• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there an empire over the Governments ?

Neuropteron

There are rumors of a secret society pulling the strings of the world governments. Some call it the Illuminati's, Knight Templar, Free Mason or the Globalist.
I have no knowledge of any of that...if I did, I probably couldn't tell you.

My reference is to a prophecies in the book of Revelation and is purely of a religious nature.
It's talking about a woman.
The prophecy states :
"the woman...means the great city that has a kingdom over the kings of the earth" Rev 17:18.
Let's see if we can make sense of this, with the goal of identifying this woman.
----------------------------------

Straight away we see that the "woman" stands for a city.(vs17:18)
Reading through chapter 17 reveals that the woman is a (figurative) harlot (vs17:1), commits fornication with the kings of the earth , and made the rest of earth inhabitants drunk, in turn they are in admiration of her. (vs17:2).
The woman sits on a wild beast (vs17:3)
She wears purple and scarlet is rich and holds a golden cup full of disgusting things (vs17:4).
This great city's name is "Babylon the Great"(vs17:5).(BTG)
She is a (mystery) "religious secret"...but the angel reveal the secret.(vs17:7)..to those who have the wisdom to understand it.(vs17:9).
She is surrounded by figurative "water". The water means people and crowds and nations [tongues] (vs15) on a side note this "water" will dry up in the last days pointing to a decrease in support from them (vs 16:12).

From vs 16 we learn that the beast she's sitting on will turn on her and destroy her.(vs16)
Following this destruction:
Merchant and Kings of the earth will weep after her...(vs 18:1-19)

-------------------------------
Do we have enough information to identify this woman ?

Background info:
Who is the wild beast?
Cross reference shows that the beast are kingdoms (Da7:17 ).
The woman is influencing them or directing them (by the fact that she's sitting on them) just as any rider would e.g. a horse . Furthermore, analysis shows this influence date's back in time (Dan 2:29-45).
Water: people and nations, (whose support decreases in the time of the end).
Rich: arrayed in purple & scarlet, gold, precious stones.
Harlotry: with whom? cross reference reveal that Christendoms friendship with the world/politics is equivalent to prostitution and spiritual fornication (Rev 18:3).
Cup full of disgusting things: What things? Perhaps unscriptural Doctrines, or/and ungodly conduct.

A city called Babylon the Great (BTG):
Who BTG cannot be:
The Merchant; since they weep over her demise.
The Governments: since they are her figurative ride, and they also cry over her.
The people or National entities: They are in admiration of her.

Who can BTG be?

Bible History:
There never was a city called BtG, but there was a Babylon.
Babylons most prominent feature was her proliferation of religious beliefs and multitudes of Gods.
It stands to reason that BTG must have the features of the ancient city of Babylon.
(* list of some of her features below.)
Some have suggested that the Vatican and the Catholic church are BTG.
But this theory has the flaw that although the Vatican has adopted many of babylon's pagan practises (albeit with slight modifications), and has in principle copied Babylon's Triadic God belief, the Vatican does not fit "all" of Babylons features, thus does not completely fit the description required to be identified as BTG.

Who is left?
Since no single entity can be singled out (as far as I know); the only possibily left is that is has to be a "composite" religious body.
A reasonable premise, I think, and the only one that makes any sense to me, is that:
"all" of the worlds religion is BTG.
because as a whole they fulfill all of the identifying characteristics of the city of Babylon.

Can it be said that the Vatican is ostensibly not BTG but rather a part of her?

Maybe you have some other candidate in mind. Please share.

