• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a command for forgiveness in Hinduism?

Guys, a relative of mine is not all that religious but does have a yearly Pooja at his home and celebrates Divali at his home, that's about it. He doesn't have the capacity to forgive people and also he is racist.

Jehovah has specific commands for forgiveness and loving thy neighbor as thyself. Is there an equivalent in Hinduism for these two issues or to ask another way, can someone be a real Hindu if they don't practice both please?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Guys, a relative of mine is not all that religious but does have a yearly Pooja at his home and celebrates Divali at his home, that's about it. He doesn't have the capacity to forgive people and also he is racist.

Jehovah has specific commands for forgiveness and loving thy neighbor as thyself. Is there an equivalent in Hinduism for these two issues or to ask another way, can someone be a real Hindu if they don't practice both please?

There are no 'commands' in Hinduism, just suggestions and wisdom. Sounds like your friend's challenge is soul immaturity. He is what he is, and without real details it's really hard to determine much at all The ability to forgive, for example, is related to the nature of the action against him. Raping and killing his wife is different than stealing a cookie from the cookie jar.

In Hinduism, we try, through observation and insight, to decide how we should act towards other individuals, as to what is best for them, not what is best for us.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So is it right for a person with such thinking and lifestyle to claim he is Hindu or rather what exactly makes a person Hindu?

In all faiths we have people who make claims and others saying 'Oh he/she isn't a real ________ (insert any religion in the blank). In Islam the more radical guys say the liberals aren't real Muslims. and the liberal folks saying ISIS, the Taliban, etc. and others aren't real Muslims. In Christianity there are many churches and denominations that claim their particular branch is the only true Christian Church, and all others aren't real Christians.

So there is some degree of narrow village mentality in all of this, regardless of faith. Hypocrisy is all over as well.

Besides that, in all faiths we have a wide range of religiosity. In Hinduism that can vary from twice a day serious meditations or prayers right up to once a year or none at all. A the temple I do to, we have the daily regulars, the weekly regulars, and the festival (5 or 6 times a year) regulars.

Although in the case you want to discuss the fellow is a Hindu, it permeates all religions. Sometime EI is low.

Agreed. What I had meant to ask is, is there some religious ceremony or ritual one is supposed to go through like in other religions in order to become Hindu or it is enough only to do like my friend and celebrate the religious occasions?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Agreed. What I had meant to ask is, is there some religious ceremony or ritual one is supposed to go through like in other religions in order to become Hindu or it is enough only to do like my friend and celebrate the religious occasions?

Most Hindus are born Hindus. Most will have a naming ceremony (called namakarana samskara) but not all. Converts and adoptives generally have no ceremony, they just start practising or believing what Hindus believe, and they're Hindu by default. People do vary on this. Some folks think you must be born a Hindu in order to be one, but that's rare and getting rarer. The vast majority accepts anyone, as long as they call themselves Hindu, and generally practice the religion. Still others are Hindu for all intents and purposes, but for various reasons, refuse to call themselves Hindu.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
One can have that if one so desires, but it is entirely optional. Many may not even go through any name change.
People should just keep away from costly procedures if any priest happens to suggests that.

ajay0

Forgiveness and loving behavior are considered as virtues in Hinduism, but whether Hindus apply them in their daily behavior or not, is their personal choice and proof of their character development or character defect.

The monotheistic Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider all virtues to be part of one's intrinsic nature, while vices stem from Maya and are not part of one's real nature.

Ok. Next. What do Hindus believe happens after death, do they believe in a heaven and hell?

Also I am guessing the punishment for wrong doing in Hinduism is karma and not having to answer to any God?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ok. Next. What do Hindus believe happens after death, do they believe in a heaven and hell?

Also I am guessing the punishment for wrong doing in Hinduism is karma and not having to answer to any God?
LOL-- Ask these questions in a room full of assorted Hindus and you'll get a hundred different responses;
different answers from different sects, and different answers from popular vs theological Hinduism.

Generally -- Hinduism believes in reincarnation, the circumstances of one's new life being determined by one's actions (karma) in the previous life. Some sects talk of various sorts of temporary Heavens or Hells the soul may inhabit between lives.

Hinduism conceives of the world we inhabit as a sort of dream or illusion (Maya). The "goal" of Hinduism is to wake up and transcend the illusion; to perceive or merge into the Real Reality. At this point the cycle of births and deaths is ended, inasmuch as this cycle is part of the illusion you no longer inhabit.

No. Karma isn't punishment, it means both action and the results of action. The result of wrong action isn't punishment. There is no concept of punishment in Hindu theology comparable to that of Abrahamic religions. There's no judge or judgement.

