• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a difference between Paul's and Jesus' Teachings?

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Do you feel that there are discrepancies Paul's and Jesus' Teachings?

If yes, then plz give examples...

CynthiaCypher

Jesus pretty much was a apocalyptic preacher, which believed that the world was going to end soon. Paul while he did believe that the world was ending too also taught that salvation through belief in the death and resurrection of Jesus, something Jesus never taught

Trey of Diamonds

We don't know exactly what Jesus taught, only his disciples interpretations of what he taught. Add to that the fact that Paul never met the man and you have an interpretation of various interpretations.

Is there a difference? Of course. What is the difference? We'll never know.

arcanum

Paul, who never met Jesus, never quotes a word that Jesus ever said nor does he reference much of anything at all from his life on earth. Which is very suspicious, why? Anyways Paul seems to have been well versed in the mystery religions of his day and some say he invented a new religion by grafting the personage of Jesus onto the mystery religions of his day. This is a topic of debate ofcourse but I don't believe the two theologies mesh as nicely as proponents claim. Paul's Jesus is a heavenly Christ figure, while to Jesus brother James, the successor of the Jerusalem church, he may have been something entirely different.

CynthiaCypher

I'd like someone to reference one thing written by Paul quoting the words of Jesus.

Okie dokie.

1 Corinthians 11:23-25

23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

outhouse

Atheistically
Okie dokie.

1 Corinthians 11:23-25

23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

this only states he recieved the "saying" from the lord :facepalm:

paul never met jesus alive.

he does claim to have heard/seen him in the spiritual mystical sense though [supernatural]

outhouse

Atheistically

yes their were, paul took the christian movement and headed it into the direction he wanted.

[my opinion only]
how close to jesus movement it was we wont know, but there is a pretty big difference. he wanted to open it up to gentiles more so then jesus, he made it more roman friendly and hid alot of the corruption going on in the jewish governement. He downplayed how much jesus wanted to reform the religion of judaism and HE is personaly responsible for the popularity of the new and needed religion in the area, he laid the foundation of what was top be the most popular religion in the world.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I'd like someone to reference one thing written by Paul quoting the words of Jesus.

Paul's teaching about divorce. Paul, in 1 Corinthians 7, quotes Jesus about divorce (we in fact also have an account of Jesus saying this in the Gospels).

It doesn't matter that Paul didn't mean Jesus. Paul had access to James, the brother of Jesus, as well as Peter, the a head disciple of Jesus. In fact, Paul tells us that he met with Peter, and spent time learning from him. So Paul had great sources.

CynthiaCypher

this only states he recieved the "saying" from the lord :facepalm:

paul never met jesus alive.

he does claim to have heard/seen him in the spiritual mystical sense though [supernatural]

Did I say Paul met Jesus. Someone said Paul never once quoted Jesus and I showed otherwise.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

There are going to be differences. Partially this is because Paul taught about something Jesus couldn't, the death of Jesus.

However, I have to disagree with individuals who say that Paul just ran wild with the message of Jesus and took it where he wanted. I think that really misses a very important aspect of the story that Paul tells us.

Paul, as well as the account in Acts, tell us that James, Peter, and John, were the pillars of the Jerusalem church. This is the church that took over the movement that Jesus started, after he died. This was the leading organization. If one was rejected from this church, they would loose any authority they may have had.

Paul submits to this church. Yes, there are some disagreements between Paul and the Jerusalem church; however, Paul submits to the ruling of the Jerusalem church. And from what we can see, the Jerusalem church supported the mission of Paul.

With that said, we can be fairly certain that Paul was teaching along the same lines of Jesus.

outhouse

Atheistically
when jesus was alive paul would have been a direct enemy to jesus.

to claim the enemy of jesus would preach along the same lines is simply laughable.

jesus wanted to reform the religion because of the roman infection to its jewish government. Paul was everything jesus hated, a roman first, and a Pharisee who its obvious had differences with jesus original teachings.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Some of what Paul wrote in his letters were from his own belief system and cultural things. Things such as women not having short hair and men not having long hair is an example of cultural things (at least I would assume)- and Paul doesn't say it is a teaching from Jesus. Paul was the first evangelist, but he never says his teaching trump Jesus' and the man probably never thought his letters were to someday be included in some collection and considered holy works. That is why I read Paul's writing with a grain a salt. I don't dismiss them all together, either.

CynthiaCypher

when jesus was alive paul would have been a direct enemy to jesus.

to claim the enemy of jesus would preach along the same lines is simply laughable.

jesus wanted to reform the religion because of the roman infection to its jewish government. Paul was everything jesus hated, a roman first, and a Pharisee who its obvious had differences with jesus original teachings.

Besides the death and resurrection thing...what were the differences in their teachings? They were both apocalyptic and not only that while Paul rarely quotes Jesus directly he definitely alludes to Jesus like Paul's don't return evil for evil teaching, that's pretty much part of JC's teachings too

outhouse

Atheistically
Besides the death and resurrection thing...what were the differences in their teachings? They were both apocalyptic and not only that while Paul rarely quotes Jesus directly he definitely alludes to Jesus like Paul's don't return evil for evil teaching, that's pretty much part of JC's teachings too

does or does not paul preach of a spiritual/supernatural jesus?