---------------------------------------------------
* Some Babylonians religious features:

Triads or Enneads of Gods. Triads of devils.
Many different Gods. Avatars, relations and wars between Gods.
Statues, Images and religious artifacts.
Religious Candles, flames, eggs, Cross, cakes
Religious Images, statues and Idolatry
Immortality of the soul
Cult of Mother Goddess
The underworld, Hell
Sacred animals
Temple prostitution.
Astrology,Divination, Magic, Sorcery
Worship of the Sun, Animism, religious Tree
Human sacrifices.
Fertility Rites.

epronovost

If I were you I would take a little step back. The book of Revelation was written under the influence of psychotropic substance which was a common practice for seers and oracles at the time. Basically, you take psychotropic substances and you tell others what you are seeing and try to make some sense out of it. You are literally trying to make sense out of some dude's acid trip almost 2000 years old. It's one of the reason why Eastern Christian Churches were reluctant to accept it in the Canon and some still reject it. This sort of prophetic writing was more popular in Greece and Rome than in Syria or Mesopotamia. If you want an easier way to relate to it, I would suggest you also go on your own acid trip and try to see if it makes more sense.

exchemist

Veteran Member
If I were you I would take a little step back. The book of Revelation was written under the influence of psychotropic substance which was a common practice for seers and oracles at the time. Basically, you take psychotropic substances and you tell others what you are seeing and try to make some sense out of it. You are literally trying to make sense out of some dude's acid trip almost 2000 years old. It's one of the reason why Eastern Christian Churches were reluctant to accept it in the Canon and some still reject it. This sort of prophetic writing was more popular in Greece and Rome than in Syria or Mesopotamia. If you want an easier way to relate to it, I would suggest you also go on your own acid trip and try to see if it makes more sense.
Now that is a very interesting claim. I've often said Revelation reads like an old man's acid trip - and now you saying that is literally what it is. Where do you get this information?

Altfish

Veteran Member
shopping

Dark Money by Jane Mayer is essential reading

Viker

Häxan
OK, I turned off the filter to see the link. It looks like some sort of flaky New Age site to me. The author doesn't seem to have any credentials.

Let's see if @epronovost has something a bit more substantial.
It's a start. Why don't you dig a little, too? We can all dig together.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It's a start. Why don't you dig a little, too? We can all dig together.
I've had a quick look and aIl I find is general references to Allegro's discredited ideas, nothing specific to John of Patmos. Anyway, it's not me making the claim, so it's up to others to offer support for it.

Viker

Häxan
I've had a quick look and aIl I find is general references to Allegro's discredited ideas, nothing specific to John of Patmos. Anyway, it's not me making the claim, so it's up to others to offer support for it.
I just thought I'd help. :p

Honestly, some can't seem to grasp John using literary license and artistry without some sort of psychotropic influence.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I just thought I'd help. :p

Honestly, some can't seem to grasp John using literary license and artistry without some sort of psychotropic influence.
Sure. Old men can see visions for all sorts of reasons, I suppose. I'm just interested to know if there is a solid foundation for the idea, seeing as it's something I've often suggested somewhat frivolously.
Thanks for having a shot at it, anyway.

epronovost

Now that is a very interesting claim. I've often said Revelation reads like an old man's acid trip - and now you saying that is literally what it is. Where do you get this information?

It's pretty much the consensus amongst biblical scholar based on the area where it was written, the island of Patmos which had a tradition of oracles like on many other areas of Greece. It was also remote and relatively scarcely populated which made it the sort of area where people could be exiled. There is implication that the John who wrote Revelation wasn't born there but sent in exile there for practice of sorcery under the emperor Domitian rule. In the most common practice of "sorcery" in Roman law, there is the practice of taking drugs and prophesizing.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
It's pretty much the consensus amongst biblical scholar based on the area where it was written, the island of Patmos which had a tradition of oracles like on many other areas of Greece. It was also remote and relatively scarcely populated which made it the sort of area where people could be exiled. There is implication that the John who wrote Revelation wasn't born there but sent in exile there for practice of sorcery under the emperor Domitian rule. In the most common practice of "sorcery" in Roman law, there is the practice of taking drugs and prophesizing.
Aha I see. I knew he was exiled to Patmos but did not appreciate the drug angle.