i think what i have said makes sense.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
For any religion to claim that they have a Holy book which is from God(via one of God's messengers) at the present time, they need to prove the following :

Since the Koran fails both your points...

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
those whom Allah guides, none can misguide.

Allah provides help to those who are muslims and no one can misguide such people who do not lean towards disbelief. you can present to them what ever one wishes, even the whole wealth of this world, it will not make them turn to disbelief if they do not lean to it because Allah is their helper.

no matter what is presented to people who do not wish to believe in Allah and islam, they will not become believers, Allah does not help such people to accept Islam who are not sincere about it and who wish to cause only harm to muslims.

i could say a few more things but i think what i have said makes sense.
You did not answer the question.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
You did not answer the question.

i was answering this part:

(I'm assuming from how you worded this)

i explained further what i meant by what i said earlier. her question therefore becomes invalid. Allah does not force people to disbelieve and he doesn't force them to believe. we choose to believe or disbelieve. so it would not be unjust since it is a result of our actions.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

So, what about people who know they are sincerely seeking the truth for a fact -- yet still haven't seen any indication that Allah is real or that Islam is true?

I mean, it's hypothetically easy for someone else to look at a person and think, "They haven't sincerely searched. They might claim to, but deep inside they just want to scoff." But on this end, I know for a fact that I'm truly just seeking the truth in this world -- whatever that may be.

If I haven't found Islam to be true with that being the case, is that still my fault somehow? Does it still mean that I'm somehow insincere? That seems like a problematic notion to have of people: that if they don't believe, they must not be sincere -- am I understanding you wrong?

Also, I'm curious about the last part of the statement: "and who wish to cause only harm to Muslims." Does this imply that all non-believers are not only insincere in their search for truth; but also that they secretly desire to harm Muslims?

Or were you not combining the two -- that Allah can't guide those who are insincere OR those who seek to cause harm?

Basically:

1) Is it safe to assume non-believers are insincere?
2) Are non-believers prone to seeking to cause Muslims harm?
3) What happens to people who do sincerely search but never find Islam to be true -- does Allah punish them for mere innocent ignorance?

Last edited:

fulp

i was answering this part:

(I'm assuming from how you worded this)

i explained further what i meant by what i said earlier. her question therefore becomes invalid. Allah does not force people to disbelieve and he doesn't force them to believe. we choose to believe or disbelieve. so it would not be unjust since it is a result of our actions.

That's not true though, the Quran itself says different. God does it, because he said he'd fill hell with humans and jinn. That's in the book, and that's at best a God to ignore, and at worst a fairy tale soaking up the lives of millions.

But it's telling that it's *never* represented as is, as can be discovered by any literate person... so by your own logic, maybe Allah doesn't want you to understand the Quran because secretly you want to harm muslims or something? :confused:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
it's come a little out of hand, i will try to avoid making statements in such a way that cause misunderstanding between us. i must warn you it could become a very long post. lets see what happens.

So, what about people who know they are sincerely seeking the truth for a fact -- yet still haven't seen any indication that Allah is real or that Islam is true?

I mean, it's hypothetically easy for someone else to look at a person and think, "They haven't sincerely searched. They might claim to, but deep inside they just want to scoff." But on this end, I know for a fact that I'm truly just seeking the truth in this world -- whatever that may be.

If I haven't found Islam to be true with that being the case, is that still my fault somehow? Does it still mean that I'm somehow insincere? That seems like a problematic notion to have of people: that if they don't believe, they must not be sincere -- am I understanding you wrong?

i will explain what is called insincere in this case. in Islam the majority agree that a rapist, if 100% guilty, must face capital punishment (death). a thief, if 100% guilty, must have his hand cut off from the wrist etc etc.

now if you are looking for the truth while maintaining that your views are totally correct (for example you do not agree to the 2 punishments above) then you will cross Islam off the list. if to you the truth is that which conforms to your desires, to your liking and thinking then thats not truth, thats just your desires, liking and thinking. so Islam could be true, i believe it is, however, if your desire something that is outside of it's boundaries (ie a lesser punishment for the rapist) then you are actually not after what is true (ie Islam and death penalty to the rapist) you are after other things outside of islam. and if a muslim desires things outside of islam then that could result in disbelief.
(note: i said 'could' it depends on the situation and example)

so after explaining that, if one is sincerely searching for the truth, however, denies as being true that which contradicts their thinking and desires, is not after the truth they are just after what conforms with them. which in turn equates to insincerity.

