• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there an official Trinity doctrine?

Jane.Doe

Out of curiosity, if you have time to read through the doctrine of the Trinity as I've outlined it in this thread, how close are Mormons to the Orthodox view of the Trinity? I know you guys don't believe that the Son or the Spirit are from eternity, but what about the rest of it?
LDS Christians and Athanasian Christians (aka Christians that believe the Athanasian Creed) both believe:
Every single word about Christ in the Bible.
The Son of God, Jesus Christ is 100% divine.
The Father is 100% divine.
The Holy Spirit is 100% divine.
The Father, Son, and Spirit are all without beginning nor end.
The Father is not the Son, nor vice verse. Christ doesn’t pray to Himself. Neither of them are the Spirit. They are 3 different persons.
The Father, Son, and Spirit together are 1 God (are monotheists).
Christ was/is the great I Am, the Only Begotten Son of God.
Christ was one with the Father before the Earth was created. He then created the Earth, was born of a virgin, lived a mortal life with lots of suffering, took the world’s sins upon Himself, died on a cross, rose again on the 3rdday, later rose to heaven, and is coming back again.

The difference comes in:
LDS Christians believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 1 God through unity.
Athanasian Christians believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 1 God through consubstantiation (Consubstantiality - Wikipedia).

What difference does this make in the day to day:
Not much. Realistically, a lot of people sitting in Trinitarians pews have never even heard of the Athanasian Creed. This is a level of deeper theology which doesn’t really affect day-to-day.

This is interesting. It would be cool to hear the Mormons viewpoint. From what I understand they believe that every man can become a God and that God was himself once a mortal who attained Godhood. They also have the Book of Mormon separate to the bible, so their viewpoint isn't limited to the Bible's view.
This is a couple of subjects:
--Man's potential to become like Christ & the Father: yes, LDS Christians believe that this is indeed possible through God's immense power and grace. Disciples of Christ will (in the eternities) become join-heirs with Christ and one with the Father even as Christ is (see the Intercessory prayer in John 17).
-- The Father's possible history: is a different subject, and one that's not actually core LDS Christian doctrine (not being anywhere in official scriptural cannon). There are some speculations on the the subject, and you'll find people all over the board in regard to it & all in equally good standing.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yes, Jesus' human will and divine will. Jesus is truly man and truly God. His two wills were perfectly united, yet His human will retained human emotions and passions. It's like being fully prepared to go into war or ride a really crazy rollercoaster or visit your mother-in-law, but you're still crapping your pants and shaking and sweating like a pig anyway because you know it's gonna suck. (Except the rollercoaster. Rollercoasters are awesome.)
I can more or less go along with that (especially the part about roller coasters :D), but the fact remains that Jesus did actually ask His Father to "take away the cup." That would imply that He actually did have a choice as to whether to accept His Father's will or simply say, "No. I'm done with this. I'm not going to go through with what you're asking of me." Had He chosen to do that, do you believe He could have "overridden" His Father's will or not? Either a "yes" or a "no" answer will result in some problems with the assumption that only "one will" was involved but that Jesus was also God, and therefore omnipotent.

Out of curiosity, if you have time to read through the doctrine of the Trinity as I've outlined it in this thread, how close are Mormons to the Orthodox view of the Trinity? I know you guys don't believe that the Son or the Spirit are from eternity, but what about the rest of it?
Actually, we do believe that, for all intents and purposes, the Son and the Spirit are eternal. They did, at least all exist prior to "the beginning" as recorded in scripture. Would you be so kind as to give me the number of the post you would like me comment on? That would save me a lot of time, since you've posted multiple times on this thread. Thanks.

Jane.Doe

I can more or less go along with that (especially the part about roller coasters :D), but the fact remains that Jesus did actually ask His Father to "take away the cup." That would imply that He actually did have a choice as to whether to accept His Father's will or simply say, "No. I'm done with this. I'm not going to go through with what you're asking of me." Had He chosen to do that, do you believe He could have "overridden" His Father's will or not? Either a "yes" or a "no" answer will result in some problems with the assumption that only "one will" was involved but that Jesus was also God, and therefore omnipotent.
Another way of phrasing things: Christ voluntarily works with the Father and voluntarily has the same goals -- choosing to be one. He's not forced into it like this was Star Trek's Borg.
Actually, we do believe that, for all intents and purposes, the Son and the Spirit are eternal. They did, at least all exist prior to "the beginning" as recorded in scripture.
Yep.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Again, you are operating off of a faulty understanding of the Trinity. [...] They are not each 100% of God, they each possess the fullness of the Divine Nature.
As is innate in the definitions of 'Trinity' I set out, and is express in the RC version, the Father IS God, not part of god, and Jesus IS God, not part of God, and the Ghost IS God, not part of God. If you are praying to any one of them, you are by that action praying to 100% of God, not a fraction of God.

Thus the 'mystery in the strict sense' is this ─ in the Trinity doctrine 100%+100%+100% = 100%, NOT 300%.
A mystery is not "something that we have no clue about and no answers for". [...] We can demonstrate it by reason after the fact, but we cannot demonstrate it by reason alone apart from the revelation.
As you've seen, the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church and the Catholic Encyclopedia unfortunately contradict you without ambiguity. The Trinity doctrine, they say, IS a 'mystery in the strict sense' and a mystery in the strict sense 'can neither be known by unaided human reason apart from revelation nor cogently demonstrated by reason after it has been revealed.'

Their words, not mine.