The results of action follow automatically. For example, if you walk in front of a bus you'll get smashed. This is not a punishment, but it is a result of a wrong action. If you rob a bank or beat your wife these will also have automatic negative consequences, if not in this life then in the next.

ajay0

Reincarnation is a major belief in Hinduism as taught in the Bhagavad Gita. As per one's karmas, good or bad, one gets corresponding bodies and environments in the next life.

As per the Prajapita Brahmakumaris, wrong karmas are inauspicious in that it distances us from God and auspiciousness while good karmas in turn brings us nearer to God and auspiciousness.

Good karmas brings back good returns and bad karma's brings back bad returns. We sow what we reap.

Brahma Kumaris - Karma

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The results of action follow automatically. For example, if you walk in front of a bus you'll get smashed. This is not a punishment, but it is a result of a wrong action. If you rob a bank or beat your wife these will also have automatic negative consequences, if not in this life then in the next.

I would just add that if you give a large sum of money or are a lifetime charitable donator, that too will return. If you're kindly, that too. I think sometimes people understand karma only in the sense of 'bad' karma. So if there is 'punishment' there is also 'reward'.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So if there is 'punishment' there is also 'reward'.
Like Valjean says, we reap what we sow over many births, that is the common Hindu belief, no interference by deities (though I reject rebirth). And like Vinayaka says, there are rewards and punishment (though not eternal) separately according to fixed law. So, could be 6 months in heaven and five months in hell. The good and bad deeds are never compounded (the sum would not be one month in heaven).

So wait, then hindus do believe there is a heaven and hell just they won't permanently live in either one according to their karma, is that accurate please?

Also to confirm no punishment or bad karma "in this life" for what they sow, only in the next life this will happen?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So wait, then hindus do believe there is a heaven and hell just they won't permanently live in either one according to their karma, is that accurate please?

Also to confirm no punishment or bad karma "in this life" for what they sow, only in the next life this will happen?

As to heaven and hell, there is no real consensus amongst all Hindus. As I said before it's almost always 'some Hindus believe', not 'Hindus believe'. So no it's not accurate for some, yet accurate for others.

As to karma, yes the repercussions to your actions can occur in this lifetime, sometimes almost immediately.

Thanks a million for your very patient and informative answers guys. I think I have covered all of my questions for now. If I should have any others in the future I will come back here, until then many blessings all!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Some Hindus believe in various sorts of inter-lifetime experience, just as some Christians believe we become angels after death. This is not a mainstream or Hindu-theology belief.

Repercussions of actions can occur immediately or be delayed till the next life. Sometimes both. Often wrong action yields positive short-term benefit -- politicians become rich and powerful, cheaters win, &c, but this is believed to negatively influence their station in the next life.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The full treatise on Karma: :D

The consequence or effects of one's karma can be described in two forms: phalas and samskaras. A phala (literally, fruit or result) is the visible or invisible effect that is typically immediate or within the current life. In contrast, samskaras are invisible effects, produced inside the actor because of the karma, transforming the agent and affecting his or her ability to be happy or unhappy in this life and future ones. The theory of karma is often presented in the context of samskaras.

Karmic principle can be understood, suggests Karl Potter, as a principle of psychology and habit. Karma seeds habits (vāsanā), and habits create the nature of man. Karma also seeds self perception, and perception influences how one experiences life events. Both habits and self perception affect the course of one's life. Breaking bad habits is not easy: it requires conscious karmic effort. Thus psyche and habit, according to Potter[10] and others, link karma to causality in ancient Indian literature. The idea of karma may be compared to the notion of a person's "character", as both are an assessment of the person and determined by that person's habitual thinking and acting.

Everything that we have ever thought, spoken, done or caused is karma, as is also that which we think, speak or do this very moment. Hindu scriptures divide karma into three kinds:

- Sanchita is the accumulated karma. It would be impossible to experience and endure all karmas in one lifetime.
- From this stock of sanchita karma, a handful is taken out to serve one lifetime and this handful of actions, which have begun to bear fruit and which will be exhausted only on their fruit being enjoyed and not otherwise, is known as prarabdha karma. Prarabdha Fruit-bearing karma is the portion of accumulated karma that has "ripened" and appears as a particular problem in the present life.
- Kriyamana is everything that we produce in the current life. All kriyamana karmas flow in to sanchita karma and consequently shape our future. Only in human life we can change our future destiny. After death we lose Kriya Shakti (ability to act) and do (kriyamana) karma until we are born again in another human body.

Last edited: