1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Is there a war on Christianity in America's Left?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by IndigoChild5559, Apr 28, 2019.

1. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Religion:
    Christian
    The Temple was destroyed in 70 AD.. and will be no more.. Jesus is the Temple now.

The Gentiles did trample Jerusalem and the Temple for 42 months starting in 66 AD..

Scofield had screwed you.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Religion:
    Seiðmaðr
    If you're asking if I know and understand what it takes to plan a large multi-level logistical outing invloving a large number of people/kids/days/prep/ events and oversight, then yes. If you're asking if I work with the BSA, then no.

Edit: I ask again, what skills mastery is a girl going to learn that isn't applicable to boys?
    Edit2: Here are the skills. Life Skills - Girl Scouts.

#202 The Hammer, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  3. Faithofchristian

Faithofchristian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +503
    Religion:
    Christian
    Your way off, good luck on that one, you will need it.
    Seeing you haven't a clue or idea what the book of Revelation is about or Confirm's

Can you explain when Revelation 21:22 happens, let's see if your just as wrong on this, As you were wrong on everything else.

4. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,188
    Religion:
    Methodist
    I have never felt that my personal beliefs were under any threat. Well, except by others that claim to be Christian too. Apparently, it is OK with other Christians that you are Christian, but it has to be the right kind.

When you have been running in first place for hundreds of years, having the other runners on the field get neck and neck with you, might seem like there is a war on for some.

• Like Like x 6
  5. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,481
    Religion:
    Atheist
    So...assuming you read my whole post...my point wasn't 'why are you concerned', but why Christians? Why not people? Which includes Christians.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat

Ratings:
    +7,481
    Religion:
    Atheist
    @Shiranui117
    Sorry...there was a major system failure with Aussie customs yesterday, so getting back in the country from a business trip in Singapore turned into a saga!!

I meant to say as follows;

I find the term Easter Worshippers pretty strange.
    The people killed weren't all Christians, and it wasn't only churches that were attacked. So if they removed religion references entirely when talking about ALL victims, I'd probably give it a pass.

But...the attacks were clearly done with Christians a focus. And calling them Easter Worshippers doesn't allow for the non Christians anyway. Seems like ridiculous reporting to me.

7. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Riboflavin

Ratings:
    +12,685
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    You don't worship on Passover?

"Passover worshipper" = "worshipper participating in a Passover service"

"Easter worshipper" = "worshipper participating in an Easter service"

Seriously - this isn't that hard to comprehend. Do you also think that the "Mother's Day brunch crowd" eats Mother's Day at brunch, or that "Halloween trick-or-treaters" go door to door asking for Halloweens?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat

Ratings:
    +7,481
    Religion:
    Atheist
    This is actually an interesting perspective. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Not banned yet.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +40,299
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    And yet, Christians cannot agree on things like abortion, killing, taxation, marital
    fidelity, war, etc, etc. Their opinions are of such great diversity that this means
    their scripture gives great room for subjective interpretation. And that's just one
    of many religions, none of which can claim to be objectively true.

• Like Like x 1
  10. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +718
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I do not personally feel like a victim 99% of the time. Someone pushes me, I push back. My attitude is that if someone oppresses me, I'll try twice as hard, flipping them the bird.

But there are times I'm shocked out of that comfort zone. Times when I get scared. There are times when I've been accosted on the street for being a Jew, and I've wondered if I was going to get beat up. I have memories of being molested, which I don't usually remember, but when I do, they still make me sick. I think of Saturday's synagogue shooting, not an hour away from me, and realize that could have been my synagogue. Heck I moved where I am now because where I was before? Two Jews were shot going to morning prayers at the synagogue just down the street. The truth is, I'm not safe, and I simply prefer not to think about it.

Okay, going back into the "not thinking about it' mode.

11. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +718
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I didn't say I don't do liturgy on Passover. I am saying it is not appropriate to refer to me as a Passover worshiper. I'm a Jew.

And they are Christians.

12. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +718
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I am concerned about many things. But this thread is specific to the war on Christians.

13. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +718
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Why would you make this remark?

14. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Riboflavin

Ratings:
    +12,685
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. Someone who participates in worship as part of a Passover service is a Passover worshipper.

Edit: you said that you aren't a Passover worshipper... i.e. someone who worships on Passover.
    ... as evidenced by the fact that they make a point of worshipping on Easter.

• Like Like x 2
  15. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat

Ratings:
    +7,481
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Right, but you chose to respond to me only about one point (my suggestion that oppressive regimes oppress people), and none of my other thoughts.

I mean, we can just hit reset, and recalibrate on the OP if you like.

What is the war on Christians, and who perpetrates it to your mind?
    Why is the word 'war' appropriate?
    What does persecute mean?

That would be my three questions.

16. Left Coast

Left Coast Active Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +412
    Religion:
    None
    Then you're not paying attention.

Cenk Ugyur/TYT, Sam Seder, David Pakman, Thom Hartmann, politicians like Bernie Sanders, etc. Progressives oppose fundamentalism from every religion. We just happen to have mostly Christian fundamentalists in this country, so progressives talk the most about them.

Being opposed to fundamentalism does not mean tolerating any ignorant negative comment a person makes about a religion. So if Harris or Dawkins said something unfair or inaccurate about Islam, then they should have been criticized.

17. Oeste

Oeste Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +385
    Religion:
    Christian
    He didn't refer to "Christians" at all. He referred to churches instead.

Nah. What YOU did was weird. You referred to Easter as an "euphenism".

ScreenCap143.jpg
    Well at least we're in agreement there.

Easter, sometimes referred to as Pascha or Resurrection Sunday, is the holiest day on the Christian calendar. Their is nothing "unpleasant" or "embarrassing" about it, and I wish the politically indoctrinated religious right would stop acting as if they were. If you are ashamed of Christ, Christ will be ashamed of you:

If anyone is ashamed of me and my message, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in his glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels. (Luke 9:26)

Easter is not an euphemism but a commonly used synonym for Resurrection Sunday, properly referred to as such by Obama and Clinton. While you might be excused @IndigoChild5559. I expect my fellow Christians here (well most...JW's excluded) to embrace Easter, not run away from it or call a reference to it "weird". Since when did Easter become weird? Was it officially weird before or after Obama pronounced it?

This whole thread is a nonsensical, wholly unnecessary attack on the the body of Christ, which is not divided into "right" and "left" wing Christians.

18. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,325
    Religion:
    Catholic

"The attacks on tourists and Easter worshippers in Sri Lanka are an attack on humanity," Obama tweeted on Easter Sunday.

"On a day devoted to love, redemption, and renewal, we pray for the victims and stand with the people of Sri Lanka."

If there is any embarrassment caused by the using the word Christian, its because so many 'Christians' have twisted it and turned it into a weapon against others.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,325
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Absolutely. I was a den mother and my son is an Eagle Scout. Our troop met in the Temple, the leader was Jewish. The religious badge was required but no religion specified.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,285
    Religion:
    None
    It shows how far one has to reach to find
    examples of anti christian persecution.

• Winner Winner x 2