So if you disagree that the mystery in the strict sense is 100%+100%+100%=100% (or if you prefer, 1+1+1=1) what do you say the mystery in the strict sense is? WHAT is it that can't be cogently demonstrated by human reason after it's been revealed?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
LDS Christians and Athanasian Christians (aka Christians that believe the Athanasian Creed) both believe:
The Father is not the Son, nor vice verse. Christ doesn’t pray to Himself. Neither of them are the Spirit. They are 3 different persons.
Christ was one with the Father before the Earth was created. He then created the Earth, was born of a virgin, lived a mortal life with lots of suffering, took the world’s sins upon Himself, died on a cross, rose again on the 3rdday, later rose to heaven, and is coming back again.

The difference comes in:
LDS Christians believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 1 God through unity.
Athanasian Christians believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 1 God through consubstantiation (Consubstantiality - Wikipedia).

Not much. Realistically, a lot of people sitting in Trinitarians pews have never even heard of the Athanasian Creed. This is a level of deeper theology which doesn’t really affect day-to-day.
Fun fact, the Athanasian Creed wasn't written by St. Athanasius. It was a Western forgery created in around the 500's. It's utterly unknown in the Eastern churches. The Athanasian Creed actually runs the risk of veering a little into Sabellian territory. It also contains the Filioque doctrine, which was a theological innovation of the Western Church that was never present in the theology of the Fathers or of the Ecumenical Councils.

Ever since re-learning the Trinity, I'm surprised to see that the actual historical doctrine of the Trinity is somewhere in the middle between the Western Christian version of the Trinity and the Mormon doctrine of the Godhead.

--Man's potential to become like Christ & the Father: yes, LDS Christians believe that this is indeed possible through God's immense power and grace. Disciples of Christ will (in the eternities) become join-heirs with Christ and one with the Father even as Christ is (see the Intercessory prayer in John 17).
-- The Father's possible history: is a different subject, and one that's not actually core LDS Christian doctrine (not being anywhere in official scriptural cannon). There are some speculations on the the subject, and you'll find people all over the board in regard to it & all in equally good standing.
And this is a point where Mormons and Orthodox disagree. We teach theosis, i.e. the idea that man can become like God in holiness and in virtue, by growing to become an ever more perfect likeness of God. However, we do not teach that man "outgrows" his humanity and becomes divine in nature like God. It is my understanding that Mormons teach apotheosis, not merely theosis.

No, because His human will and His divine will are perfectly united. If Jesus had said no, then we would be looking at two different Persons--a human Jesus and a divine Jesus, AKA Nestorianism. Or straight-up Gnostic stuff where the Christ possesses the man Jesus and makes him do stuff. Christ's human will is passionate, i.e. experiences emotions such as fear, doubt and hesitation. His divine will, however, is dispassionate and does not experience anything like this. Christ expressing His fear and hesitation about His mission, yet even still submitting to the Divine Will, shows the perfect balance between His two wills, both united harmoniously within His Person.

Do Mormons believe that Jesus had the capacity to say no and refuse to go through with the crucifixion?

Actually, we do believe that, for all intents and purposes, the Son and the Spirit are eternal. They did, at least all exist prior to "the beginning" as recorded in scripture. Would you be so kind as to give me the number of the post you would like me comment on? That would save me a lot of time, since you've posted multiple times on this thread. Thanks.
I'm just going to pull some assorted quotes from other posts I've made in the thread, and you can have a look through and poke at things that stick out to you.

From post 9...
What sets the Trinitarians apart from the Modalists is that we believe the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three distinct Persons, yet one God--i.e. they all share the same Divine Essence. The Father is the origin of the Trinity; He begets the Son and it is from the Father that the Spirit eternally proceeds. It is also from the Father that the Son and the Spirit have their Divine Nature. Trinitarians assert that the Son is eternally begotten; in other words, there was never a time that the Son was not. The same is true of the Spirit. Just as there was never a time where our sun wasn't radiating heat and light, there was never a time in which the Son was not yet begotten or in which the Spirit had not yet proceeded. The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God.

It is also important that the three Persons of the Trinity are united not only in their same Divine Nature, but also in their interactions with one another. There is a relationship among the three, and the Father reigns supreme as the origin and anchoring point of the Trinity. The Son and the Spirit are co-equal with the Father in divinity, power and majesty, and the Trinity is properly called "one God" because of their shared divine nature and their shared action. But when Jesus called the Father "the only true God" in John 17, this is also a true statement, because the Father reigns supreme, not in terms of having greater divinity or greater power, but because He is supreme in terms of relationship.​

From post 12...
What sets the Trinitarians apart from the Modalists is that we believe the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three distinct Persons, yet one God--i.e. they all share the same Divine Essence. The Father is the origin of the Trinity; He begets the Son and it is from the Father that the Spirit eternally proceeds. It is also from the Father that the Son and the Spirit have their Divine Nature. Trinitarians assert that the Son is eternally begotten; in other words, there was never a time that the Son was not. The same is true of the Spirit. Just as there was never a time where our sun wasn't radiating heat and light, there was never a time in which the Son was not yet begotten or in which the Spirit had not yet proceeded. The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God.
From post 41...
As St. Gregory of Nyssa explains in his treatise On Not Three Gods, the Persons of the Trinity do not act separately like three separate humans. They share the same Divine Will and they all participate in the same divine action. You do not have three coordinated Divine wills and three coordinated Divine actions as the Mormons teach, but one Divine Will and one divine action that all three share in. So when everything was created, God the Father used His Word (God the Son) and His Spirit to create all things. The Fathers teach that grace comes from the Father, through the Son and in the Spirit. All three Persons shared in the same divine act of creation.
Where do Mormons agree and disagree with this?

Shiranui117

Premium Member
As is innate in the definitions of 'Trinity' I set out, and is express in the RC version, the Father IS God, not part of god, and Jesus IS God, not part of God, and the Ghost IS God, not part of God. If you are praying to any one of them, you are by that action praying to 100% of God, not a fraction of God.

