• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faithofchristian

The dead are in their graves, for now. (Contrary to what most believe.) -- John 5:28-29 : when Jesus talked about them coming back to life, i.e., in the Resurrection, note the future tense He used. They 'will come out from the memorial tombs.'
Also, future tense is used by Paul, at Acts of the Apostles 24:15.

It's the resurrection that will bring people back to life. Right now, they are dead, "aware of nothing" -- Ecclesiastes 9:5; please read Psalms 146:3-4 and Genesis 3:19.

I would like you to explain exactly who are the dead and what the grave represents in John 5:28

What does Jesus mean in John 5:29,
"(They that have done good, unto the resurrection of life) What does this mean ?

( And they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation)
What does this mean ?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I presume that this information is never answers to specific, verifiable questions like “what’s the combination to the safe in your office? We’re trying to find your will - everything is frozen while we deal with disputes in probate and the family is really hurting financially.”

Of course, it’s possible for this sort of thing to be a scam even the “psychic” isn’t directly charging for their “services,” but I do acknowledge that some people do sincerely think they can talk to the dead. She may not be intentionally manipulating people.

Mock if you feel you must, but if you ever sat there while this happened you'd change your tune. The questions that deal with the mundane pale in comparison with the pure emotion that comes through. This is not a "service" she provides, nor is there any manipulation involved. She doesn't "think" she talks to those who have passed it is a spontaneous occurrence that allows her to reassure those who have been left behind that their loved one is at peace. For the record, I have always been a skeptic, but now I am very open-minded about life (of some sort) after death.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
But isn’t it also belief that, ultimately, God also created garbage, manure, pus, etc.? Is he going to preserve all that in Heaven too?
It's the spiritual aspect he wishes to preserve, the souls residing within the spiritual realm. Everything you mention is mere molecules, mere physical chemistry. Flies, for example, don't find such things distasteful.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's the spiritual aspect he wishes to preserve, the souls residing within the spiritual realm. Everything you mention is mere molecules, mere physical chemistry. Flies, for example, don't find such things distasteful.
So you don't actually agree with what you suggested earlier, i.e. that things created by God must be eternal?

Why do you really believe in an afterlife, then?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Mock if you feel you must, but if you ever sat there while this happened you'd change your tune.

I saw no mockery whatsoever in the post that you reply to above (which wasn't mine).

I live in Brazil, where channellers enjoy a lot of popularity and not a little status. There are many people who swear by them, despite a lot of well-documented fraud and self-delusion. I am all too aware of how many people are certain that we would "change our tune".

It takes some awareness of psychopathology and human sciences to realize how such is definitely not the case.

The questions that deal with the mundane pale in comparison with the pure emotion that comes through. This is not a "service" she provides, nor is there any manipulation involved. She doesn't "think" she talks to those who have passed it is a spontaneous occurrence that allows her to reassure those who have been left behind that their loved one is at peace. For the record, I have always been a skeptic, but now I am very open-minded about life (of some sort) after death.

That is a very familiar scenario, I assure you. Far too familiar.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My question for you guys is, do you believe there is life after death? If yes, tell me why. And if no, tell me why as well but explain to me on how you deal with knowing there is just this life and no other.

Although there is no way to know if there is an afterlife, there is little reason to think that there will be a time after death during which we will remain conscious and connected through memory to our formerly living selves, and good reasons to believe that that would be impossible without a brain.

Why wouldn't the time after death be just like the time before birth? What changed during life to make the afterlife different from the beforelife?

Some religious people might suggest that an immortal soul was created by a god and injected into the gestating body, a soul that didn't exist before life, but will survive death. But what evidence is there for that?

So, like others here, I life life as if this is all that there is, and I am content with that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Mock if you feel you must, but if you ever sat there while this happened you'd change your tune.
I strongly doubt that.

The questions that deal with the mundane pale in comparison with the pure emotion that comes through.
So no specific, verifiable facts?

This is not a "service" she provides, nor is there any manipulation involved. She doesn't "think" she talks to those who have passed it is a spontaneous occurrence that allows her to reassure those who have been left behind that their loved one is at peace.
So... a gut feeling that the deceased is “at peace?” This sounds less than remarkable.

For the record, I have always been a skeptic, but now I am very open-minded about life (of some sort) after death.
You don’t strike me as a skeptic.

... and I can’t count the number of people I’ve heard call themselves “skeptics” who held views that were decidedly incompatible with actual skepticism.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I saw no mockery whatsoever in the post that you reply to above (which wasn't mine).

I live in Brazil, where channellers enjoy a lot of popularity and not a little status. There are many people who swear by them, despite a lot of well-documented fraud and self-delusion. I am all too aware of how many people are certain that we would "change our tune".

It takes some awareness of psychopathology and human sciences to realize how such is definitely not the case.