Also, I'm curious about the last part of the statement: "and who wish to cause only harm to Muslims." Does this imply that all non-believers are not only insincere in their search for truth; but also that they secretly desire to harm Muslims?

Or were you not combining the two -- that Allah can't guide those who are insincere OR those who seek to cause harm?

yeah it was a separate sentence with an OR in the middle. sorry for that. Islam does not teach that all non-muslims are insincere or that they all wish to cause muslims harm. there are muslims who are insincere as well as non-muslims, there are sincere muslims as well as non-muslims. there are muslims who cause harm to muslims as well as non-muslims and there are non-muslims who cause harm to muslims as well as non-muslims. etc etc.

Basically:
1) Is it safe to assume non-believers are insincere?

no that would be wrong and against islamic teachings, there are numerous examples where the Prophet has become angry due to his companions having 'assumed' about others while not really knowing what is in their hearts.

2) Are non-believers prone to seeking to cause Muslims harm?

no. some people who wish to cause harm will do it to people regardless of what their faith is.

3) What happens to people who do sincerely search but never find Islam to be true -- does Allah punish them for mere innocent ignorance?

first, take into account what i have said in my first example about sincerity and insincerity.
second, people who know what is right and do what is wrong, will be held accountable because they knew what was right yet did what was wrong.
third, people will be held accountable for what wrong they did. and if they did wrong because they didn't know then,
fourth, people who do not know what is right and what is wrong will be held accountable and questioned about what prevented them from knowing what is right and what is wrong.

i know a story about a scholar who was told by someone that scholars will be held accountable for doing what is wrong while knowing what is right. and he replied saying that at least scholars will get punished once, you on the other hand will get punished twice, for doing what was wrong and for not knowing what was right. he was trying to make the people present laugh by saying it in a funny way.

i hope i have clarified my stance better. let me know if i have messed up somewhere again.

fulp

i know a story about a scholar who was told by someone that scholars will be held accountable for doing what is wrong while knowing what is right. and he replied saying that at least scholars will get punished once, you on the other hand will get punished twice, for doing what was wrong and for not knowing what was right. he was trying to make the people present laugh by saying it in a funny way.

that's just creepy if you ask me o_O

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
That's not true though, the Quran itself says different. God does it, because he said he'd fill hell with humans and jinn. That's in the book, and that's at best a God to ignore, and at worst a fairy tale soaking up the lives of millions.

But it's telling that it's *never* represented as is, as can be discovered by any literate person... so by your own logic, maybe Allah doesn't want you to understand the Quran because secretly you want to harm muslims or something? :confused:

muslims believe that God has knowledge of the future and the past without limits. in your opinion is it wrong for me to say a fact about the future? do you find the weather channel offensive and unjust for telling you what the weather is going to be based on statistics?

by now you probably understand where i am getting at, if not please answer those questions and in turn it will help me to answer yours.

Agnostic75

Message to eselam: How do you decide whether or not a person is honestly searching for the truth?

In Islamic republics, homosexuals are imprisoned or put to death. Do you approve of that?

Agnostic75

eselam said:
Muslims believe that God has knowledge of the future and the past without limits.

But that would not necessarily mean that God would tell anyone about the future.

eselam said:
In your opinion, is it wrong for me to say a fact about the future?

Not at all, I would love for you to accurately state what the stock market will close at one year from today.

What predictions about the year 2013 would you like to make about anything?