• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a word?

WalterTrull

Godfella
Is there a word for intellectual idiocy? Well idiocy may be a bit strong. But you know: a hundred posts discussing the meaning of "is" inspires a need for a descriptive word. Any help?

sealchan

Is there a word for intellectual idiocy? Well idiocy may be a bit strong. But you know: a hundred posts discussing the meaning of "is" inspires a need for a descriptive word. Any help?

Intellectual idiocy is an oxymoron...but then I suppose that is what you are looking for a word that describes someone who sounds intellectual but isn't intelligent. Is that correct?

WalterTrull

Godfella
Intellectual idiocy is an oxymoron...but then I suppose that is what you are looking for a word that describes someone who sounds intellectual but isn't intelligent. Is that correct?
Well, maybe but not really. There are very bright and intellectual people who can get totally involved and easily sidetracked by an intellectual question that has nothing to do with the real world. I tend to think in terms of EHS (exploding head syndrome), but maybe someone has a better term.

What is it that the intelectual idiot said or did that made him thus?

And is he/she here to defend themselves?

sealchan

Well, maybe but not really. There are very bright and intellectual people who can get totally involved and easily sidetracked by an intellectual question that has nothing to do with the real world. I tend to think in terms of EHS (exploding head syndrome), but maybe someone has a better term.

Nerd?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm still trying to think what is the opposite term for idiot savant is.