• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Just wanted to say thank you for the feedback yesterday on my video about religion.

My question for you guys is, do you believe there is life after death? If yes, tell me why. And if no, tell me why as well but explain to me on how you deal with knowing there is just this life and no other.

It's perhaps better to say from my perspective there is no lapse of 'life' in that what hasn't been born cannot be destroyed. Your body is like a car that you drive around until it gives up. You come back again if you need to or you stay in that form if you do not. However, I have no belief on these subjects just personal experiences. I really don't like the word belief because it implies that you accept some arbitrary conception outside of your experience. I don't operate that way. :D

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I think the only true death is that of a person's identity and ego. The person I am now will be gone forever and never ever come back once I die. Fineto.

If you really want to pounder on it, on the atomic-level, nothing's really ever affected aside from molecules coming apart and then rearranging back together into another form. I'm of the opinion life is cyclic we see new life emerge everyday as well as life dissipating everyday.

If there is no life after death, than it would have been completely impossible that we would be born in the first place. So I consider this life as being the afterlife.

The possibility of life will always exist as long provided conditions and circumstances are right for it whereas atoms and molecules rearrange to turn on the "lights".

I find comfort in that possibility aside from wondering what form this new being will take.
I'm not sure what this has to do with my post but okay. Lol

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
No one alive can tell you for sure, but I believe we are eternal beings. I have my experiences and reasonings. It never made sense to me that we live such short lives and just cease to exist after. But the idea that we are purely physical beings never made sense to me, either.
I agree. There is much more to human personality than we currently understand.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Its the great mystery. No one will ever convince me that intellect doesnt play a role in my existing; naturalism is highly sophisticated illogic i oppose. If intellect does create living creatures, then we all might live after death. I'm 50/50 on it.

It would be a beggars afterlife though. No heavenlies.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Just wanted to say thank you for the feedback yesterday on my video about religion.

My question for you guys is, do you believe there is life after death? If yes, tell me why. And if no, tell me why as well but explain to me on how you deal with knowing there is just this life and no other.
I can’t see how life after death could be a serious possibility. All evidence we have tells us that the mind is “what the brain does;” without the physical, how could there anything left that we could rightly call “us?”

As for “how I deal with this...” I’m not sure I understand the question. It just is what it is. You need to buy into the idea of an afterlife in the first place before the belief that there’s no afterlife feels like a loss you need to cope with.

Knowing that life is a finite resource encourages me not to waste it. Is that the sort of thing you’re getting at?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes. Why would God create us, without having in mind an eternal utopia in his direct presence?
But isn’t it also belief that, ultimately, God also created garbage, manure, pus, etc.? Is he going to preserve all that in Heaven too?

I believe there is eternal life for righteous, because:

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Hello Leonides,
My answer to your question is this. After my partner died, 21 months ago, my daughter suggested I met with some people she knew, members of a circle, mediums or spiritualists, not sure hoe they referred to themselves. After some time at this meeting, in a house, one particular woman said she was receiving very strong "messages". Eventually they became stronger and this woman told me I seemed very sad (message), okay fairly safe ground there as most visiting would have experienced grief. Then went onto say numbers 240 over and over, I then realised she was meaning 0240 or 2.40am. This was the exact time my partner took her last breath, then describing clothes I chose for her to wear in her coffin, clothes she never got the chance to wear. No,my daughter was unaware of these details so no collusion.
Later met with another woman who started this group but no longer a part of it. Met on 2 or 3 occasions. Message from a man I knew who died too young, also later my Father apologising, My Aunt referring to me looking after my Mother, a young child 3/4 with my aunt who was then picked up and passed to another older woman, my Grandmother. This woman ( medium) was describing their features so claimed to see them as well as hear them. I checked family history with my mother as I was confused. Thought I had twin cousins drowned very young. Told no, cousin was a 3 year old boy, twins born later to his parents.
Again my daughter did not even know this family history and I had even been mistaken yet all this information given to me was true.My Aunt, a Catholic all her life even laughed at one point saying " I never really believed in this".
This may not be the answer you were looking for in a religious context but I believe , yes there is something else after this life.After all, none of this complies with science or laws of nature so wether it is "heaven" or another plane I don`t know, may find out for myself one day.
P.S. I am now confused as unsure wether or not there is a "right" religion as my partner was an atheist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hello Leonides,
My answer to your question is this. After my partner died, 21 months ago, my daughter suggested I met with some people she knew, members of a circle, mediums or spiritualists, not sure hoe they referred to themselves. After some time at this meeting, in a house, one particular woman said she was receiving very strong "messages". Eventually they became stronger and this woman told me I seemed very sad (message), okay fairly safe ground there as most visiting would have experienced grief. Then went onto say numbers 240 over and over, I then realised she was meaning 0240 or 2.40am. This was the exact time my partner took her last breath, then describing clothes I chose for her to wear in her coffin, clothes she never got the chance to wear. No,my daughter was unaware of these details so no collusion.
Later met with another woman who started this group but no longer a part of it. Met on 2 or 3 occasions. Message from a man I knew who died too young, also later my Father apologising, My Aunt referring to me looking after my Mother, a young child 3/4 with my aunt who was then picked up and passed to another older woman, my Grandmother. This woman ( medium) was describing their features so claimed to see them as well as hear them. I checked family history with my mother as I was confused. Thought I had twin cousins drowned very young. Told no, cousin was a 3 year old boy, twins born later to his parents.
Again my daughter did not even know this family history and I had even been mistaken yet all this information given to me was true.My Aunt, a Catholic all her life even laughed at one point saying " I never really believed in this".
This may not be the answer you were looking for in a religious context but I believe , yes there is something else after this life.After all, none of this complies with science or laws of nature so wether it is "heaven" or another plane I don`t know, may find out for myself one day.
P.S. I am now confused as unsure wether or not there is a "right" religion as my partner was an atheist.
If this story is true, then shame on those people for manipulating a grieving person this way. I hope they didn’t charge you money for this.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I believe there is eternal life for righteous, because:

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46
Romans 3:10 (NET):
just as it is written:

“There is no one righteous, not even one,

Araceli Cianna

I don't know, but I live as if there isn't an afterlife. Also I ask myself, since I am an eclectic polytheist, if there was an afterlife, where would I go? Christians go to Heaven, Heathens go to Valhalla, Hindus eventually reach Moksha, and me? I have no idea. Or maybe there is all one place we end up. I haven't a clue. It's too much for my brain, so I just live here in this moment and hope I end up somewhere nice if there is a place after death, since I'm a relatively good person.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
hey Sheon,
you said:"... if there was an afterlife, where would I go?."
~
easy answer:"...to the Cosmos, where you began"

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Yes, I believe in life after death because I believe in Baha'u'llah. Also there is evidence in favor of it.

O My servants! Sorrow not if, in these days and on this earthly plane, things contrary to your wishes have been ordained and manifested by God, for days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for you. Worlds, holy and spiritually glorious, will be unveiled to your eyes. You are destined by Him, in this world and hereafter, to partake of their benefits, to share in their joys, and to obtain a portion of their sustaining grace. To each and every one of them you will, no doubt, attain.
(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 329)

As for people that don't believe in Baha'u'llah things are not as good, but they don't go to hell forever. Hell is distance from God. Everyone progresses in the next life. There are many worlds of God, there is not just one place. The afterlife is not boring like some pictures of the afterlife would have you believe. Where you start out in the next life depends on your faith and your conduct.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Being that my wife talks to dead people (and, trust me, I am as pragmatic and as skeptical as they come, but I have seen this first hand so I have become very open-minded) I have to say yes. We've have the orb experience as well. It's to the point that if I sense something I'll just ask her if we have "visitors" and move on. BTW, it's not as sensational and nowhere as scary as Hollywood would lead you to believe.

shmogie

I think the only true death is that of a person's identity and ego. The person I am now will be gone forever and never ever come back once I die. Fineto.

If you really want to pounder on it, on the atomic-level, nothing's really ever affected aside from molecules coming apart and then rearranging back together into another form. I'm of the opinion life is cyclic we see new life emerge everyday as well as life dissipating everyday.

If there is no life after death, than it would have been completely impossible that we would be born in the first place. So I consider this life as being the afterlife.

The possibility of life will always exist as long provided conditions and circumstances are right for it whereas atoms and molecules rearrange to turn on the "lights".

I find comfort in that possibility aside from wondering what form this new being will take.
There are thousands of documented NDE's. Most can be explained away in one way or another, many cannot. There are reports of experiences where what is reported could not have been known by the person reporting them. There are very serious scientists and physicians researching the phenomena, and most are convinced that consciousness survives in some form, after death. Is it temporary or permanent ? They have no conclusions.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

No, not really.

There are people who survive us - and in that sense, sure, there is life after our individual deaths. But each one of us does indeed die for good. Unless you want to consider cultural legacy a form of survival.

I guess I just got used from early on not to nurture a craving for immortality. It helps that I learned to appreciate how empty and fragile one's sense of self is.

Death is simply not to be feared.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Hello Leonides,

If this story is true, then shame on those people for manipulating a grieving person this way. I hope they didn’t charge you money for this.

My wife is a "receptive" for a better word. She has brought comfort to complete strangers that we meet from relatives who have passed. She has never met these folks but she relays information that only a loved one would know. Many times she has helped the ones who has passed understand that they are no longer living and it's ok to move on (many who pass too early seem to be more confused than hurting). This is a natural gift and, no, she would never charge anything for what she shares. And, before you ask, she won't let me sell tickets either.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My wife is a "receptive" for a better word. She has brought comfort to complete strangers that we meet from relatives who have passed. She has never met these folks but she relays information that only a loved one would know.
I presume that this information is never answers to specific, verifiable questions like “what’s the combination to the safe in your office? We’re trying to find your will - everything is frozen while we deal with disputes in probate and the family is really hurting financially.”

Many times she has helped the ones who has passed understand that they are no longer living and it's ok to move on (many who pass too early seem to be more confused than hurting). This is a natural gift and, no, she would never charge anything for what she shares. And, before you ask, she won't let me sell tickets either.
Of course, it’s possible for this sort of thing to be a scam even the “psychic” isn’t directly charging for their “services,” but I do acknowledge that some people do sincerely think they can talk to the dead. She may not be intentionally manipulating people.