• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there an Ultimate beginning to existence?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So your saying the universe; space time, energy, and matter are contained within endless space of another kind then our own space?
It would be interesting if a Multiverse Theory could be proven. If you perchance reach the "end" of the universe and can't go no further, how expansive is the barrier that cannot be traversed? Even such a border itself would be a continuum begging the question if it's harboring things beyond our imaginations.

Another way to think about it it's how small can we go into the rabbit hole until we hit the "bottom" to how large can we go till we hit the "top"?

I personally can't see space/time not being infinite in all directions and dimensions for which you get finite periods of stability of which we can perceive and discern.

If something is ultimately finite. Then we'd have to completely redefine what space and infinity is. I couldn't get mentally past such a question as to what's beyond finite?

I can't see an ultimate beginning of anything save for the rising and falling of form and energy. Even then it's hard to see things without a start at some point either.

It's hard to reconcile when both seem true.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
For those of you extremely interested in this topic

This 40 min. Video goes into the explanation for an ultimate beginning.

Last edited:

osgart

The more one adds up infinities, 1 chance in 1 infinity doesnt seem so unlikely, if there is an infinite amount of infinite processes going on. And here you have a 1 in 10^100^123 chance of our universe existing, according to the mathematician Roger Penrose.

I think the key to that is are we part of an infinite process. In my mind infinite processes dont exist for finite physical material realms. What would be a reoccuring process in a sea of infinities? Sooner or later you must reach an eternal uncaused causal realm.

osgart

Or is inflation eternal into the past. No ultimate beginnings, and our universe is an eternally existing domino that got set in motion.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
My favorite idea about the beginning is that we are part of a huge Math relation, and that reality is merely nothing, not even a simulation. I think numbers and other relations exist without any need for a consciousness. I think the universe is set, unchanging. To call it infinitely repeating is an understatement, because every moment exists continually so that there is no way to identify a beginning as it all simply is. In a way our idea of something is as real as we are though not as full or as detailed. I have not worked it out logically, however or developed it philosophically.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
My favorite idea about the beginning is that we are part of a huge Math relation, and that reality is merely nothing, not even a simulation. I think numbers and other relations exist without any need for a consciousness. I think the universe is set, unchanging. To call it infinitely repeating is an understatement, because every moment exists continually so that there is no way to identify a beginning as it all simply is. In a way our idea of something is as real as we are though not as full or as detailed. I have not worked it out logically, however or developed it philosophically.
"Math relation"

Is math a reality?
Regards

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
"Math relation"

Is math a reality?
Regards
There are two major opinions. Some say Math is discovered and others that it is invented. To me this also corresponds with different religious philosophies. For example: the idea of Brahman appears to contradict self existent Math since it insists everything arises from consciousness, however even if reality does not arise from consciousness ( but from a Math relation ) our experiences are filtered by consciousness. In that case a person can believe reality is Mathematical while maintaining belief in Brahman psychologically. In other words you can believe your experiences are marred by thought processes rather than created by them, or you can choose to believe thoughts create everything outright.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
There are two major opinions. Some say Math is discovered and others that it is invented. To me this also corresponds with different religious philosophies. For example: the idea of Brahman appears to contradict self existent Math since it insists everything arises from consciousness, however even if reality does not arise from consciousness ( but from a Math relation ) our experiences are filtered by consciousness. In that case a person can believe reality is Mathematical while maintaining belief in Brahman psychologically. In other words you can believe your experiences are marred by thought processes rather than created by them, or you can choose to believe thoughts create everything outright.
My understanding is that reality exists/existed independent of Math, though certain humans could discern its some aspects through Math. Math comes after humans got consciousness there the Brahman idea is correct, again my understanding.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
My understanding is that reality exists/existed independent of Math, though certain humans could discern its some aspects through Math. Math comes after humans got consciousness, there the Brahman idea is correct, again my understanding.

I believe reality existed/exists independent of Math. Math is a tool to have a glimpse of the reality for the humans, it does not control reality.
Regards