Thus the 'mystery in the strict sense' is this ─ in the Trinity doctrine 100%+100%+100% = 100%, NOT 300%.
The RC version is at odds with the Trinity as expressed by the Fathers and the Ecumenical Councils. The Roman Catholics changed a few things about how they view the Trinity during the Scholastic era. I have already stated that the Trinity as you have framed it is incorrect. You're trying to get me to defend a theology that I have repeatedly rejected in no uncertain terms, and yet you continue to insist that that is what I must certainly believe.

As you've seen, the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church and the Catholic Encyclopedia unfortunately contradict you without ambiguity.
Then the Catholic Encyclopedia is wrong, and so is the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church because it derives its understanding of the Trinity from Catholicism's faulty understanding. I have already explained why the Catholic version of the Trinity is at odds with the doctrine of the Trinity as outlined by the Fathers and the Ecumenical Councils and I'm happy to go into further detail as to why and how.

The Trinity doctrine, they say, IS a 'mystery in the strict sense' and a mystery in the strict sense 'can neither be known by unaided human reason apart from revelation nor cogently demonstrated by reason after it has been revealed.'

Their words, not mine.
Evidently it's their words and not yours, because you haven't engaged with anything I've said. You've simply reiterated those two points and insisted on using the modern definition of mystery and rejecting the fact that the word "mystery" in theology properly means something very different, as I have outlined by quoting Met. Kallistos Ware, the Archbishop of the Greek Orthodox Church in Great Britain and an Oxford professor himself. I have already explained to you twice (now with this post, thrice) what the word "mystery" properly means as it pertains to theology.

So if you disagree that the mystery in the strict sense is 100%+100%+100%=100% (or if you prefer, 1+1+1=1) what do you say the mystery in the strict sense is?
You can see my post above to Katzpur where I gave the Clif Notes for what I've said in this thread thus far.

WHAT is it that can't be cogently demonstrated by human reason after it's been revealed?
The Trinity of course can be demonstrated by reason, Scripture and Tradition after it's been revealed, or else we would have lost out to the Arians or the Sabellians. The issue isn't whether we can intellectually explain it. The issue is that we are created, finite beings attempting to grasp the Eternal, Infinite Creator. I can explain to you the sheer size of the ocean with numbers and data, but being in the deep ocean and experiencing its vastness and trying to understand what you see and experience before you is another matter altogether. You can explain to me everything about your grandmother, but until I have met her, I don't fully get what you're talking about. We all remain a mystery to each other, because we can never fully comprehend what it is to be somebody else. There is always more to be revealed as we draw deeper into communion with God and with each other.

Jane.Doe

First of all @Shiranui117 , I want to thank you for your fantastic thought out and respectful posts here. They truly are a joy to read.
Fun fact, the Athanasian Creed wasn't written by St. Athanasius.
I actually did know that :) Names can be such misnomers.
And this is a point where Mormons and Orthodox disagree. We teach theosis, i.e. the idea that man can become like God in holiness and in virtue, by growing to become an ever more perfect likeness of God. However, we do not teach that man "outgrows" his humanity and becomes divine in nature like God. It is my understanding that Mormons teach apotheosis, not merely theosis.
Clarififcaton about LDS Christian beliefs here: we become completely like God and one with Him. Our Father will always be our Father, and our Savior always our Savior. Through His power, our desire to sin is cast away, our selfishness too, and all those traits. In there places are His love, His righteous desires, His goodness, etc.
No, because His human will and His divine will are perfectly united. If Jesus had said no, then we would be looking at two different Persons--a human Jesus and a divine Jesus, AKA Nestorianism. Or straight-up Gnostic stuff where the Christ possesses the man Jesus and makes him do stuff. Christ's human will is passionate, i.e. experiences emotions such as fear, doubt and hesitation. His divine will, however, is dispassionate and does not experience anything like this. Christ expressing His fear and hesitation about His mission, yet even still submitting to the Divine Will, shows the perfect balance between His two wills, both united harmoniously within His Person.

Do Mormons believe that Jesus had the capacity to say no and refuse to go through with the crucifixion?
Christ voluntarily was scarified for the sins of the world. He wasn't forced.
I'm just going to pull some assorted quotes from other posts I've made in the thread, and you can have a look through and poke at things that stick out to you.

From post 9...

It is also important that the three Persons of the Trinity are united not only in their same Divine Nature, but also in their interactions with one another. There is a relationship among the three, and the Father reigns supreme as the origin and anchoring point of the Trinity. The Son and the Spirit are co-equal with the Father in divinity, power and majesty, and the Trinity is properly called "one God" because of their shared divine nature and their shared action. But when Jesus called the Father "the only true God" in John 17, this is also a true statement, because the Father reigns supreme, not in terms of having greater divinity or greater power, but because He is supreme in terms of relationship.

What sets the Trinitarians apart from the Modalists is that we believe the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three distinct Persons, yet one God--i.e. they all share the same Divine Essence. The Father is the origin of the Trinity; He begets the Son and it is from the Father that the Spirit eternally proceeds. It is also from the Father that the Son and the Spirit have their Divine Nature. Trinitarians assert that the Son is eternally begotten; in other words, there was never a time that the Son was not. The same is true of the Spirit. Just as there was never a time where our sun wasn't radiating heat and light, there was never a time in which the Son was not yet begotten or in which the Spirit had not yet proceeded. The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God.​
I'm going to break this up to simplify my response.

Yes, LDS Christians agree with the following:
- The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three distinct Persons, yet one God
- All three of them are completely divine.
- Never was there a time when any of them were not.
- All three have infinite power, majesty, divinity.
- The Son and Spirit bow down to the Father out of love and respect.
- They share the same action.

