• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a moral obligation to tell the truth when speaking to the news media?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Some will be quick to point out that there is no law against lying to the press. And that is true. But what about morality, integrity? Do theses things not matter in the era of Trump?

Corey Lewandowski said in his Congressional testimony:
“I have no obligation to be honest with the media,"

Does he? Does anyone?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Some will be quick to point out that there is no law against lying to the press. And that is true. But what about morality, integrity? Do theses things not matter in the era of Trump?

Does he? Does anyone?

Media or joe bloggs, honesty is the only way.

Komori

He said, "I have no obligation to be honest with the media because they are just as dishonest as everybody else," and he's certainly not wrong about the second part.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
and he's certainly not wrong about the second part.
I don’t agree with his (or your) assessment of the media, but I won’t argue that with you because I don’t think it is relevant.

Do you think it is relevant? Does the perceived dishonesty of the media justify Lewandowski’s lie?

Do we have a moral obligation to be honest to everyone? Or is it ok to lie to those we don’t think are honest?

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Does he? Does anyone?

No

Heyo

Veteran Member
When he thinks that "the media" isn't a trustworthy vehicle to convey his message, he shouldn't use "the media".

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Does he? Does anyone?
Well as long as you're honest about it.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Obviously not, and if you're dealing with people who aren't going to honestly represent your words, that's a moral grey area.
Really? How does that work? Lewandowski lies because he thinks they are going to misrepresent him? This is total nonsense. There is no grey area in this situation.

Lewandowski lied to cover up an attempted obstruction of justice. He lied because the truth in this situation would look bad for him and for Trump.

The suggestion that this can be justified because he though Ari Melber might misrepresenting him is beyond pathetic.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Well as long as you're honest about it.
Can you imagine Lewandowski being interviewed for his Congressional run now?

The fist question an interviewer should ask him is “Are you going to lie to me in this interview?

The second question should be “Is that answer a lie?”

And the third question should be “Why are you still here?”

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Depends for the circumstance.
I believe being honest is the correct moral decision in 99.99% of circumstances, but there are times were lying is entirely morally defensible.

Perhaps a conditional rule for elected officials could be allowed.

There are occasions where honesty &
candor don't achieve the greater good.
But it's a wonderful default approach.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule, and situations where lying is not only acceptable but necessary.

Do either of you believe the lie Lewandowski told to Melber qualifies as a legitimate exception?