That is a very familiar scenario, I assure you. Far too familiar.

I try not to get defensive about this, but this woman I love is the most humblest and unassuming person I know. She didn't ask for any of this; and, until I came along with a pragmatic and inquisitive nature to help her understand who she was, this "gift" almost drove her crazy. Now she can embrace and control the "chatter" that is constantly coming through.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I strongly doubt that.

So no specific, verifiable facts?

So... a gut feeling that the deceased is “at peace?” This sounds less than remarkable.

You don’t strike me as a skeptic.

... and I can’t count the number of people I’ve heard call themselves “skeptics” who held views that were decidedly incompatible with actual skepticism.

I'm not going to argue with because you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. So believe what you want and have a nice day.

David T

Premium Member
Just wanted to say thank you for the feedback yesterday on my video about religion.

My question for you guys is, do you believe there is life after death? If yes, tell me why. And if no, tell me why as well but explain to me on how you deal with knowing there is just this life and no other.
Yes... It's called death....it comes after life.

Is there such a thing as after death?
Yes... it's called life.....it comes after death.

Is the after death eternal? Who knows it's a great mystery.

What do l believe happens in the after death?

I "believe" you cease existing....No you just become some random accidental particles of energy bumping into to furniture cluelessly. At least that's what we know empirically today.

David T

Premium Member
No, there isn't.

Life is biochemistry, in humans very complex biochemistry, but nothing else. When the numerous biological systems that make a life possible have irreversibly failed, life ceases, hence brain function ceases, hence the sense of self, and memories, and personality, and identity, the works.

How do I deal with that? When I had cancer, I found I could consider my own extinction with equanimity; regret, indeed, but nothing of panic. I was under general anesthetic on several occasions there, and that will do as a simple analogy for oblivion.

I'm not a believer, but I notice Paul, John and 1 John think the natural end is extinction eg Romans 6:9, John 3:16, no different to my view ─ but now they can offer believer's paradise instead. Mark (perhaps metaphorically) and Revelation think the alternatives are the lake-of-fire sort of thing (torture unbelievers for eternity) or paradise.

As Ecclesiastes 3 puts it,

19 For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts; for all is vanity. 20 All go to one place; all are from the dust, and all turn to dust again.​
Life is biochemistry and nothing else.
Therefore the statement is only biochemistry and nothing else. It's meaningless biochemistry it's just a mechanical action reaction to action reaction to action reaction infinitely. That's all... it isn't reasoned it isn't smart not is it self aware even.It's just an organic robot is all it is..

we-live-now

The dead are in their graves, for now. (Contrary to what most believe.) -- John 5:28-29 : when Jesus talked about them coming back to life, i.e., in the Resurrection, note the future tense He used. They 'will come out from the memorial tombs.'
Also, future tense is used by Paul, at Acts of the Apostles 24:15.

It's the resurrection that will bring people back to life. Right now, they are dead, "aware of nothing" -- Ecclesiastes 9:5; please read Psalms 146:3-4 and Genesis 3:19.

Hey Hockeycowboy, have you seen those verses in the original unadulterated language?

This is where man didn't say "Here is what God is saying" and then re-write scripture for us "dummies". There is a close to original version out there still for those who can think for themselves which according to John is all of us. 1 John 2:27 The word is written inside ALL our hearts whether old testament (death) or new testament (life). James 1:21 "Receive-ye the implanted saying (word) the-one being able to save the souls of you". Death (OT) is first as it strips away all outer flesh and releases our life and spirit within.

Death comes first.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit John 12:24

We all are God's "seed" (grain of wheat) and "fell into the earth (natural body itself which converts back to "earth"). When we die, we bear much fruit.

Check this verse out, it's so beautiful as it shows this process occurring now.

Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day 2 Cor 4:16

See how we are actually two being put together in one body. Outer man is dying while inner man is living and being renewed.

Here is what John 5:28-29 says according to the Westminster-Leningrad codex where each word was given one, single meaning and wasn't changed throughout all scripture to suit the writers preconceived beliefs.

No be-marveling this that is-coming hour in-which all the ones in the memorial-vaults shall-be-hearing the sound of him. John 5:28
And they-shall-be-outgoing the-ones the good doing into upstanding of life the-ones YET the fowl practicing into upstanding of judging John 5:29 (There is actual group called "yet" that practice fowl, these "live" and carry out the old testament on mankind now.)

This chapter and verse can be found here.

Please check out John 5:29. It says "the ones doing good". Where do they HAVE to be when they "do good"? Answer: In the MEMORIAL vaults. They (ones doing good) shall be out-going into upstanding of life whereas the ones YET will not go into life but into judgment. YET do not have life but will be alive in death. In God's eyes ALL are alive to him whether we call them "alive" or "dead".