A point of discussion is the phrases "Divine Essence" and "Divine Nature". LDS Christians don't use these phrases and don't really 'do' scholastic style theology. For LDS Christians, the Father is divine because He is Perfect: Perfect love, knowledge, majesty, will, righteousness, care, power, mercy, justice, etc. What makes a person a sinner is things like selfness, greed, shamefulness, short-tightness, abuse, etc.
From post 41...
As St. Gregory of Nyssa explains in his treatise On Not Three Gods, the Persons of the Trinity do not act separately like three separate humans. They share the same Divine Will and they all participate in the same divine action. You do not have three coordinated Divine wills and three coordinated Divine actions as the Mormons teach, but one Divine Will and one divine action that all three share in. So when everything was created, God the Father used His Word (God the Son) and His Spirit to create all things. The Fathers teach that grace comes from the Father, through the Son and in the Spirit. All three Persons shared in the same divine act of creation.
Three different person, each having their own will, but it's also the same will: they're all aiming for the exact same goals, goodness, in the fact same in concert way.

It's not like the Borg. Instead, the best mortal analogy would be a hypothetical Perfect marriage wherein both spouses have literally the exact same goal, methods, morals, and are working perfectly together towards them -- it's not "his" or "hers", it's "ours".

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Fun fact, the Athanasian Creed wasn't written by St. Athanasius. It was a Western forgery created in around the 500's. It's utterly unknown in the Eastern churches. The Athanasian Creed actually runs the risk of veering a little into Sabellian territory. It also contains the Filioque doctrine, which was a theological innovation of the Western Church that was never present in the theology of the Fathers or of the Ecumenical Councils.
So Eastern Orthodoxy does not accept the Athanasian Creed? That's really interesting!

Ever since re-learning the Trinity, I'm surprised to see that the actual historical doctrine of the Trinity is somewhere in the middle between the Western Christian version of the Trinity and the Mormon doctrine of the Godhead.
And this is, too!

Let me just start by saying that we never actually use the words, "apotheosis" or "theosis," so I'm not sure either one of them accurately explains our doctrine. Rather, we believe that God and men are essentially the same species. Genesis 21:21, 24-25 (KJV) states, "And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. In the very next verse, we read, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness." Since we are referred to elsewhere in the scriptures as His "offspring," we take this to mean that we, having been created in His kind, have the potential to someday "outgrow our humanity" as you put it. This does not mean that we will ever be equal to God or that we will ever cease to worship Him as our only God.

See this is where you're losing me. His human will said "No!" and His divine will said, "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." You have Him referring to "two different wills" and bowing to His Father's will, because of His deep devotion and obedience. Had it been possible for Him to complete His mission in some less horrific way, He would have preferred to do so, but given that this was not possible, He said, "Thy will be done."

I don't think that we ever even seriously consider this question, because we know that Jesus would never have gone against His Father's will. But I have heard it said that Jesus died willingly and that He had the power to come down from the cross at any time. Of course, had He done that, the entire course of human history would have been changed, and this was something He absolutely would not have wanted to happen. He had a mission to fulfill and was determined not to fail in that.

Thanks! That's a good way to do it.

From post 9...
What sets the Trinitarians apart from the Modalists is that we believe the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three distinct Persons, yet one God--i.e. they all share the same Divine Essence. The Father is the origin of the Trinity; He begets the Son and it is from the Father that the Spirit eternally proceeds. It is also from the Father that the Son and the Spirit have their Divine Nature. Trinitarians assert that the Son is eternally begotten; in other words, there was never a time that the Son was not. The same is true of the Spirit.​
We would agree that all three "share the same Divine Essence" -- provided what you recognize that the term "divine essence" is more or less absent from our theology. We would probably say that they share the same divine "attributes" or "nature." I'm afraid it doesn't make logical sense to me, though, the Father could beget the Son if the Son was always present. Fathers who beget sons always precede them, and we believe this to be true in the case of God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. That said, we believe that they both (and the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit) all existed prior to the time the Bible describes as "the beginning."

Just as there was never a time where our sun wasn't radiating heat and light, there was never a time in which the Son was not yet begotten or in which the Spirit had not yet proceeded. The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God.
We would agree that all three are "God." But just as we believe there most certainly was a time where our sun wasn't radiating heat and light -- that time being before God created the sun, moon and stars (the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night), we believe that "the Father existed prior to the Son and the Holy Ghost and is the source of their divinity." From the human frame of reference, however, it would be accurate to say that they were all there "in the beginning," the beginning being the time that the clock started ticking, so to speak.

It is also important that the three Persons of the Trinity are united not only in their same Divine Nature, but also in their interactions with one another. There is a relationship among the three, and the Father reigns supreme as the origin and anchoring point of the Trinity. The Son and the Spirit are co-equal with the Father in divinity, power and majesty, and the Trinity is properly called "one God" because of their shared divine nature and their shared action. But when Jesus called the Father "the only true God" in John 17, this is also a true statement, because the Father reigns supreme, not in terms of having greater divinity or greater power, but because He is supreme in terms of relationship.
I'd say we agree with this paragraph completely.​

From post 41...
As St. Gregory of Nyssa explains in his treatise On Not Three Gods, the Persons of the Trinity do not act separately like three separate humans. They share the same Divine Will and they all participate in the same divine action. You do not have three coordinated Divine wills and three coordinated Divine actions as the Mormons teach, but one Divine Will and one divine action that all three share in. So when everything was created, God the Father used His Word (God the Son) and His Spirit to create all things. The Fathers teach that grace comes from the Father, through the Son and in the Spirit. All three Persons shared in the same divine act of creation.​
The best way I can think to answer this is to say that we believe their unity of will, purpose, mind and heart to be perfect and absolute. This is, however, by choice. There is absolutely nothing that the Father wants that the Son and the Holy Ghost do not also want and are not also working towards. They are NEVER at odds with each other. I've never actually heard it said that "grace comes from the Father, through the Son and in the Spirit," but I really like that way of putting it and it ties in nicely with what we Latter-day Saints believe.
So, how'd I do? If my answers didn't make sense, please let me know. I actually think we agree on more than we disagree on. But you may disagree with me there. ;)

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have already stated that the Trinity as you have framed it is incorrect. You're trying to get me to defend a theology that I have repeatedly rejected in no uncertain terms, and yet you continue to insist that that is what I must certainly believe.
Goodness, no ─ I happily acknowledge your right to believe what you please. Our argument is about whether the NT supports the Trinity doctrine, which it simply doesn't. And to be clear, I don't mind whether it does or not, but since it doesn't, I think it's fair to stand up for the facts.
Then the Catholic Encyclopedia is wrong, and so is the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church because it derives its understanding of the Trinity from Catholicism's faulty understanding.
I'd be surprised if the Oxford Dictionary of the CC didn't have links with Anglicanism. The List of Contributors doesn't identify them by denomination, but by inference of their titles suggests the protestants are well represented. So I don't accept that either the definition I've been using or the Trinity's status as 'a mystery in the strict sense' can be dismissed as a RCC confection.

That wouldn't prevent you from having your own version, of course.
I have already explained why the Catholic version of the Trinity is at odds with the doctrine of the Trinity as outlined by the Fathers and the Ecumenical Councils and I'm happy to go into further detail as to why and how.
The question, from any angle, is whether the Trinity doctrine is coherent. I think I mentioned earlier coherent versions that were rejected by the original Trinity doctrine ─

That the one God can choose to appear in any of three manifestations, Father, Son, Ghost. (As I understand it, in Judaism the ruach, which could arguably be an analogy for the Ghost, is not a separate entity but a manifestation of God.)

That each of the Father, Son and Ghost is a fraction of God.

That there are three gods, Father, Son, Ghost.

and it seems clear that God is not a corporation with a board of three, or a partnership.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your argument appears to be the second one, that each of the Father, Son and Ghost is indeed a fraction of God. I say that because it's the corollary of your denial that each of them is 100% of God.

Last edited:

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

The difference comes in:

Thats interesting. I can see the link then between Man possibly becoming God at least in terms of authority as Christians will reign with Christ on God's throne. (Romans 8)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Thats interesting. I can see the link then between Man possibly becoming God at least in terms of authority as Christians will reign with Christ on God's throne. (Romans 8)
Absolutely. But that does not mean that we will become a part of what most Christians think of as "the Trinity." We will not somehow be assimilated within a single "substance" or "essence" that is now the God we worship. We will always be distinct from God Almighty.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Absolutely. But that does not mean that we will become a part of what most Christians think of as "the Trinity." We will not somehow be assimilated within a single "substance" or "essence" that is now the God we worship. We will always be distinct from God Almighty.

Good point.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Goodness, no ─ I happily acknowledge your right to believe what you please. Our argument is about whether the NT supports the Trinity doctrine, which it simply doesn't.
And as I said before, I don't care to have that argument. You won't be convincing me, and I won't be convincing you. I'm just here to set the record straight on what the historic, Patristic doctrine of the Trinity actually is.

And to be clear, I don't mind whether it does or not, but since it doesn't, I think it's fair to stand up for the facts.
That's your opinion. I, the Fathers of the Church since the early centuries of Christianity, and the Ecumenical Councils respectfully disagree.

I'd be surprised if the Oxford Dictionary of the CC didn't have links with Anglicanism. The List of Contributors doesn't identify them by denomination, but by inference of their titles suggests the protestants are well represented. So I don't accept that either the definition I've been using or the Trinity's status as 'a mystery in the strict sense' can be dismissed as a RCC confection.
As a matter of fact, it can. The Anglicans, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists, Baptists, Anabaptists, etc. are all offshoots of Catholicism. They inherited Catholicism's version of the Trinity. The Catholic Church wound up changing their doctrine of the Trinity during the Scholastic era (which flourished from the 800's to around 1300 or so), and the modern Protestants split off starting in the 1500's. They rejected some innovations of medieval Catholicism, such as Purgatory and indulgences and Papal supremacy, but kept many other things, such as the Catholic version of the Trinity (including the Filioque clause which they inserted illicitly into the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed).

So yes, the Anglicans' and other mainline Protestants' explanation of the Trinity can absolutely be put in the same box as the Catholics' version, because they have the same Trinitarian theology as the Catholics.

The question, from any angle, is whether the Trinity doctrine is coherent. I think I mentioned earlier coherent versions that were rejected by the original Trinity doctrine ─

That the one God can choose to appear in any of three manifestations, Father, Son, Ghost. (As I understand it, in Judaism the ruach, which could arguably be an analogy for the Ghost, is not a separate entity but a manifestation of God.)

That each of the Father, Son and Ghost is a fraction of God.

That there are three gods, Father, Son, Ghost.

and it seems clear that God is not a corporation with a board of three, or a partnership.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your argument appears to be the second one, that each of the Father, Son and Ghost is indeed a fraction of God. I say that because it's the corollary of your denial that each of them is 100% of God.
I think when you say "God", you have in mind a Person like us, and the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are each a sort of split within God's personality. You conceive of God primarily as a monadic entity, more in line with how Western Christianity has come to discuss God. Or to use an old-as-dirt reference, God is Voltron, and the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are each three of the robot-lion-cars that join together to form the one giant fighting robot samurai. We Orthodox reject all four of the explanations you put forward, and in order to properly understand the Trinity as defined by the Fathers and the ecumenical councils, we need to ditch that idea and start from scratch—with the Person of God the Father (YHWH).

If we look at the pages of the Old Testament, we see that the word translated as "God" (Elohim) is also translated as "ruler". Thus we have Psalm 82, where God sits in counsel among the rulers (or gods, depending on how you translate “Elohim” in this Psalm). Also, St. Gregory of Nyssa connects the word “theos” (God) to the word “thea”, which means “sight”, and therefore states that to be God is to oversee all of creation and rule over it. The Father is the Only True God, as Jesus says in John 17, because the Father is the One with whom the Divine Essence and the kingship originates. The Father doesn’t choose to beget the Son and spirate the Spirit, He simply does—or else He would not be the Father. The Son and the Spirit are eternal, just as the Father is. The Son and the Spirit share the one Divine Essence and the one divine kingship with the Father, because the Father gives it to them. The Trinity is one God because the three Persons share in the same kingship, possess the same common Divine Nature, share the same Divine Will from the Father, and they all three participate in the same divine action (or as we Orthodox call it, the Divine Energies, or workings of God). As stated before, the three Persons do not unite their three distinct divine wills and they do not coordinate their three disparate divine energies (as a corporate board of three or a partnership would posit), but rather all three share one will and one action/energy.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
First of all @Shiranui117 , I want to thank you for your fantastic thought out and respectful posts here. They truly are a joy to read.

I actually did know that :) Names can be such misnomers.
Especially when they're forgeries that Catholics produced to either gain leverage over Western European kings or over the Eastern churches. The Donation of Constantine is easily the most famous example of this.

Clarififcaton about LDS Christian beliefs here: we become completely like God and one with Him. Our Father will always be our Father, and our Savior always our Savior. Through His power, our desire to sin is cast away, our selfishness too, and all those traits. In there places are His love, His righteous desires, His goodness, etc.
This is similar to what we believe. We teach that we always remain human and creatures, but we grow in God's likeness. We are all icons of God, and as we continue on in eternity we become better and more radiant icons.

Christ voluntarily was scarified for the sins of the world. He wasn't forced.
Agreed. In the Liturgy, the priest prays at the Anaphora "On the night on which He was betrayed, or rather gave Himself up for the life of the world..."

I'm going to break this up to simplify my response.

Yes, LDS Christians agree with the following:
- The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three distinct Persons, yet one God
- All three of them are completely divine.
- Never was there a time when any of them were not.
- All three have infinite power, majesty, divinity.
- The Son and Spirit bow down to the Father out of love and respect.
- They share the same action.

A point of discussion is the phrases "Divine Essence" and "Divine Nature". LDS Christians don't use these phrases and don't really 'do' scholastic style theology. For LDS Christians, the Father is divine because He is Perfect: Perfect love, knowledge, majesty, will, righteousness, care, power, mercy, justice, etc. What makes a person a sinner is things like selfness, greed, shamefulness, short-tightness, abuse, etc.
We don't really define "divine" as perfection. In the Liturgy, the priest says the following during the Anaphora: "It is proper and just to sing to You, to bless You, to praise you, to thank You, to worship You in every place of Your Kingdom, for You are God ineffable, inconceivable, invisible, incomprehensible, ever-existing yet ever the same, You and Your only-begotten Son and Your Holy Spirit." As far as I understand the Fathers and the Ecumenical Councils, they would say that "divinity" is best defined as being infinite, eternal, uncreated, transcendent yet imminent, and being King over the whole created universe.

Three different person, each having their own will, but it's also the same will: they're all aiming for the exact same goals, goodness, in the fact same in concert way.

It's not like the Borg. Instead, the best mortal analogy would be a hypothetical Perfect marriage wherein both spouses have literally the exact same goal, methods, morals, and are working perfectly together towards them -- it's not "his" or "hers", it's "ours".
While the marriage analogy illustrates well the communion between the three Persons, I would have to reject it as an analogy to describe the unity of the Trinity--a marriage is two different individuals who enter into a union between themselves at a point in time, and who harmonize their disparate and separate wills, which still remain different and distinct from one another.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
So Eastern Orthodoxy does not accept the Athanasian Creed? That's really interesting!
Yup! It was made up by the Western Church long after St. Athanasius died. It contains the Filioque, which is a condemned heresy in our church, so we would never accept the Creed. The (pseudo-)Athanasian Creed was never used in the East anyway.

And this is, too!
Yeah. Imagine my surprise when I finished unlearning everything, thinking back to a conversation you and I had held a few years ago on here, and thinking, "Hmmm, how would that conversation pan out now..." :D

Let me just start by saying that we never actually use the words, "apotheosis" or "theosis," so I'm not sure either one of them accurately explains our doctrine.
Haha yeah, I imagine you guys wouldn't have too much interest in using Greek words to encapsulate your doctrine. :D

Rather, we believe that God and men are essentially the same species. Genesis 21:21, 24-25 (KJV) states, "And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. In the very next verse, we read, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness." Since we are referred to elsewhere in the scriptures as His "offspring," we take this to mean that we, having been created in His kind, have the potential to someday "outgrow our humanity" as you put it. This does not mean that we will ever be equal to God or that we will ever cease to worship Him as our only God.
And this is where Mormonism and Orthodoxy part ways. We are icons of God, made in His image, but that does not mean that we are the same "species" as God. If we were the same "species" as God, then we would not be created by God, but rather begotten. Orthodoxy teaches that only Christ is begotten of the Father; we are creations of the Trinity. We reflect the image of God--His freedom of choice, and His capacity for holiness, love and communion. But we do not innately reflect His likeness--that is, the actual quality of holiness and the state of being in communion and relationship. We have to grow into that likeness. None of the three Persons in the Trinity require such a growth period--they just are. As I quoted above, God is "ever-existing yet ever the same". We are not ever-existing; we were created in time. We are not ever the same; we are mutable and subject to change and growth.

See this is where you're losing me. His human will said "No!" and His divine will said, "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." You have Him referring to "two different wills" and bowing to His Father's will, because of His deep devotion and obedience. Had it been possible for Him to complete His mission in some less horrific way, He would have preferred to do so, but given that this was not possible, He said, "Thy will be done."
I read it differently. His human will was what said, "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou wilt." Christ in His divine will would not have even needed to pray this; He as God is impassible, and thus is not subject to such emotion as God. But as man, He does truly experience these emotions and feels anxiety and fear over what He has already resolved to do. (Maybe throwing in the example about the mother-in-law gave too extreme a picture of how much Jesus in His humanity was fearful of what He was going to do...)

I don't think that we ever even seriously consider this question, because we know that Jesus would never have gone against His Father's will. But I have heard it said that Jesus died willingly and that He had the power to come down from the cross at any time. Of course, had He done that, the entire course of human history would have been changed, and this was something He absolutely would not have wanted to happen. He had a mission to fulfill and was determined not to fail in that.
For us Orthodox, the example would be an immediate "no". His divine will is not just in concert with the Father's divine will; Christ's divine will is the Father's divine will, since that is whence Christ has His divine will. The Son and the Spirit both will what the Father wills, yet all three Persons remain distinct. I haven't watched Star Trek, so I don't understand what the Borg is, but from what I can gather it's different from what we Orthodox believe about the divine will.

Thanks! That's a good way to do it.

We would agree that all three "share the same Divine Essence" -- provided what you recognize that the term "divine essence" is more or less absent from our theology. We would probably say that they share the same divine "attributes" or "nature." I'm afraid it doesn't make logical sense to me, though, the Father could beget the Son if the Son was always present. Fathers who beget sons always precede them, and we believe this to be true in the case of God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. That said, we believe that they both (and the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit) all existed prior to the time the Bible describes as "the beginning."​
Yes, that is the way that things work in nature. But God does not operate according to those rules. If the Son were to be begotten in time after the Father, then He would not be God at all, but something lesser, and likewise there would be a time in which God the Father was not "Father". This was the heresy of Arius--"There was a time when the Son was not."

We would agree that all three are "God." But just as we believe there most certainly was a time where our sun wasn't radiating heat and light -- that time being before God created the sun, moon and stars (the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night), we believe that "the Father existed prior to the Son and the Holy Ghost and is the source of their divinity." From the human frame of reference, however, it would be accurate to say that they were all there "in the beginning," the beginning being the time that the clock started ticking, so to speak.
This is definitely something with which we would disagree. Yes, the Son and the Spirit definitely receive their Divine Nature from the Father, but they did not come into being after the Father. This Sunday in Orthodoxy was the Sunday of the Fathers of the First Six Ecumenical Councils (or the Fathers of the Fourth Ecumenical Council, depending on your jurisdiction). We sang the following at Vespers on Saturday:
"I glorify the power of the Father, magnify the power of the Son, and praise the might of the Holy Spirit, one Godhead, indivisible, uncreated, consubstantial Trinity, reigning through all eternity."

"Let us extol today those mystical trumpets of the Spirit, namely the God-mantled Fathers, who, speaking of divine things, sang in the midst of the Church a hymn of unified tones, teaching that the Trinity is One, not differing in Substance or Godhead, refuting Arius and contending for Orthodoxy, who doth ever intercede with the Lord to have mercy on our souls.
Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.
O Lady of exceeding honor, how can we but wonder at thee giving birth to incarnate God? For thou, O all-blameless, not knowing a man, didst give birth in the flesh to a Son without father, who before eternity was begotten of the Father without mother, the property and essence of each substance remaining intact. Wherefore, O virgin Mother, beseech Him to save the souls of those who assent and confess, with true belief, that thou art the Theotokos.

The best way I can think to answer this is to say that we believe their unity of will, purpose, mind and heart to be perfect and absolute. This is, however, by choice. There is absolutely nothing that the Father wants that the Son and the Holy Ghost do not also want and are not also working towards. They are NEVER at odds with each other. I've never actually heard it said that "grace comes from the Father, through the Son and in the Spirit," but I really like that way of putting it and it ties in nicely with what we Latter-day Saints believe.
Yeah, that last formulation there is something I think was expressed by St. Augustine, or maybe it was one of the Cappadocian Fathers of the mid- to late 300's. As stated above, however, we Orthodox would find issue with how you conceive of the unity of the three Persons as being three separate individuals who decide to enter into a pact with one another. This to me sounds like three separate gods who decide to work together, like on Mt. Olympus or in Asgard.

So, how'd I do? If my answers didn't make sense, please let me know. I actually think we agree on more than we disagree on. But you may disagree with me there. ;)
I think you did great. We do have many similarities, and on the face of it our positions are indeed quite close. But there are a few key differences that I'm noticing.

Man was originally called to tend the Garden of Eden, and we were made stewards over all creation. As you rightly point out, we are co-heirs with Christ as adopted children. We become like God, and we become gods (i.e. rulers who become ever more like God in holiness and virtue), but not Gods. 2 Corinthians 3:18, 1 Corinthians 15:35-49 and 2 Peter 1:4 illustrate this beautifully.

Agreed. We will always remain created humans, but we are drawn into communion with the Persons of the Trinity, and we are made like them--not in our nature, but by the grace of the Eternal Godhead.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As a matter of fact, it can. The Anglicans, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists, Baptists, Anabaptists, etc. are all offshoots of Catholicism. They inherited Catholicism's version of the Trinity.
That may be the case, and if so the version I've quoted would be the mainstream (Western) view; but it's true that I haven't examined the views of Eastern Orthodoxy on the Trinity question.
I think when you say "God", you have in mind a Person like us, and the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are each a sort of split within God's personality.
No, I agree with the churches that their view is incoherent. I don't pretend to have a picture in my head of how it could work in reality, any more than they do.
You conceive of God primarily as a monadic entity, more in line with how Western Christianity has come to discuss God.
I note the evolution of the God concept through the bible ─ the primitive alpha male of Genesis; the tribal deity among tribal deities of the Torah and early Tanakh; the monogod of Isaiah, who's still a tribal deity; Paul's concept of universalizing a gnostic version of that God according to a prophet Jesus whom Paul never actually met and about whom as a real person Paul knows virtually nothing, but who for Paul is also a pre-existing heavenly being, the demiurge; Mark's different take on a messianic tradition by which he devises a biography of Jesus by having God adopt him (an ordinary Jew) as Son just as God had adopted David as Son, and moving his hero through a series of purported fulfillment-of-prophecy adventures so he'd qualify for the title 'messiah', much or even all of it therefore fiction; Matthew's and Luke's synoptic development of that Jesus as God's literal offspring by an inseminated virgin in the Greek tradition, but having no more knowledge of a real Jesus than Mark did; then John's demiurge; and then from the time of John to the fourth century the attempt to devise a monogod theology by which Jesus could nonetheless be elevated to god status, which in the 4th century produces the Trinity doctrine.
Or to use an old-as-dirt reference, God is Voltron, and the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are each three of the robot-lion-cars that join together to form the one giant fighting robot samurai.
Thanks for that ─ Voltron and I are guilty of rather ignoring each other, so I'll check him out.
We Orthodox reject all four of the explanations you put forward, and in order to properly understand the Trinity as defined by the Fathers and the ecumenical councils, we need to ditch that idea and start from scratch—with the Person of God the Father (YHWH). If we look at the pages of the Old Testament, we see that the word translated as "God" (Elohim) is also translated as "ruler". Thus we have Psalm 82, where God sits in counsel among the rulers (or gods, depending on how you translate “Elohim” in this Psalm).
I think Strong's 'elohim' can be condensed to the idea of 'divine beings' and 'godlike/ powerful beings'. If that's on the right track then 'ruler' would be one in a large range of possibilities ─ prince, judge, master, &c
Also, St. Gregory of Nyssa connects the word “theos” (God) to the word “thea”, which means “sight”, and therefore states that to be God is to oversee all of creation and rule over it.
I don't think anything hangs on the point, but I respectfully disagree with Greg's etymology.
The Father is the Only True God, as Jesus says in John 17, because the Father is the One with whom the Divine Essence and the kingship originates.
He's also the only god there is, says Isaiah. And this is the problem facing those pushing to elevate Jesus to god status.
The Father doesn’t choose to beget the Son and spirate the Spirit, He simply does—or else He would not be the Father.
I don't understand that. An omnipotent omniscient being does involuntary acts? The Son and the Ghost come into being (as aspects distinct from God himself) even though God never intends this? Surely not.
The Son and the Spirit are eternal, just as the Father is. The Son and the Spirit share the one Divine Essence and the one divine kingship with the Father, because the Father gives it to them.
But not voluntarily, you say. It just happens that way.
The Trinity is one God because the three Persons share in the same kingship, possess the same common Divine Nature, share the same Divine Will from the Father, and they all three participate in the same divine action (or as we Orthodox call it, the Divine Energies, or workings of God).
If they don't have their own will, they'd have to be either the Father himself, just in another manifestation, or mere automata, surely? What third possibility is there?
As stated before, the three Persons do not unite their three distinct divine wills
You said above that that they 'share the Divine Will'; now you seem to be saying they don't. Either they're capable of disagreeing with the Father, and the evidence for that would be disagreements of each of them with the Father, or they don't have their own will, no?
and they do not coordinate their three disparate divine energies (as a corporate board of three or a partnership would posit), but rather all three share one will and one action/energy.
There they go sharing the one will again. That means there's only one will, the Father's.

I'm interested in your clarification.

If God does not consist solely of the Father, then it follows (does it not?) that God is not present just because Father or Son or Ghost or Father+Son or Father+Ghost or Son+Ghost is present. God is only present when all three are present. God might be represented there by his agent or envoy or vicar but God himself isn't there.

(This is the problem I think the version I quoted tries to address.)

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, we Orthodox do have a slightly different take on the Trinity than Western Christians. If you want to know what it is to be a Trinitarian, I can give you some primary-source documents from the First Council of Nicaea, the First Council of Constantinople, and some of the Church Fathers. The Trinity is a BIG topic to cover, so I'll just let you ask questions about it and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

This is a good answer.
I was going to post something, but no need.

LightofTruth

If death means to no longer exist than the trinity fails. Trinitarians are bound to the idea of death meaning a separation of soul and body. Experiencing death, for them, means to experience the separation of your soul from your body. Therefore, when Jesus died he experienced a separation. God separated from the body he took.

Those who understand that death means to die, or no longer be living, can not intelligently hold to the Trinity doctrine because God can not die, or no longer be alive.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
If death means to no longer exist than the trinity fails. Trinitarians are bound to the idea of death meaning a separation of soul and body. Experiencing death, for them, means to experience the separation of your soul from your body. Therefore, when Jesus died he experienced a separation. God separated from the body he took.

Those who understand that death means to die, or no longer be living, can not intelligently hold to the Trinity doctrine because God can not die, or no longer be alive.

As far as I remember, that verse is written after Jesus rose from the dead? Therefore ot cam be interpreted that God cannot die as Jesus is immortal when that verse was written.