• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a Jewish style of Music?

Ellen Brown

I was afraid to put this in one of the Jewish Directories because I couldn't bear offending anyone.

Listening to Leonard Cohen, his music has a unique style and I wonder if it can be attributed to his Jewish background?

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
The most stereotypical style of Jewish music is Klezmer (which I love a lot personally) but there is quite a diverse range of other styles.

The Wiki has a preliminary page that may be of use for an overview: Jewish music - Wikipedia

Skwim

Veteran Member
I was afraid to put this in one of the Jewish Directories because I couldn't bear offending anyone.

Listening to Leonard Cohen, his music has a unique style and I wonder if it can be attributed to his Jewish background?
How about Bob Dylan he was a Jew with a unique style.

Then there's this:

Cooky

Veteran Member

I LOVE Jewish music! :)

whirlingmerc

Often Jewish music is in a minor key, but... it's a pretty broad category of music.

I think of the Psalms as mostly laments and so a minor key goes along with that

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
A genre is defined by a distinct sound and style. Naming off random Jewish performers with very dissimilar material doesn't really help narrow it down.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

There are certainly Jewish styles, plural. You have Jewish music that comes out of Persia, the Middle East, Sephardic tradition, and Ashkenazik tradition, and then you have some modern stuff that has a certain common feel such as Debbie Freidman's music. When most people think of Jewish music, they are thinking of the the music from the Ashkenasik tradition, which is in a certain modes. Certainly most Jewish songs tend to be in harmonic minor keys. Don't quote me on this, but I *think* it's harmonic minor mode 5.

Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory, certainly draws on his Jewish tradition, but not from the musical scale. I get goosebumps listening to "You Want It Darker (Hineni)." At the end of the song, of course, you hear a Jewish cantor canting Hineni. Hineni is Hebrew for "I am here." It is from the part of Genesis 22 where God is about to test Abraham by asking him to sacrifice Isaac. He says to him, "Abraham," and Abraham answers, "Hineni, I am here." In other places of the song, the lyrics quote from the Kaddish, the Jewish prayer for the dead, "Magnified, sanctified, be thy holy name." "You Want It Darker (Hineni)," is of course a song he wrote just prior to his death. He will be sorely missed.

Last edited: