• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a temple of Science?

siti

The temple of science is the laboratory* - and the only "articles of faith" are to question, doubt and test every idea.

*with the rider that the "laboratory" need not necessarily be an enclosed part of a building with benches and test tubes and petri dishes etc., but could just as well be a lake, an ecosystem, a planet or the entire universe - anywhere where experiments and observations are made to test and question our ideas about how reality works.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Institutions like CERN, the Perimeter institute, the Planck foundation etc where scientist gather and push the boundaries of knowledge are about as close as you'll get to a temple of science.

gnostic

The Lost One
I think the OP is trying to claim that science is a religion that you put faith into because they want to pull science down to their religion's level.
To the level of dishonest ignorance and utter stupidity?

Well, yes, Ahmadiyya have done that quite well...thanks to paarsurrey.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Faith and worship have nothing to do with science, so no.
Is it from science? If yes, please quote from a text book of science or from a peer-reviewed article published in a science journal of repute, else it is just out of conjecture. Right? Please

Regards

gnostic

The Lost One
Is it from science? If yes, please quote from a text book of science or from a peer-reviewed article published in a science journal of repute, else it is just out of conjecture. Right?
No. You're wrong.

The conjecture is the disingenuous OP question of yours.

You demand quote from science sources, but you don't even bother to learn science yourself.

I have remembered that you have no education in science at school, and yet you have the balls to lecture other about what is or isn't conjecture.

Take your own advice, paarsurrey. Crack open a textbook, and read and learn what the books are saying. Ask questions if you don't understand something. Only then you will learn.

You are disingenuous and dishonest, paarsurrey.

What you don't do, is to pretend to "know" science (when you really don't) and lecture us what is science.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the OP is trying to claim that science is a religion that you put faith into because they want to pull science down to their religion's level.

Oh, I'm generally aware of the agenda. It's unfortunate that a topic for which there's something to it ends up getting usurped by questionable agendas. The questions might be interesting if it weren't for that.

Still, I'd be careful about putting "science" on a pedestal with the words used here. It helps prove some points that we might rather not be proven.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Science does not deserve to be pulled to the level of a revealed religion. Does it? Please
Regards
Rather the other way around... revealed religion would need a lot of achievements before it could begin to look halfway as respectable as science. And that is just not likely to ever happen.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Absolutely NOT! One of the chief obligations of science is to challenge everything. The only "faith" anyone has in science in the method of science itself.
Does science ever challenge anybody?It it does, then does one agree that its first letter should be capitalized? Please
Regards

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
When people have faith in a tool that it could do, or just out of superstition, that it can do which is not possible for it to accomplish, then there is no harm in capitalizing its first letter as they give it more power/reverence that is due. Please
Regards

Again, why would anyone need to have faith in something that can be confirmed and verified?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
One may like to read post #4 from our friend Nakosis . So , one was was wrong. Right? Please
Regards

As others have already pointed out, this is a movement similar to the "Nation of Islam". Despite the name, it's far from being scientific.

You flail about as you grasp for straws in futile desperation, son.