• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a word for my beliefs?

I need a little help here, and I hope this is the right board to ask this on. Personally I believe in Jesus(as a human) and prophets of other religions. I believe that the various prophets(Jesus, Isaiah, Abhraham, Moses, Muhammad, etc.)were just the best and wisest of Mankind(or perhaps those that were more in tune with whatever is actually beyond the earthly realm.) Their purpose was to help guide humanity, give us guidelines and ideas of how we should live.

As far as God goes, I feel that I'm rather agnostic, as in there probably is a singular God who created everything, is omnipotent, etc. But I have a hard time believing that God exists in the way that most religions seem to view him. It seems arrogant to believe that God loves humans above all other living creatures and has any real interest in us as individuals.

I also believe in evolution or creationism. Science over dogma, etc.

Anyway..... my actual question, considering the above text, Am I a christian, a heretic, Is there a word for what I believe? Does one have to believe in God to be a Christian or am I looking at this in a too "black or white" way?:help:

Onkara

With respect I think your view might still be within Abrahamic boundaries based on your question of if you are a Christian or a heretic etc. There are more ways to find an answer. I suggest looking at Dharmic religions which can also accept Jesus and other human prophets but may not limit God or God's creation, which seems to be the area where you feel "restricted".

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I suggest looking at Dharmic religions which can also accept Jesus and other human prophets but may not limit God or God's creation, which seems to be the area where you feel "restricted".
Svaha. :yes: I wholeheartedly agree with Onkara here. Looking into Sikhism and Hinduism may be worth a shot.

However, it may be a good idea for you to look at the Bahá'í faith. It may be what you are interested in.

Oh, and welcome to RF. :)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello and Welcome to RF!

I agree with the above responses. Do some research into eastern God concepts and see is that fits more closely with your world view.

I will say thought that you should not feel pressured into fitting into a religious label- if truth makes itself known to you then great- but life is a journey of discovery and not all of us are meant to (or capable) of figuring things out from the get go.

Take your time, do research, use your intelligence, talk to people, experience life and the world, and one day you'll come to a conclusion. Just do the best you can, be the best you can, along the way!

St Giordano Bruno

I need a little help here, and I hope this is the right board to ask this on. Personally I believe in Jesus(as a human) and prophets of other religions. I believe that the various prophets(Jesus, Isaiah, Abhraham, Moses, Muhammad, etc.)were just the best and wisest of Mankind(or perhaps those that were more in tune with whatever is actually beyond the earthly realm.) Their purpose was to help guide humanity, give us guidelines and ideas of how we should live.

As far as God goes, I feel that I'm rather agnostic, as in there probably is a singular God who created everything, is omnipotent, etc. But I have a hard time believing that God exists in the way that most religions seem to view him. It seems arrogant to believe that God loves humans above all other living creatures and has any real interest in us as individuals.

Anyway..... my actual question, considering the above text, Am I a christian, a heretic, Is there a word for what I believe? Does one have to believe in God to be a Christian or am I looking at this in a too "black or white" way?:help:

I think you just said it didn't you "agnostic"

LivingVisionExperiment

LivingVisionExperiment
I appreciate your struggle, but in some ways, the question you are asking seems to be the wrong question. Why look for any label? To me, this is the problem with almost all forms of religious faith or spirituality - we are too words oriented. Take Christianity, for example, the faith I grew up with and still, by and large, embrace. Most Christians use words to define their faith - ie - to be a Christian, one "must" believe x, y, and z. Then over time, the words change meaning or lose meaning or mean different things to different Christians. Now I find myself in a situation where I no longer like to define myself as a Christian - NOT because of any problem with Jesus but because of the words that have sprung up around him. I talk about this more at length in my most recent book, The Way of Jesus: Re-Forming Spiritual Communities in a Post-Church Age. Labels and language are much more a part of the problem than the solution. Good luck!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There are many words, some almost esoteric in meaning, in this field. I would risk guessing that you are, among other things, an agnostic theist, or perhaps a deist.

But really, it is not worth letting simple (and somewhat simplistic) words trouble yourself much. Seek your beliefs, by all means, but don't think that there is anything worng with you just because you have a hard time finding someone else with quite the same beliefs. That is definitely normal and perhaps ven healthy overall.

Rakhel

You sound a lot like my daughter. She refuses to be identified with any religous group. She is willing to accept that there is a higher being, yet, is willing to accept scientific data.
Th only label is willing to accept, barely, is agnostic.

I agree that looking into the Baha'i Faith, Unitarian Universalism, as well as Sikhism or Hinduism would satisfy your inquiry.

I would say that UU, Sikhism or Hinduism would give you some more definition of an alternative world view of Abrahamic conceptions. :D They are actually refreshing!

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I would say Baha'i or Sikhism would be your two best options, based on the information you've given here. But don't limit yourself, or just accept a label. The most important thing is to be yourself. If you're in a category by yourself, stay with it. And, enjoy the journey. I know when I was seeking, the journey made me stressed out, partly because my views would sometimes change erratically, based on my circumstances. Take your time, and you'll find what you are looking for.