Now he is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for all are alive to him." Luke 20:38 (God doesn't see the dead as "dead" but as living because he sees both sides of "life" and "death" as one. This "duality" that man sees is created by a "sea" and when Jesus crosses over to the "other side" to visit the memorial vaults, he is crossing over the divider of and one of the containers of death. This is why Revelations 20:13 says "the sea will give up its dead")

So, are you alive now? Could your body NOW be a "memorial vault" or a prison for your spirit being? Are you able to escape it without "passing over" or "passing through" death?

Consider this that Romans 11:32 says "ALL have been bound into a PRISON of disobedience (body - memorial vault) so he could have mercy upon ALL".

I am convinced this prison is our current body and natural mind of darkness that can not see the spiritual "unseen" things all around us now. The beautiful thing is that if we can go through this body/life without judging (ourselves and others) we are truly free. Matt 7:1-2.

Blessings...

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I try not to get defensive about this, but this woman I love is the most humblest and unassuming person I know. She didn't ask for any of this; and, until I came along with a pragmatic and inquisitive nature to help her understand who she was, this "gift" almost drove her crazy. Now she can embrace and control the "chatter" that is constantly coming through.
Fair enough.

That, too, is a very familiar scenario. You can easily find hundreds, even thousands of Brazilians saying very similar things. Some of them are close to me or have been at some point.

QuestioningMind

Just wanted to say thank you for the feedback yesterday on my video about religion.

It would certainly be nice if there was something after this life, but there's absolutely no verifiable evidence that there is. The way my brain works it's not possible for me to genuinely believe anything without verifiable evidence. Thus all I can do is hope that there is something beyond this existence while living my life as if there is not.

As for how I deal with such uncertainty, I suppose that I deal with it the same way that I deal with the reality that I don't know when I'll die. I hope to live to a ripe old age, but understand that there are no guarantees that I will.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm not going to argue with because you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. So believe what you want and have a nice day.
I believe that there are thousands (millions?) of people out there who sincerely but mistakenly believe that they’re psychic and most of them have people near them who believe their “abilities” are genuine.

These are the sort of people who would try Randi’s million dollar challenge, sure that they’d be successful, but would come away confused and disappointed when their abilities didn’t actually pass the test.

If your wife really can verifiably communicate with the dead, she’d be the first person in history. OTOH, other explanations - e.g. mental illness or lying - are as common as dirt. Based on how I see the odds, I know where I’d put my money.

... but since I’ve never met your wife, you can keep telling yourself that despite the countless fake (edit) psychics out there, she’s genuine, and if I ever met her in person, I’d see this immediately.

But from my perspective, you thinking that your wife really can communicate with the dead doesn’t suggest at all to me that she actually can.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I would like you to explain exactly who are the dead and what the grave represents in John 5:28
Actually, the word Jesus used means “tombs”....it’s more accurate than ‘grave’. As to who are in tombs, it’s obvious: those who have physically died, both those who were righteous and unrighteous.
John 5:28 Greek Text Analysis

What does Jesus mean in John 5:29,
"(They that have done good, unto the resurrection of life) What does this mean ?

( And they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation)
What does this mean ?
Most translations render it “the resurrection of judgement.” The Word here is “κρίσεως”, which means judgement.
John 5:29 and come out--those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.; John 5:29 Greek Text Analysis

Not judged on what they did in the past....death is the payment for sin, nothing else (Romans 6:23), so when one has physically died, he’s freed from his debt (Romans 6:7). They are only judged on what they do, from their resurrection, onward. If they don’t want to live under God’s rulership and accept Jesus’ sacrifice, then they will experience the second death. And be gone forever! — Revelation 20:13-14

I’m sure you see the need to know what these Bible-language words really mean.

Faithofchristian

Actually, the word Jesus used means “tombs”....it’s more accurate than ‘grave’. As to who are in tombs, it’s obvious: those who have physically died, both those who were righteous and unrighteous.
John 5:28 Greek Text Analysis

Most translations render it “the resurrection of judgement.” The Word here is “κρίσεως”, which means judgement.
John 5:29 and come out--those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.; John 5:29 Greek Text Analysis

Not judged on what they did in the past....death is the payment for sin, nothing else (Romans 6:23), so when one has physically died, he’s freed from his debt (Romans 6:7). They are only judged on what they do, from their resurrection, onward. If they don’t want to live under God’s rulership and accept Jesus’ sacrifice, then they will experience the second death. And be gone forever! — Revelation 20:13-14

I’m sure you see the need to know what these Bible-language words really mean.

Well you still didn't explain what the
( grave ) and ( Tomb) represents.
You believe Jesus is actually talking about an actual grave in the ground. Are you absolutely positive about this ?

Who are the dead ?

Romans 6:23--"For the wages of sin is death"
So who is death, What is Death name.
Who is he ?
Care to explain?

Last edited: