• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is there a warrior religion?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Either one.

Quenya is WHAT DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH WARRIOR RELIGIONS?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Beats me... you know how any thread can go off in any direction at any time. Like a squirrel running around looking for its stash of acorns.

OK, time to get the train back on the rails. ;)

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
If it helps a lot of Samurai practiced Shinto but as far as I know it does not accept offensive warfare

Treks

A bit late to the party but I'd suggest Sikhism as a religion this fellow might explore (if he ever comes back). Initiation into Sikhism is literally putting aside your own identity to take up the uniform of the Khalsa (pure) army. Literally, in 1699 Guru Gobind Singh (10th and last human Sikh Guru) was fighting wars against the invading Moghul army and his raised his own army to fight them, initiating his Sikhs into the army complete with uniform (turban, sword, wrist protection, shorts [gotta maintain your dignitiy on the battlefield], and a comb in your turban to take care of uncut hair).

The Sikhs fought many battles and stood up to defend those who couldn't (and can't) defend themselves.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Guru Tegh Bahadur ji the Ninth Sikh Guru made supereme sacrifice to protect Hindus who were forced to convert by Mughal empire .

ਤਿਲਕ ਜੰਵੂ ਰਾਖਾ ਪ੝ਰਭ ਤਾ ਕਾ ॥ ਕੀਨੋ ਬਡੋ ਕਲੂ ਮਹਿ ਸਾਕਾ ॥
He protected the forehead mark and sacred thread (of the Hindus) which marked a great event in the Iron age.

ਸਾਧਨ ਹੇਤਿ ਇਤੀ ਜਿਨਿ ਕਰੀ ॥ ਸੀਸ੝ ਦੀਆ ਪਰ ਸੀ ਨ ਉਚਰੀ ॥੧੩॥
For the sake of saints, he laid down his head without even a sign.13.

ਧਰਮ ਹੇਤਿ ਸਾਕਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਕੀਆ ॥ ਸੀਸ੝ ਦੀਆ ਪਰ ਸਿਰਰ੝ ਨ ਦੀਆ ॥
For the sake of Dharma, he sacrificed himself. He laid down his head but not his creed.

Then Tenth Guru created 'Khalsa" the Army of Akaal ,

CHUN KAR AZ HAMEH HEELAT-E DAR GUZASHT HALAL AST BURDAN B-SHAMSHIR DAST
"All modes of redressing the wrong having failed, raising of sword is pious and just."

Treks ji ready for Vaisakhi ,its on 13 april ?.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa
Waheguru ji ki Fateh

:sikh:

Last edited:

WyattDerp

In September [2002] the government announced the national security strategy. That is not completely without precedent, but it is quite new as a formulation of state policy. What is stated is that we are tearing the entire system of the international law to shreds, the end of UN charter, and that we are going to carry out an aggressive war - which we will call "preventive" - and at any time we choose, and that we will rule the world by force. In addition, we will assure that there is never any challenge to our domination because we are so overwhelmingly powerful in military force that we will simply crush any potential challenge. That caused shudders around the world, including the foreign policy elite at home which was appalled by this. It is not that things like that haven't been heard in the past. Of course they had, but it had never been formulated as an official national policy. I suspect you will have to go back to Hitler to find an analogy to that.

Now, when you propose new norms in the international behavior and new policies you have to illustrate it, you have to get people to understand that you mean it. Also you have to have what a Harvard historian called an "exemplary war", a war of example, which shows that we really mean what we say. And we have to choose the right target. The target has to have several properties. First it has to be completely defenseless. No one would attack anybody who might be able to defend themselves, that would be not prudent. Iraq meets that perfectly... And secondly, it has to be important. So there will be no point invading Burundi, for example. It has to be a country worthwhile controlling, owning, and Iraq has that property too.
-- Noam Chomsky, "Interview by Atilio Borón, Argentina, June 14, 2003"

Good luck combining the reality of the matter with some idea of being a proud warrior. That said, maybe some of the more actively "dark" forms of Satanism have something for you. Though I'm not sure how well that flows with taking orders.. but then there's also that Riddick movie with these guys:

riddick24.jpg

You can also find inspiring words in "Nineteen-Eightyfour", when the party member preaches to Winston about power and control.

Last edited:

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Hinduism and Sikhism are two warrior religion and that is why they still survive. Both religion have a long history of war against Mugal Invaders.

First off im new I already introduced myself in the intro. Forum, im a quest on finding my own path, so far the one that makes the most sense to me is Taoism, but so far as i can tell "the way" doesn't favor the offensive side of violence but more of self defense. So with that being in mind what religion if any supports the warrior mindset of dedication of the purification of the offensive side of violence to defeat or protect the unprotected against what he/she believe to be evil and his or her people to believe is evil?

Hinduism has a Warrior Class called Ksatriya.

Erebus

Well, European martial arts were developed with defense in mind, but not with the same sort of spirit as Asian martial arts; any spirituality European martial arts had likely died off with the native religions. The only survivor that I'm aware of is Germanic religion, which thankfully survived quite coherently through the ages.

The documentary Reclaiming the Blade put it very well. The samurai put his soul into his sword, whereas the knight put his sword into the other guy.

Depends how you want to define martial arts really. Europe developed various styles of combat with the sword, axe, halberd, dirk, lance... there seems to be a theme of pointy objects developing here.

As for warrior religions, perhaps have a look at various ancient religions. Pretty much every nation had some form of group and/or god devoted to combat. The question is are you more interested in Spartans, Samurai, Berserkers or Knights? ;)
Honestly, google "war gods" and you'll find a lot of different customs and cultures to look through.

egcroc

we're all stardust
First off im new I already introduced myself in the intro. Forum, im a quest on finding my own path, so far the one that makes the most sense to me is Taoism, but so far as i can tell "the way" doesn't favor the offensive side of violence but more of self defense. So with that being in mind what religion if any supports the warrior mindset of dedication of the purification of the offensive side of violence to defeat or protect the unprotected against what he/she believe to be evil and his or her people to believe is evil?

seems to me like you're talking about islamic jihad..

mimpibird39

So Many Gods!
Paganism leaves a lot of room for creating a warrior focused religion/religious path. (Neo)paganism does not have to be all about nature. Nature doesn't even have to be included at all in your path. You can find a war deity you connect with and worship that deity for example. I would look at Norse, Roman, Greek and Egyptian paths.

Mars (god of war) was a very important deity in Ancient Rome. He was seen as the father of Rome due to his mythology that he was the father of Romulus and Remus. He had many other roles besides just those related to war. The wikipedia page has an interesting bit of info about him. "...Mars represented military power as a way to secure peace..." Mars also symbolized peace through military power it seems.

Kemetism (Egyptian) has the idea of Ma'at. Ma'at is both a goddess and the idea of justice and balance. Here's an interesting myth involving Ma'at: One day Ra was upset that people were not following Ma'at (justice and balance) so he sent Sekhmet out to cause some damage. Eventually Ra saw that Sekhmet had done enough damage and tells her to stop but she doesn't listen. So, in order to stop her she is tricked. Sekhmet ends up drinking what she thought was blood but turned out to be beer. She got really drunk and slept for three days. When she woke up she did not feel like killing everyone any more. Sekhmet, along with a number of other goddesses, gets referred to as the "Eye of Ra". The Eye of Ra is something like a warrior for Ma'at. A warrior for justice. A warrior for the restoration of balance.

biased

Historically speaking there are several aggressive religious conquests mostly from Islam but there were also the Crusades. So perhaps Islam and Christianity? The latter I'm more skeptical of but I'm more ignorant of Islam. So take it for what you will.