• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a religion or denomination that fits me?

Wolfborne

Vanguard
I am 37, grew up as a Southern Baptist, but have been having mixed feelings about religion and my faith. I seek knowledge and wisdom, and as a student of history, I use that to try and find FACTS not fiction. Many times it means diving into different languages and spending countless hours translating. Anyway, this is what I believe and/or know:

1. I believe in God. This is the same God that Christians and Jews believe in.
2. I am unsure about the big bang, evolution, or creationism. Whatever the path, God started it. His laws of nature dictate life.
3. Jesus was a teacher and a prophet. I am unsure if he was the son of God. Christians and Jews debate his divinity.
4. I believe in an afterlife, albeit maybe not "heaven." The human lifeforce is a form of energy, and energy can't be destroyed.
5. I know for a fact that the Bible contains errors and contradictions.
6. Humans are inherently evil by nature. We are so quick to turn on one another. We also have free will. Bad things happen to good people because someone else made a choice to do something.
7. I know that the Bible is not meant to be literal in every aspect. Nor is it a "history textbook."
8. Early humans could not comprehend many things that science can now explain (they would view them as miracles).
9. I do believe in miracles. I also believe in the supernatural as well as alien life on other planets.
10. I get tired of clergymen that take a verse out of context and twist it to illustrate a point they are trying to make.

What the heck am I other than lost and confused? :confused:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Well for starters, I recommend the Belief-O-Matic or the Select Smart version of it (which does NOT require an e-mail for results). I don't recommend it because the quiz is some great tool, but because it force you think about some of the more tedious things about religion: What is the nature of God? What is evil? What is the way to salvation?

A lot of the things you've listed aren't dependent on religion; I know many religious people, from all types of religions, who fully participate in critical Bible study and embrace science.

My advice to you is to take stock of what you believe about God, life, suffering, man's purpose on earth, etc., and make a detailed list. Then you'll be better prepared to start examining belief systems in order to see how you fit within them.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I got 87% for my patron belief system (Taoism), 100% for Unitarian and Mahayana Buddhism, followed by 98% Liberal Quaker, then Paganism, Hinduism, and Sikhism.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I am 37, grew up as a Southern Baptist, but have been having mixed feelings about religion and my faith. I seek knowledge and wisdom, and as a student of history, I use that to try and find FACTS not fiction. Many times it means diving into different languages and spending countless hours translating.
I suspect that since you grew up as a Southern Baptist, your opinion of Mormonism is probably pretty firm and pretty negative. On the off-chance, though, that you're really willing to explore all avenues in finding a path to follow, I'm going to respond to each of your points since many of them parallel Mormonism. :)eek: Yeah, I know. ;))

Anyway, this is what I believe and/or know:

So do Mormons. However, I'm sure you realize that while most Christians believe in a triune God (as defined at Nicea in 325 A.D), Jews find that belief nothing short of heretical. Mormons believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost, but reject the wording of the Nicene Creed.

2. I am unsure about the big bang, evolution, or creationism. Whatever the path, God started it. His laws of nature dictate life.
Mormonism affirms your belief that "God started it [and that] His laws of nature dictate life." We have no official teaching as to the age of the earth, but I'd say that most of us today believe in a very old earth and some degree of evolution (specific beliefs of individual Mormons may vary).

3. Jesus was a teacher and a prophet. I am unsure if he was the son of God. Christians and Jews debate his divinity.
Actually, I'd say that the vast, vast majority of Christians believe Jesus was the Son of God and that the vast, vast majority of Jews deny this. Mormonism teaches that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God. Incidentally, I think that if you are unsure as to whether or not Jesus Christ was the Only Begotten Son of God, that you also consider looking into Unitarian Universalism.

4. I believe in an afterlife, albeit maybe not "heaven." The human lifeforce is a form of energy, and energy can't be destroyed.
We do believe in Heaven, not so much in Hell (at least not in a place of eternal suffering where everybody except for the "right kind of Christians" are going to end up. Unlike most of the Abrahamic faiths, we also believe that the human lifeforce can neither be created nor destroyed.

We love the Bible and use it in our worship services, but we readily acknowledge that it does, in fact, contain errors and that it is not the sole source of God's dealings with humankind.

6. Humans are inherently evil by nature. We are so quick to turn on one another. We also have free will. Bad things happen to good people because someone else made a choice to do something.
That's essentially identical to our belief.

7. I know that the Bible is not meant to be literal in every aspect. Nor is it a "history textbook."
Mormons would agree wholeheartedly.

8. Early humans could not comprehend many things that science can now explain (they would view them as miracles).
Agreed.

9. I do believe in miracles. I also believe in the supernatural as well as alien life on other planets.
With respect to miracles, we believe in them, too. We also believe that God has created worlds without number and that Earth and its inhabitants are only one segment of His creations.

10. I get tired of clergymen that take a verse out of context and twist it to illustrate a point they are trying to make.
Who doesn't? ;)

Sounds to me like you're seeking, and that's a good thing. Good luck in your search. :)

Last edited:

Brinne

Have you looked into the more liberal sects of Christianity? Specifically the non-trinitarian ones? From what I've read Unitarian Universalists share somewhat similar views though they don't really have a strict set of Church laws that everybody must follow so it is pretty flexible.

The Baha'i faith is pretty interesting as well, from what I've seen in interviews and articles they believe science and religion can coexist, that there is one god, and that many of the prophets and important religious figures are all messengers from the one God. Somewhat liberal when it comes to social issues as well, though I've heard they're not to keen on homosexuality (if that affects your decision.)

In accordance with your Belief-O-Matic results I highly recommend Ahmadiyya Islam since they seem to be more open to accepting scientific explanations. Though, unfortunately, Islamic Centers for the Ahmadiyya sect might be hard for you to find.

I wish you the best of luck. I too am a seeker and I know how frustrating it can be at times but it will be worth it in the end. :)

I myself attend a Unitarian Universalist congregation (as a UU Hindu), but perhaps you could study New Thought (specifically Unity School of Christianity)? It may be too agey, and goes against your idea that human beings are inherently evil... but it shares the rest of what you've listed thus far. They believe in One God (pantheistic or panentheistic), see Jesus as a teacher, energy, a metaphysical interpretation of the Bible, as well as the science of miracles.

As Tarheeler did say, many of the things you've listed are not dependent on any religion, and you can still engage yourself as a Christian, albeit outside the box.

Unitarian Universalism is a religion of free thinkers, but we share common values called the Seven Principles. If you feel that a liberal religion is for you, perhaps this tradition may speak to you, and if not, I pray that you will find fulfilment in your search for belonging!

moegypt

I am 37, grew up as a Southern Baptist, but have been having mixed feelings about religion and my faith. I seek knowledge and wisdom, and as a student of history, I use that to try and find FACTS not fiction. Many times it means diving into different languages and spending countless hours translating. Anyway, this is what I believe and/or know:

For Number 5, The God sent the prophet Mohamed to correct the way. As you know, muslims' God is the same christians and Jews God..